1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers Trading the 10th Pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by coachbadlee, Jun 5, 2013.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

http://nbadrafttiers.com/2013-nba-draft-rumors-65/

Too high for us to bother with:confused:? As far as Howard is concerned.

2. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Trob could be #1 pick this year(he's #2 in a lot of mock drafts in a much stronger draft class) if he stayed one more year...think about that and we may have a chance.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I've dismissed the idea of trading into this draft because of the cap room argument, but the cap hit on the 10th pick is around $2.25 million. There's also the possibility of taking a draft-and-stash player and getting them to sign that they won't be playing this year, wiping that cap hit off the books this season.

So yeah, I guess it is possible they could try to trade T-Rob to get into the first round of this draft... though I still think it's more likely they look at future considerations.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Robinson's selling point was NBA readiness and he dissappointed. He's paid a top 5 pick salary right now but I wonder if he'd get drafted in the lottery.

It will be interesting to see what Morey can do with him. #10 would be a major coup, imo

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I was hoping for Asik for the 10th + Leonard.

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No one likes this draft. So why should we bother trading for a pick this year?

7. basketballholic

Because we really like someone in this draft?

8. Big Red Machine

Seriously?

Just because there aren't very many players that project to be superstars, doesn't mean there are good players in the draft.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

What?

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this, and all it takes is one team that likes Robinson

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Meyers Leonard

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, if Robinson had stayed his senior year and done better than he did last year against low level NCAA competition, maybe he would have been a #1 pick. People might view such a performance as signs that he would play well against NBA players. Then again, they may not since teams tend to view seniors as having lower upside). If he had stayed and put up the same level of performance or worse (due to injuries or whatever), his stock may also have dropped.

Anyhow, the hypothetical is useless. The fact is that, instead of dominating the NCAA and convincing teams that he could play well against NBA players, Robinson played against actual NBA players and did rather poorly, even compared to other rookies. So, armed with this information, which would not have been available had he stayed in school, teams now rightly view him as a lower level prospect than they do a year ago.

What teams would have thought had he decided to hide his weakness in the NCAA another year is irrelevant.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TRob, RWhite and $3m cash money...and the 2nd round pick.

DD

14. thedude077

thedude077 Member

There won't be any good players neither. Maybe like only 2 or 3, but they will end up top 5. This draft is nothing special and it will be boring.

15. Big Red Machine

Thanks, Double Negative Nostradamus.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like this one. Doubt it happens considering Leonard coming on towards the end of the season.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yea, I agree but it would be the ultimate move. Get Dwight a very serviceable back up. Clear the cap room necessary for Dwight while holding on to all of our youngins and take a risk on someone there. I really like Giannis Antetokounmpo.

18. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I didn't think I liked this idea, but all I needed was coachbadlees stamp of approval to know I definitely don't like it. ;)

19. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I doubt it would happen depending on who Morey could get with that pick. And Portland may not be willing to give Asik $15 million anyway.

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Asik would help Portland so much, though. I think if they got Hibbert last summer (+ a few cheap serviceable backcups), they'd be a playoffs team. Even with Hibbert's poor offensive season.

I don't know if they'd do that particular deal but I think they should try their best to get Asik/Gortat, maybe Varejao. Maybe even take a chance on Bynum, though that something they probably aren't going to do given their experience with injured centers.