1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blazers adjust their snoozing -- to stop losing

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Jan 16, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/01/snoozing_to_stop_losing.html

2. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Should have posted the whole article, you cut out a lot of good stuff.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Interesting read but if I see one more thread about the Blazers i'm going to start hurting people!!

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

15-20% is absurd.
    It reminds me of a college schedule, and realistically is not much different for a lot of these NBA players, many of whom skipped college entirely. Portland especially since they're so young.

What happens if you switch from 8am classes to noon classes? Yeah you will sleep a bit more, but you'll also stay up a lot later too :p . It's a dangerous tradeoff with players that like to go out a lot, since they now have a lot more time to do so. Maybe this is why Portland tried so hard to get rid of anyone that would have resembled belonging to the former Jailblazers.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You see snoozing as the subject and think boring, but the full article is a decent little read. Even if its all placebo effect, the sleep doctor might have been the difference from Portland being in our out the playoffs. Or if they play well enough the rest of the season, getting possible home court in the 1st round.

You can tell its a young team by how eager they wanted to improve their sleeping techniques. Older guys dont care so much about that stuff :eek:

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Damn, and we thought WE were cutting edge. That team has moneyball for scouting, a body mass doctor determining ideal body weight, a psychologist and now a sleep doctor? What's next? A ballet instructor to teach them to be graceful on court? A feng shui expert to dispel bad vibes? Four leaf clovers all around for that extra lucky shot? ;)

Still the benefits of good sleep cannot be disputed. Having a good rest results in a more alert mind, enhanced reflexes and more energy. You really have to hand it Pritchard and his crew for their open-mindedness. These Blazers have everything-overflowing youthful talent, a franchise star, a great coach, a savvy GM and a blank check for an owner.

LOL too bad they picked Oden over Durant. Pritchard probably still has nightmares about that :D

7. Crush

Crush Rookie

Except that when traveling, they have to wake up EARLIER than 8am. That's what you're missing.

And, if they do get better sleep, 100% great sleep, 15-20% will be there. Easily. Sleep is extremely important. Take this from a recovering insomniac. I see you seem to have some experience with that too. But trust me, once I'm well rested, I feel and achieve like a superhero

8. Crush

Crush Rookie

Oh boy, trust me it is no placebo effect. There is no need to cite no studies, sleep makes everything better. Makes you strong and smart. Not sleeping is why I'm flipping out here in this thread in the first place!

Of course, that begs the question, I probably feel this way only because I regularly go without. But then, who better than someone with experience with just how important sleep is? :cool:

Besides, if you find no benefit from sleep you are probably not too bright anyway and kind of girly :eek: so there's nothing to restore :D