1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blame rap music? :Son of DJ Quik arrested for murder:update: lives of middle and rich class Blacks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, May 29, 2022.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obviously specific situations can't be ignored. On things like not interviewing candidates with black sounding names, I'm sure most major companies address this with hiring managers. And that's the point about institutional racism.

I'm sure someone with a really black sounding name one day realized it was detrimental. Now companies address this. Also that is very specific and situations will be addressed, because the federal government makes sure companies clean up their acts.

We don't need spend time or effort to find them. They are difficult to find and if it becomes a large issue, it gets fixed. It's not ignoring.

We need to make the next step in addressing inner city dysfunction. The government has done everything it can to correct current racism and how the past affects us. The last step in breaking cyclical poverty is teaching people to make productive choices

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

You keep conflating my talking points. I didn't say those acts get ignored, I said we can't ignore the lasting effects of institutional racism. I haven't implored the government to do anything, people need to change and no government intervention is going to help that but ignoring the fact that it does exist doesn't help either. It needs to be addressed as well.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And you're gonna change people? People are the one thing that can't be changed but it happens over time. I was in high school and there is a lot more tolerance now there was then and then a lot more then than the seventies

Edit I was in shock in the 90's

#123 pgabriel, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  4. Lil Pun

Like I've said, I don't have all the answers or solutions but I know we can't ignore all aspects of the problem either. You grew up in a stable, middle class black family and apparently live a nice life now. I grew up in a less stable family, I assume, and live a pretty good life now, at least from my POV. There are people that have been blocked from reaching that comfort in one or possibly multiple ways. There is nothing wrong with any of these scenarios. Black people are varied. All of our histories our valid and we shouldn't be held to one narrative for all black people. You haven't been affected by racism? Great! That doesn't mean somebody else hasn't been and that shouldn't be ignored. Again, I don't have the answers to solve that issue(s) I just don't think you ignore it.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She’s alive and not jail

just proves that living in Beverly Hills
    Is
    Not
    Just
    Like Compton

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pun

I respect the fact you listen to me and don't call me Uncle Rukus. Again I used to not makem my feelings on these subjects known as not to seem to agree with people with racist intentions. I think that is a problem among us, that people are afraid to be honest.

I'm not changing your mind but I want to be clear. I don't think racism is a problem. In terms of jobs, I worked corporate jobs. I think Black candidates have no problem in corporate America. There will always be bad actors but you don't here about it and to be quite honest there aren't enough of us.

In the general labor world that I live in now, young black males do have a stigma to battle. Regardless of its justification or not, Hispanics have a much better reputation and alone their good reputation is deserved.

I'm really not concerned about other issues other than employment and there is no other major issue. We have seen police but the headlines make it seem more prevalent than it is

#126 pgabriel, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@Lil Pun

All the noise we make is about racism. We are witnessing disturbing crime rates. The percentage of black suspects is getting worse. At some point if we don't correct our house, we will have no credibility.

Watching local news.

8. Lil Pun

That wasn't your initial point that I refuted.

9. Lil Pun

I do agree that the racism slant does get used when it should not get used often. Sometimes you got fired because you did a poor job, not because you were a specific race. Sometimes you get arrested because you committed a crime, not because of your race. So on and so on. That's an issue because it leads to attitudes like your own where people say "racism isn't and issue" and when racism persists in these segments and actual racist events happen, it gets dismissed because they group it in with those scenarios I just mentioned.

I will also agree that the media either overplays it or they just plain get it wrong too. This is just as damaging as what I mentioned above because you get people we need to be on our side bombarded with "racists does ________" and they end up feeling that same way.

Despite that, I see major issueS, one of those being racism that affects upward mobility in society in a number of ways, and it looks like we're just going to have to agree that we disagree. Is it the only issue, no, and I never said it was but it is an issue nonetheless that has persisted much longer than people care to admit.

pgabriel likes this.
  10. Lil Pun

Who exactly is we?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Blacks

I don't want to start a tangent but crime has obviously risen but the demographics are more violent crime by young Black men in percentage wise.

As much as we talk about racism the news in an attempt to not ne racist, actually protects us. It doesn't focus on race. I posted the article earlier but I'm making another point that credibility is an issue.

Edit:potentially an issue. In practicality we're a long way from that but it would only take one voice to make it an issue

#131 pgabriel, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  12. Lil Pun

Let's be clear about this, we (black people) aren't the only ones making noise about racism. Going back to the media, there aren't black people that own or control these larger media companies and their narratives, hell I'd venture to say the smaller ones too. Going back to society, there are other races that will scream something is racist against black people/person without knowing the whole story or something else and honestly, they get more attention than a black person screaming it. Racism isn't just a problem for black people, other races are affected by it too when it happens. I'd like to look at the issues as societal issues instead of certain race issues. Black people can't fix problems relying on only black people just like white people can't fix white problems relying on only white people and that goes for other races too.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

She’s in much better shape than Quik’s kids. If she was in a car accident or something that’s an external issue not caused by living exclusively in the hood
    The further I investigated her issue, it was her poor choice of dude who got her pregnant and her attitude , which could stem from anything

this still isn’t murder

Murder was not the case that they gave her

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes the media talks about it. That proves my point. No one is talking about broken homes. If pandemic crime continues to increase it won't be able to be ignored.

At this point, pandemic crime can't be justified by the pandemic. There are too many jobs

15. Lil Pun

She's not doing well, unless you consider homelessness well. That was your original point but you have changed it several times now to appear as something else. You were wrong.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

She should have more respect for her father
    This is what happens
    When
    You forget
    About
    Dre

17. Lil Pun

How does that prove anything? What constitutes a broken home? Teenage pregnancy? Those rates have fallen. Unwed pregnancies? Those rates have fallen. Crime rates? They've largely fallen although shootings/murder is up. What exactly should they be reporting on?

18. Lil Pun

Again, not your initial point. You were wrong. You know it, actually shows character to admit that?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

20. Lil Pun

That doesn't define what a broken home is. You call it a cause yourself up there. What constitutes a broken home, what defines it?