1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blame this on Social Media

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 7, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You wouldn't be able to post here so that would be a plus.

jiggyfly, B-Bob and dookiester like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And, now Google removes parler...

DVauthrin and mdrowe00 like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t need social media
    Only 99er media

4. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

5. tinman

Supporting Member

99er media is user created content
    Not like these bots who post in the D&D

6. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Ottomaton and B-Bob like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers are the content

8. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin, Ottomaton and B-Bob like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It is about time these companies take some action.

I'm happy to see this come to fruition.

No President, or elected official, should ever have anything other than private social media. If you want to talk to the people, host a town hall, or get on tv. Let's put some normalcy back into this country.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Years ago, the government debated ways to get all the data on as much of the population as they could. They tried hundreds of ways.

Then cell phones came out. They started tracking texts and calls. The Snowden happened. (He should be pardoned, by the way)

Now, to get around Snowden, we have apps that allow us to post much of this info online, voluntarily surrendering this information.

I know that sounds crazy and conspiracy theory-ish, but the government loves it. It gave them exactly what they've been after for 25+ years.

Also, if you don't think China, Russia, Iran, ISIS, etc. aren't harnassing social media (facebook groups and the like) to sew discord and hype all this up, you're kidding yourself.

These companies really need to re-evaluate themselves after what's been going on. They need to decide what's more worth it: corporate greed that could potentially split this country into a civil war or readjusting algorithms to say maybe money, greed, and selling you that shiny new razor that they think you need isn't worth all of this.

Banning Trump is a big step for them. I'm certainly glad to see it. Next they need to coms together from an engineering level to fix the real problem.

I'm sure all of this sounds crazy to you guys. Maybe I seem like a lunatic going off on a tangent. This is a real issue though. It's one of the many things guys like Yang were so keen on getting into the public eye.

#70 Two Sandwiches, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As long as the internet is still there there will be other forums that will sprout up and people will find ways to circumvent them. Obviously big money making operations like Facebook or YouTube won't exist but we'll go back to things like sharing email strings, IRC chats and Pirate Bay.

If we want to look at how successful policing the Internet will be consider the Great Firewall. For all that the PRC has put into it it is remarkably porous. Even the PRC realizes that there is only so much they can do to police the internet including social media because it would take massive resources and would be detrimental economically to severely restrict it.

My own view has been that the problem isn't a matter of speech on these sites but how the algorithms work to reinforce messages and essentially radicalize people. Sites like FB aren't anywhere close to post anything and everyone has the same chance of seeing anything but specifically target content. For example as a someone interested in martial arts I see a lot of "recommended" posts about martial arts and ads about martial arts. What happened and what the Russians used was understanding that creating content and ads with names like "Angry Patriot" wouldn't just be drifting out in the sea of content but would actually be directed to the people most amenable to that. So if in 2014 I had posted "Hillary Clinton is a Criminal!" chances are I would soon start seeing a bunch of recommended content and ads for things like "Clinton Cash" and "The Truth of Benghazi."

I think finding a way to address how those targeting algorithms work will go a long way to reducing the radicalizing ability of social media.

jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So I decided to look at some of garbage that the insurrectionists and some of the usual suspects on the forum probably consume. Thedonald forum or something similar.

https://thedonald.win/

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

14. Major

Major Member

Absolutely - but the difference between Twitter and FB vs email, IRC, and Pirate Bay is the ability to reach the random masses. The white supremecists and militia types have always and will always be there. The difference now is that they have social media to organize and brainwash unsuspecting people. Wednesday's protest organized on IRC has like 50 attendees and doesn't have the boom of Trump's microphone to promote it.

jiggyfly and R0ckets03 like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Follow. The ****ing. Money.
    Fascinating digging so far.

mdrowe00 and jiggyfly like this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

question now is where does epoch times get its money

mdrowe00, jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  17. KingCheetah

That doesn't look familiar AT ALL.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

trump and his enablers will try to distract the focus on "high tech"...

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sarah, don’t forget Forbes put you on permanent blast. That also sucks for poor you.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

sarah huckabee...