1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Bleacher Report] Houston Rockets: 5 Steps They Need to Take to Become NBA Contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Lock if already posted.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-to-become-nba-championship-contenders#page/1

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

In before bleacher report hate! :grin:

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

surprisingly good post

4. Raven

Raven Member

5. Acquire Two-Way Players

As long as they don't cost us our draft picks, sure.

4. Dump Aaron Brooks

Trade, yes. Dump, no.

3. Keep Yao Ming—As a Role Player

No, he's become too much of a disruption. The Rockets need to move on.

2. Make Bold Moves

It takes two to tango.

1. Get Lucky In The Draft

The higher the pick, the less you need luck on your side, though there is always some risk. Are we ready to endorse tanking?

5. ThaShark316_28

Like I've said and I'll keep saying it:

You have to suck to get better in the NBA. Look at the contenders. Outside of LA, every contender had 1 or 2 lottery picks that gave them stars since 2003.

Miami, Boston (traded a lotto pick and a budding star), Orlando, OKC, Denver...in that time, the Rockets haven't had that chance to get that star. Rudy Gay has been good, but he's a 3rd option on a contending team.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

bleacherreport......hahahaha

7. 523744

523744 Member

Well the rockets did aquire the #2 pick(francis) in 99 and they had the #1 in 2002. Injuries are the downfall of the rockets and that's it.

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

That was the luck part. CD did a great job to present the chances to Rockets.

Unfortunately, he (or Morey) did not realize that Yao was not a franchise player. That was the bad management.

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Only the AB fan boys will hate this article.

I agree with most of those. #3 would be one I would want to change and say that trading Yao would be the best option for the Rockets at this point. There's no point in wasting any more time with the guy.

10. il italiano

il italiano Member

1. Get Lucky In The Draft

[QUOTE/]The higher the pick, the less you need luck on your side, though there is always some risk. Are we ready to endorse tanking?[/QUOTE]

i think hes talking about the knicks and their picks

11. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Except for...China revenue.

12. ItsMyFault

OK, so you would like them to make money rather than win. Yes, China's revenue is huge to the Rockets... but at some point you have to give it up. There's no way we're going to win with a center who's not a superstar anymore.

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It's the time for the rockets to rebuild. Yao won't resign with a rebuilding team. He will be 31 years old next summer. He will sign with the heat or thounder since they lack a good center.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Saw this earlier today.. Was gonna post it.. But I remembered it was the bleacher report..

15. il italiano

il italiano Member

disagree completely. to just let him walk would be ridiculous. sign him to a smaller contract and have be a solid role player in the lineup. there arent many quality bigs in this league, so to let him walk would be foolish. see what San Antonio are doing with Duncan.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The spurs are still contending, but the rcoekts are a lottery team. It's no meaning for Yao to resign with a rebuilding team. He and his people want to win a title more than anything.

17. il italiano

il italiano Member

we dont need to rebuild.

18. ItsMyFault

I didn't say we should let him walk. I said we should try and trade him. He's an expiring, so that has some value... but he's also a player that brings money.. and I know other teams would love to take that also. Bad example with Tim Duncan. Tim Duncan is still an effective player in today's game... not to mention he has more mileage on him than Yao and he's also not injury prone.

I'd be inclined to have having Yao with a smaller contract and for him to be a solid role player.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Interesting ...

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Unfortunately, that's not up to you. Yao would be inclined to sign with a contender for a smaller contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.