1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Blasphemy] Is Clyde's Importance to the Rox Overstated due to his UH Roots?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Mar 13, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Alright, I know some will disagree with me on this. But I gotta come out and say it anyway. And maybe I'm doing it cuz I'm still annoyed about our Matador D last night on Barbosa.

I seriously think Clyde's importance to the history of the Rockets has been extrenely over stated by fans because of his UH roots. As a long time Rox fan who doesn't give a rat's arse about the University of Houston, I see a guy who couldn't get it done in Portland and had to ride Dream's coattails to get his ring. Harsh? Yes I know. and like I said, I'm annoyed so forgive me if I am committing Rox blasphemy. I just don't see the lore with Clyde. To me, he's like Mario Elie or Robert Horry, guys who contributed, but were only lucky enough to ride Dream's coattails.

I guess it just bugs me when people talk about him like he spent his prime with the Rox when he only played 3.5 years with us. A great guy who came over in the twilight of his career and helped us get another ring, but that's it. He shouldn't have his number retired just for those years.

End of rant. flame on if you wish, just remember i have my fallback option of claiming to be annoyed form the SUns game.

2. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

He brought one more ring to Houston, that is enough to retire his number.

3. hotballa

So why don't we retire every guy who was on the 94-95 team?

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are not serious.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Clyde did a boatload more than ride coattails. It could be argued that he was nearly as important as Hakeem in their time together. He was the facilitator of the offense, led us in assists, was second in points and boards, a strong defender, and was a clear leader.

Yes, his history with the city and with Dream went a very long way as far as his place in Rockets lore and getting his number retired. But unlike Walton's ring with the Celtics, I doubt we'd have that second championship without him. He was a major part of why we remained so good in 96 and 97.

Evan

6. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

dude chill out. Clyde is a living legend there is no way we would have won in 95 without him. I guess you forget how bad our chemistry was before the OT trade ,Clyde was the spark that turned around that season. He is a great player that helped bring a championship to us. He may not be calvin murphy on the microphone but who is? We all miss calvin but let us not understate what clyde has accomplished for us on the court.

7. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Well, we probably would not have that second ring if we had not done the trade. Not only because of Clyde, but the morale boost he brought to the rest of the team going into the playoffs. We had a pretty ****ty regular season that year.

8. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

As much as I love Mario and Horry (they both were huge pieces of the puzzle), they didn't average nearly 21 ppg, 7rpg, and 5 assts in the '94-'95 playoffs like Clyde did. While Dream was clearly the number one option for us at the time, Clyde was no slouch either.

9. hotballa

I don't dispute he had great years with the Rox. I'm just asking, would you have been ok with retiring Beltran's number if he had brought the World Series to the Astros and then left or got traded after a couple of years assuming he re-signed with the Astros?

If TMax won a ring this year, and then retired, would his number also get retired?

It just seems that Clyde's UH roots went a long way to making him to be a more important figure than he really was in terms of his place in Rox history.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree somewhat, but its hard to argue because of the championship. its not like the rockets are the lakers are the celtics with more than 10 championships. there are only two, and both were very special in their own way.

at the same time, why the guy has so much clout in the organization is beyond me. he doesn't want to do road broadcasts, except games in phoenix or miami apparently. bullard has to do road games and can't even do the good ones. its ridiculous.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

horry and sam and otis and vernon deserved IMMORTALITY.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To me, Clyde was very important to our second championship, but he spent most of his best years with the Blazers. Clyde with the Blazers in his early days was a better player than old Clyde with the Rockets. After the 2nd championship, Clyde's old age caught up with him. I remember him missing a dunk against the Lakers.

13. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Hotballa,

You have gotten valid responses to your question, and aren't satisfied. Sounds to me like you just want people to agree with you. Do you ever rest fighting the battle of who could care less? :rolleyes:

-P1st, S2nd

14. conquistador#11

What about scotty brooks? :confused:You guys forgot to mention him.

On drexler's jersey being retired.....He earned it.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is actually a good question - a valid one. Realistically speaking, when you look in the rafters and see the retired jerseys, you see some names that equate to "Rockets". They were ROCKETS. Clyde was here for a bit and was an important part of a championship, but you can say the same for Mario Elie, Robert Horry, vernon maxwell, and co.

My answer : Clyde's jersey is retired because he was a Houston Cougar legend as well as a Houston Rocket champion. He was a Houston boy from the beginning regardless of his Portland ties, he was an NBA superstar, and he returned to get his first ring. Retiring his jersey kind of completes the circle.

*EDIT* : Oh, and I have no problem with that... he's a Houstonian - he should be rewarded. ;)

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Errr... the dude sorta pulled a superman during the Utah series... there's no way we'd have got past the Jazz without him, and therefore no way we'd win that second championship. End of story.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What about Elie's Kiss of Death? Horry, Maxwell, and Smith's 3's? You can say that about a bunch of people on that team. I'm not disagreeing, just countering/playing devil's advocate. :)

18. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

He played a critical role in the 2nd championship, and even though we lost in the WCF to Utah in 1997, getting that far was no guarantee, either. It is the combination of his overall career and his contribution to the Rockets. If he would have been an average player with flashes of greatness (Maxwell), he would not have had his jersey retired. If he would have been a great player but one who did not help us win a ring (Barkley), his jersey would not have been retired. It's that he was/did both.

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The same argument can be made if Moses Malone's jersey is retired by the 76ers. He helped them win 1 championship, but the large majority of his career was with other teams. If Philadelphia has already or plans to retire his number, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

20. hotballa

I guess I just think a player needs to have at least five years of service to a team before we should retire his number. It sort of cheapens Hakeem's accomplishments and everything he did for us to someone who looks up and sees Clyde's jersey on the same level as Dream's.

btw, in response to others, I think we should retire the entire 94-95 team :D