1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazer's "Talkin' Ball" Reaction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by halfling131, Apr 19, 2009.

1. halfling131

halfling131 Member

This is just the first 5 minutes of the Blazers post game show. The one thing I got from watching this is that Blazers fans don't blame everything on the refs..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9dolyji2iI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9dolyji2iI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I agree. And I can't stand watching a game that has the Mavs, Spurs or the Jazz. If you pay attention to it, you'll see there players constantly looking to the refs for calls they didn't get with a crybaby face on. It really is annoying.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

at the 1:42 mark of their own chosen highlights, fernandez runs over yao, leading with his left elbow into yao's collarbone......and gets the call over yao...

roy did the same thing twice as well...

and we still had them gasping down 31 - i don't think they have any reason to complain about the officiating for this game.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

When Yao picks up 4 fouls out in 24 minutes and sits out most of the 2nd half, most fans won't complain about the refs too much.

The refs still abuse Yao, but they were probably just making the game close.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

I thought the refs did pretty good job, except for the 4th foul on Yao.

Yao's third foul was a blocking foul. His feet were moving.

6. RocketsFan41

RocketsFan41 Member

Maybe that's because there is no reason for an anti-China lobby on their team?

:confused:

7. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I can't believe there are so many fans (mainly portland) that are complaining about the officiating. Unbelieveable.

I don't know what game the blazer fans were watching, but I saw an inexperienced young team get whooped up on by physical and precise veteran crew.

The Rockets saw how green these guys were and just kept their foot on the gas. 'Endo' story.

I don't see this series going past 5 games.

Unfortunately, the Lakers will be waiting for us... :(

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

These commentators were very fair. The officiating was also pretty balanced. I was annoyed at the fernandez blocking foul on Yao, but I think the refs tried to make up for it afterwards with a couple of calls in our favor.

Just goes to show that offensive foul calls are extremely tough to call, and pretty subjective. I think officiating will become a bigger deal when they switch to the fronting defense. It will be a matter of how often refs are willing to call the "grabbing Yao's waist and arm" foul.

9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I thought the officiating was pretty balanced... and pretty bad. Here are a few points:

1) The Rockets were flopping and should be ashamed. Battier and Scola both drew fouls that didn't exist. Scola I expect it from (and hate) but Battier seemed to be trying to oversell charges.
    2) Yao drew a charge (perfectly I might add) at one point and was called for a block.
    3) The Blazers were flopping and should be ashamed. Yao was benched at one point because of a successful Roy flop. Pryzbilla was pathetic and tried to flop multiple times.
    4) The foul calls went the Rocket's way in the first half, but I didn't see any grave injustice. Yao was actually getting the calls he should have. Roy got the calls when he deserved them. Greg Oden stepped up and played much better in the second half against Yao and Mutombo.
    5) Overall, I thought the biggest impact the officiating had on the game was Yao's D, so I don't think Portland should be complaining. Despite Yao's stellar offense, he was pulled several times in the game due to fouls, and was also tentative during the ENTIRE game on defense because of the first foul he made on a Roy drive.

I REALLY hope that this isn't another NBA series that someone always feels robbed by the officials on. Had this game been closer, we all would have been screaming about the bad officiating because Yao was benched so much.

10. Classic

Classic Member

Blazers fans shouldn't be complaining. They could have lost by 37+ if the officials made the calls on Greg Oden that they could have. Guy travels everytime he has the ball in the post--watch his feet. The and 1 on Mutumbo late in the 1st or early 2nd could have been offensive because he used his off elbow to clear Mutumbo.

That's not to mention the atrocious moving screens he and Pryzibella set.

This was a very evenly officiated game.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

At first when they were talking about the officiating, I was like, there's no way they can complain, they had flopping throughout the game. Then, I kind of lightened up, I didn't think those people were that unbiased (well at least I didn't expect it since they hadn't made the playoffs in a while and they really wanted to win). But anyways, they broke it down really well.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

All those complaints are things opposing fans frequently say about Yao.

13. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

how sad

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I think its pathetic how Blazers fans are reacting. Officiating doesn't lead to a 30 point blowout.

Officiating wasn't even bad to begin with.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Even the refs can't turn Aaron Brooks into Chris Paul, the Blazer's defense did that. At least, the Traiblazers fans were smart enough to realize it.

16. somenobody

somenobody Member

All the people forgot the elbow to Yao by Roy in the first half. After the foul was called on Yao, Roy just elbowed Yao for no reason. It is an automatic technical. It happened so early in the game and will absolutely influence the game if ref called it. I don't have the vidio, but ref was obviously not in anybody's side. Nobody should complain at all.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Surprise, surprise! Now we think the officiating was balanced and fair. I'm not gonna argue either way but if the calls went the other way, this board would be screaming bloody murder on the refs.

1 person likes this.
  18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think either scola or shane flopped much, they each had like one flop. Scola did throw his hands up a lot on screens likehe was fouled, but that's it. He tried to flop at the beginning when Lamarcus posted him up, but then he realized it wasnt going to work and he pretty much played him straight the rest of the way, except for the one time lamarcus did charge and scola fell back, getting the call.

Shane also flopped about once, possibly twice, but you may be thinking of the play up top where he stepped in front of outlaw and fell, that wasnt a flop. Matt pointed out how shane just guessed right and beat outlaw to the spot, battier even fell literally on his ass, when players flop they dont take their own feet out so they can land completely on their behind...

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

and i think these guys were pretty fair, especially the guy in the middle when he pointed out the blazers started focusing on just drawing fould instead of just playing. When you try to do it everytime the refs stop bailing you out.

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Not that much? You just cited at least 7 flops (assuming "a lot" means 3 or more).