1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers Rockets Reffing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aleron, Mar 9, 2014.

1. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Here's the 11:04 call. So frustrating.

http://on.nba.com/1k94w8Q

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Dwights second foul was such bull, Lillard was like 2 feet away from him!

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Quarter 3

11:43 Harden fouls Lopez, 2 fts

11:23 Parsons fouls Aldridge, 2 fts

10:46 Blocking foul to Harden, 2 fts

10:20 Lillard blocks Beverley

(Note : all 4 fouls have been soft, but my standard is if contact, refs get the benefit)

9:36 Lopez fouls Dwight (and 1)

7:58 Blocking foul on Beverley (and 1)

7:42 Jumpshot foul on Lillard to Bev, 2 fts - This one i feel like might not have been a foul, but no good angle, it got Lillard his 4th, Bev hit 1 - I'll give this +1 to Houston.

7:12 Batum undercuts Dwight, 2 fts

6:36 Matthews fouls Dwight, 2 fts

4:30-10 2 very close goal tend/blocks, one called tend to us, block for portland, both looked clean.

4:00 Lopez blocking foul against Parsons, 2 fts

3:40 Loose ball foul by Beverley on Williams

0.8 The out of bounds play to Dwight, I would like to note, I saw no evidence of the tip, the complaints coming from Matthews not Robinson seemed odd, and there should have been 1.2s on the clock.

All in all, the refs had very minimal impact in this quarter, a +1 to Houston, one thing that struck me was the sheer volume of early soft calls, +10 Portland total.

Editorial : I wonder if the refs deliberately inflate their call numbers if they have a half with a sheer volume of bad to try and improve their metrics, I would.....

4. Aleron

it was a foul, it came earlier in the shooting action, now for quarter 4

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

it real wasn't though he went to block the shot and wasn't even close, he didn't touch him at all... Aldridge got called for the same thing for his second foul. the refs were really bad.

Im watching the game right now and its pretty bad.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

both times the big man got called for a foul that the rim committed...

7. Aleron

Quarter 4

10:27 Loose ball foul called on Robinson

10:17 Robinson fouls Lin, 2 fts

8:20 Blocking foul on Batum

7:53 Harden scores 2, should have been an and 1, Williams right foot was in the restricted zone and falls down trying to take a charge.

7:20 Batum nut punches Harden

5:50 Lillard fouls Lin, 2 fts

5:34 Blocking foul on Parsons

4:36 Offensive foul called on Harden, side contact is an automatic block unless you push off, he didn't, Harden made the shot costing the team the 2 and the and 1

4:14 Out of bounds, clearly off Aldridge, given to Portland

4:08 Offensive foul on Lopez - makes up for the out of bounds

3:49 Shooting foul on Harden, Aldridge 2 fts

3:05 Blocking foul on Parsons, Adridge 2 fts

2:57 Blocking foul on Batum? (or Lopez) to Dwight, 2 fts

2:37 Lopez puts his arm in Lin's abdomen as he is trying to lay it up, no call

2:30 Matthews fouls Harden, 2 fts

2:10 Blocking foul on Matthews by Parsons, 2 fts

1:43 Loose ball foul on Parsons, Lopez 2 fts

25.0 Matthews reaches across Harden, no call - I'm with this being a no call, but just noted it for others

19.6 Lin fouls Matthews, 2 fts

16.4 Aldridge blocking foul on Lin, 2 fts

13.7 Out of bounds off Beverley - This one looks wrong (like the Bev Lillard one in Q3), but I can't see for sure to say it's wrong, scored 1/2 fts in ensuing play +1 Portland

12.2 Beverley fouls Matthews, 2 fts

Final net result of regulation : Portland +15, the Score was 106-106

8. Aleron

Overtime

4:22 Lin fouls Matthews

4:04 Batum fouls Lin

3:39 Lillard hits Bev in the face, 6th foul for Lillard

2:56 Beverley fouls Johnson, 6th foul for Bev, 2 fts

1:31 Matthews fouls Harden

35.4 Williams fouls Dwight, 2 fts

30.2 Dwight pushes Matthews

23.0 Matthews fouls Lin, 2 fts

No issues with anything in OT

Overall total is 10/64 with 3 bad no calls. The number of bad calls was 2 against Portland, 8 against Houston, and 3 no calls against Houston, the 11-2 outcome impacting the game to the tune of 15 points in Portland's favor.

#28 Aleron, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. Andrew Wiggins

I disagree. That was a reaching foul (which is called because it completely impedes the ball handler from attacking the basket). If it's not a reach then why does Beverley get called for MUCH LESS than that? Beverley even positions himself to the ball hand and then swipes at it so it's not a reach and they still call it. Clyde Drexler, a former NBA player who always sides with the refs, admitted that was a reach and should have been a foul.

If that's not a reach then just remember that come playoff time when Beverley gets called for a foul every time he steals the ball with less contact and reaching.

This was a crucial game for both teams fighting for home court in a touch WC and the officiating was this bad for the Rockets. It also gave the Rockets the tie breaker over Portland. I just hope we don't face a team like the Clippers who know how to sell it to the refs because if we do then we're screwed. Durant is also pretty good at it too. I'm not worried about jump shooting teams like the Warriors, Blazers, Mavs, and Suns.

10. Andrew Wiggins

Keep in mind how one-sided everything was IN the Toyota Center. This was a home game and if not for the fans calling out the refs then I'm sure the outcome would have been different and Harden doesn't get some of those calls.

Now, why are Blazers fans/players complaining again? Oh yeah, because the officiating "changed" and stopped favoring them thanks to the crowd.

11. Aleron

I said at the beginning that I wasn't going to 2nd guess "enough contact", had it been called a foul, i would also be ok with it.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Nice. And although I wasn't paying attention to the game closely, it seemed clear that overall Portland got most of the calls. I was quite pissed that the Rockets weren't getting the "homecourt bias" that we actually should've been getting.

But even disregarding that, I don't believe that during the course of the season, Blazers have not been helped by any flopping or ref bias in their wins. I don't watch them of course, but there's no way all their wins are "clean." Acting holier than thou is BS. When we got robbed by the refs in the Warriors game, I was disappointed but ultimately understand that games like that happen. That they'd be so pissed on a game like this is weird. It's as if they have this warped view of the NBA where if the refs weren't in their pocket all the time, then it must be some conspiracy against them.

I guess I chalk it up to a one-team city.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

still kinda find it funny to think that Wes Mathews had the stones to call out the refs for this game when:
    1. Had a chance to ice the game in regulation making FTs...
    2. While playing on the road, the Blazers got a ton of calls...
    3. Decide the best way to attack Harden was to post him up...

14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He also had more free throws than Harden despite being way less aggressive settling for jumpers and the game being on the Rockets home floor. He has no room to complain

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The worst of them all to me were the offensive fouls called against Harden (there must have been three at least since he had 5 by like the 2min mark left in regulation).

I swear that the defense taught to Portland players on how to guard Harden was to seek contact with the body and then to flail the arms, recoil in agony, +/- pirouetting. It happened every time Harden touched the ball, off screens, on drives, with minimal contact or a defensive foul in the process. Any and all situations. After Harden got his fourth foul (his fifth was the post up defense on Aldridge) he wisened up, and the refs swallowed their whistles thankfully.

But to me those offensive fouls on Harden were more egregious than the offensive foul on Hamilton or the 24 second violation that they allowed.

16. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

The one charge against harden when he went across Myers Leonard, and the non blocking call with contact against harden would have given him an and one. Those plays gave me heartburn. There seemed to be a lot more points taken off the board in this game.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Fantastic thread, but this one is just flat wrong. Harden dropped his shoulder and pushed off badly. James could have got the call if he didn't do that. It was a frustrating play, but the proper call.

18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Nice work, thanks

19. Aleron

I freeze framed that foul, what you're seeing is both players actually leaning forward but the camera angle is deceiving, it's closer to their hips, for that to be a charging foul, then tony parker has committed 4000 charging fouls throughout his career.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is good the game was refereed the way it was. The only fact that is known is that the Rockets won the game. Had it been refereed any differently, there is a possibility the Rockets would have lost.