1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Blazers]Luke Jackson in, Koponen out? Opportunity for Rockets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hooroo, Aug 21, 2008.

1. McGradyz1

McGradyz1 Member

Sorry for double post but HayesFan beat me to it.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It all depends on how well Koponen plays in Europe. He is only 20 right now. If he plays at a high level, he might make it to the NBA some day.

#22 saleem, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The problem I have is some posters are scared of the idea of adding talent and competition on this roster. There are very few players from here or abroad that are nba ready. As a oraganization, sometimes u have to project a guy's future to see what he can be. We've heard about either the lack of size or shooting from the pg. Here is a 6'5 pg who can shoot, with good court vision that's 20. Well, for the guys skillset and his age combined with his improvement over 1 summer, he was worth a gamble for say head and the 2nd rd pick. I mean u can never have enough good young players on your roster.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're correct in my opinion.Quite a lot of people are conservative,and don't look at potential upside. I'm not saying Koponen is ready,but he is interesting and has good upside.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Leeb,

Sometimes you make too much sense.

DD

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The problem I have is that some posters endorse players they've never seen play. Maybe I'm crazy, but I never say "Let's go get that guy!" unless I can see his potential firsthand. I never reject a player unless I've seen them either. Kaponen could be good or bad, I have no clue and no opinion. Perhaps you're a big fan of the Finnish league, but I've personally only seen him play a few minutes in the summer league.

On what basis are you judging his trade value? A few magazine articles and a scouting report? If so, I don't think you're informed enough to say he's worth anything.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

This thread is moot now that Pritchard has called Koponen's bluff.

All eyes should be diverted to Darius Miles to see what happens there.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I saw every one of Koponen's summer league games in their entirety. He is way overrated by some people on this forum. His NBA potential isn't really that high. If it was, Kevin Pritchard would have signed him and sent him to the NBDL. Saying he is 6'5, can shoot (sometimes) and has good floor vision is nice on paper. But IMO, he will be lucky to be a rotational NBA player in the future.

The same thing that happened with Donte Green happened with Koponen: Both guys took the summer league by storm in their opening game and then tailed off. If Koponen's last two games were his first two, fewer people would be talking about him. He tailed off quite a bit at the end. I was excited about him at first but then it became clear he had some beginner's luck. Once teams took him seriously, his shooting went downhill. (Before someone chimes in, I know he played a lot better than last summer).

DD, perhaps Koponen can replace V-Span as the object of your fantasies. I will admit he is a better NBA prospect and has a decent shot at making it next go round in 3-4 years.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we already have one in aaron brooks.

koponen is so young that he's years away from contributing. the rockets need to win now.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

All I'm saying is that there isn't nothing wrong with potential when we're talking about filling the back end of your roster. No one truly can tell how a 20 yr old will do, but the spurs had enough balls and they got a all star in parker who was 19. We have a guy starting at pg who was best known for streetball, yet he's starting at the pg spot. A classic example the celts signing O'Bryant and Miles. Now, I don't know if either moves will work, but they're low risk, high reward moves. Now I'm not saying Ainge is the best at doing stuff like this, but he might come out looking like a genius. Maybe Koppen is a scrub, maybe he's a upgrade of sasha with la.