1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bleacher Report]How Badly Do Houston Rockets Need an Upgrade at Point Guard?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Junkyard Dog, Feb 2, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Looks like Ty Lawson to Houston is becoming serious but I think giving up DMO or T jones is risking alot

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Harden has singlehandedly carried this team to the playoffs twice. Teams are preparing their defense to stop him knowing he doesn't have any help. This season he has stepped his defense up, added a step back jumper to his arsenal and looks to get his teammates more involved all the while leading the NBA in scoring . If only they could knock down a wide open shoot. IMO that's a Superstar pimpn

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

and IMO

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Some players reach their peak earlier than others. Some players are labeled Superstars after one dynamic year of basketball. There is no clear cut definition but it's either you have it or you don't. Harden my fellow blogger has IT pimpn. That's why he leads the NBA in scoring, has his team in the 3rd seed in the West, makes his teammates better, stepped his defense up several notches from last season and leading his team like a boss.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely disagree here. like i said harden's on the right track and we will be seeing another test for his career in a few months

6. hakeemthagreat

Goran Dragic 16pts 4assist 3rebs

Ty Lawson 16pts 10assist 3rebs

Who's the better point guard again?:confused:

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lawson doesn't have to compete with Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas for touches.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Without a significant front court player who can help the Rockets (and I don't mean a star neccesarily but just a serviceable player) with Dwight out and then being productive with Motiejunas/Smith/Jones on the floor than I think Rockets are going to lucky to advance

I'd love a PG upgrade but you have to fill the most glaring hole coming into the season and until now.

Be patient for the right fit and keep those trade assets available

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

who was able to lead their team to a 48-34 record in the west, while one was 36-46. I'll take Dragic

10. hakeemthagreat

His career assist average is under 5 assist

11. hakeemthagreat

Leading? Their best player is Bledsoe. Why else is Dragic potentially on the block:rolleyes:

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup leading..so you think bledsoe is their best player, how can he have lead them when he missed half the season.:rolleyes:

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

with bledsoe the suns were 21-22 when he was playing. the games bledsoe missed phx went 27-12. yup that's LEADING by Dragic. atleast know what you're talking about before you think something is actually true:rolleyes:

14. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

One reason Dragic blends better is that he plays like a 2 guard and our 2 guard plays like a PG. Ty would need to take the ball out of Hardens hand to be effective. Point Guard is a lose term for the Rockets with Harden on the court. Dragic is also 6-3 and Ty is 5-11. Think of Ron Harper on the Bulls or Derek Fisher (Fish was strong) on the Lakers with Kobe. The Rockets PG needs to be a contributor without the ball and needs to hit the open shot.

15. hakeemthagreat

Do I think? lol. It's not even a question. He averages slightly more points and 3 more assist. PLUS he plays defense. In exactly what category is Dragic better than Bledsoe? And if Dragic was the better player, why is HE on the block and not Bledsoe. Take your time

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Both Lawson and Dragic are perfect fits for this team. So why are you gents arguing and debating whose better. Lol

Both players can create for themselves, create for others and play off the ball. Most importantly knockdown that mid range J and three pointer.

Yolo I wish we had actual NBA players, coaches, reporters, and commentators weighing in on the subject of Harden is or isn't a Superstar. I bet the percentage is higher in the direction of , "yes he is sir".

17. gregas

gregas Member

Emm ... longrange, midrange, at the basket, better at leading the team as a PG. Bledsoe having higher assist numbers is no surprise, 99% of the time your Pg will average substantially more of those than your Sg, and Dragic has been playing sg and even sf 93% of the time.

18. hakeemthagreat

Ty's better at creating his own shot. He's better getting others involved, and also a better defender. Do you guys want another shooting guard or a legit point guard that can score? You say you want a true PG, but the guys you hype on here don't fit that mold. Lawson's averages the same amount of points, hits his 3's at the same clip, while averaging around 10 assist his whole career. It's not even close who's a better fit

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't know if it is true this year, but the +/- for Dragic was much higher than it was for Bledsoe last year. When Dragic plays, PHX is a very good offense. With Bledsoe, it's "meh".

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

is bledsoe and all nba guard? let me know when that happens. take your time