1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blatant Trash Calls Buried Us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lawlruschang, May 6, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You cannot say the first bolded part .. . . then with a straight face say the second half of that sentence
    IF THE REFS killed our momentum . . .then the Spurs did not do a d*mn thing except gratefull accept the assistance

How many times did Aldridge and Gasol reach over the back and tip the ball?
    What is the point of getting great position when they can simple go over the back on you
    All that energy was wasted

I hate this mentality that the LEAGUE REFS and SPURS do something bad but we must search for a way to blame the Rockets for it. . . .

Rocket River

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Will

In a crucial moment of the 4thQ in tonight's game, Gordon Hayward just got the Harden 3-pt shot call for shooting through a defender's arm who was trying to go around a pick way out high. He kinda even took a dribble after the initial contact, but the arm was fouling him the whole way.

Everyone who knows how to do it is getting this call. Ppl have been increasingly copying Harden all year. But now only Harden doesn't get it?

I will say SAS did a great job of keeping their arms up last game, so I don't really remember seeing a no call that he should have gotten in Game 3. And I think it's great they are holding their arms up, because that is not the best defensive position to prevent a drive, and Harden easily got past Kawaii in the third, so it is preventing the call, but improving Harden's driving.

3. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I can absolutely say whatever I want. I also did it with a straight face. Go figure.

The reason is because whether the refs affect your rhythm or not, our team has to be bigger than that. If WE control the pace and are hitting shots, then f the refs. We have overcome them before. Believe me, I use the refs for excuses ALL THE TIME on these boards. This last game was not all on the refs, no matter what hand they had in it. Houston did not play winning basketball. The refs did not help a bit, but we lost by 11 that was much more like 4-5pt game where we couldve gained control at any time if we couldve been consistent for more than 3min at a time.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

So why don't players do something about it? I have little problem with this obvious reality: refs call games as they like and or are instructed to favour a team, player or the entertainment value with the goal of extending a series, making money on bets or help creating a narrative. The NBA is like WWE entertainment which is why I don't think many players truly care about winning. They know what they get into and sure they don't like it sometimes, but they accept this since they get paid and understand it's a league without integrity. It's like Hollywood more or less. If you don't agree, then ask yourself this: why do players accept fines for complaining? Why is there never a serious outrage over officiating to the point of refusal to play? They know they are part of a corrupt system and in order to stay in it, have to keep their mouth shut and play.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

During Game 3, the commentators even mentioned that Kawhi went and studied Harden to learn how to get to the line more.

It's kind of frustrating that the grandaddy of all this stuff isn't getting the respect for it. Harden does A LOT of little things to get those fouls, they are risky moves, he has the guts to try this stuff because when it doesn't work out, he looks like a fool quite frankly. That's why I've always respected him, and he drives the lane A TON and players (except for Harden) are always respected for slashing as much as he does.

The rest of my post is a bit of a tangent, just quoted that because I thought it was interesting to remind people that Kawhi even studied Harden.

I'm fine with them changing this call so that it is a foul on the floor. I think that would be a really good moderate change to how they call that.

I'm not fine with the idea that it should be an O.Foul. No. Harden, like any offensive player, has a right to go up and shoot the ball. If the other players hand is in the way, that's just too bad on the other player. I see some people thinking it should be an offensive foul because Harden initiates the contact...at the same time though, Harden REALLY does take those quick 3s sometimes some distance behind the 3 point line. You can't then get into his mind and say that he did it just to get a foul.

The Taj Gibson one is the perfect example. Gibson's arm was in the way, had it not been in the way Harden has an open shot. Why should Harden WAIT for Gibson to get his arm out of the way to pull up for what would be an open 3?

That is the play in question. Yes, Harden hooks his arm, but if he didn't hook his arm he'd still run right into it. I'm fine with that being on the floor and 2 shots if in the penalty though, but not an offensive foul.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is clear some refs do not like harden and officiate him differently than the other refs.

I expect us to get a lot more call tonight. The nba will want a game 6

7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

people don't understand the concept of momentum fully. When you are up, you shoot with more confidence you will drive more aggressively, you play your game. When you are constantly down in the game, and you can't get anything going you get frustrated, you do things you normally wouldn't do, you rush of shots, you hesitate and overthink whether or not you should shoot. You simply make more mistakes and play outside of your game when you're down because you want to do more then you probably should to get back up.

I don't blame the Rockets, but you saw it at the very end of the game with four minutes left we were down by eight points and if we just played straight up we could've had a chance. instead, they started forcing the action and double teaming and that led to a green wide-open three to make it an 11 point game.

cbs1507 likes this.
  8. hakeemthagreat

This is pure stupidity. One call, let alone MULTIPLE bad calls, can switch the momentum of a game. If the Rockets hit a few 3's combined w/ a few good defensive stops, then get a horrible charge call & string of other mysteriously bad calls, that can affect the game. Basketball is a game of rhythm. By giving bad calls, the refs are controlling the game by breaking up the flow of the game

Plowman likes this.
  9. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Cool, congrats on thinking what I said is pure stupidity. I am not really interested in your opinion of my opinion. I blame the refs a lot, so I know what it feels like to do so and believe so. In this case, I believe we could have overcome it and did not play in a manner that could have done so.

10. tarantula

tarantula Member

Someone need to make video about every bad call, so we can go viral. Fizdale was god damn right and i ****in' hate Spurs now.

Vivi likes this.
  11. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

LOL Clint fouled the shyt out of Pau and no call. The refs are helping us tonight!

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Which refs? Which game?

Last I know your Mavs are out fishing

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Are you glad the refs did not call that foul on Clint or are you a fake Rockets fan?

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and it continues

Rocket River

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More of the same.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is Khloesque harden screwing.

17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

An inside look at Pop's defensive gameplan:

Refs will call the foul if you reach with your hand. But if you reach with your pelvis, it's all good. Fall down every once in a while, too. James will be called for a charge. Your pelvis cannot foul, but it can be fouled. Pelvic defense. Run it.

Kawhi is also immune to charges. Free arms, lowered shoulders, and bulldozing. None of those can be called on him. He has unlimited travel points, too.

Flop when Harden drives. You will get the benefit of the doubt. All the charging calls that should be called on Kawhi need a home.

Plowman likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If I slap you wrist. . . the ball flies away . . .. . . It's a turnover

Who is to blame for that turnover. . . . you, me or the ref?

Rocket River

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Eh, it is what it is. I thought the officiating would improve, but that was clearly incorrect. We had to overcome it tonight, and we couldn't.

20. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

The simmons foul on harden that ended up being a TO....the charge, and the kawahi foul on capela. My goodness hwo obvious can those calls be.

snowconeman22 likes this.