1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blame RA for the loss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeterKingX, Apr 22, 2009.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Blame goes to whole team:

Yao for not demanding the freakin rock
    Adleman for not coming up with a better game plan. Especially for not putting Battier on Roy when Ron is getting lit up.
    Artest for playing like crap after the first quarter.
    Role players for not being aggressive the entire game.
    Everybody missing free throws (especially Scola!)

and the refs didn't help either.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There collective amnesia that JVG somehow dealt with the fronting problem better than Adelman. We were having the same arguments a few years back about how to beat fronting.

As far as all of this blaming Adelman I wonder if people have been watching the same game and same Rockets team that I have the past two seasons.

Seriously blame Adelman when even though Yao was shut down by the Blazers we only lost the game by 4 points.. :confused:
    Adelman had a great game plan that distributed the ball got other players scoring, got the Blazers' bigs in foul trouble even without Yao dominating the paint. We scored over a 100 points with Yao only getting six shots. Consider in the JVG days when that happened we struggled to score out of the 70's.

Adelman isn't perfect but consider what he has done with this team over two years with season ending injuries to a star in each season. Injuries and trades requiring improvised line ups he's done a pretty good job. For all of JVG nostalgia consider four years ago when we had a season decimated by injury we didn't even make it to the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wisdom on display! ^^^

4. young.k.n

young.k.n Member

stop blaming and thinking about how to win game 3

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I could totally imagine how shameless you are while checking every thread whehter made in China. But you utter 'shame' this word so frequently is far beyond my imagination.Why don't firstly get back home to question your mom whether you are also made in China?

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Remember when McGrady not playing was basically an automatic loss.

Artest has filled in some of that void but it's not just him. The talent has improved and we have a better offensive coach.

This team is transforming in front of our eyes, and a lot of that credit goes to Adelman's coaching abilities and his willingness to go in a new direction - his willingness to break the mold, so to speak.

7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I surely tell you most of rox games i have watched since JVG come in Houston.
    During JVG era, indeed we sometimes get owned by some teams through fronting Yao, but under RA's offence system now, we always get owned through this. I don't think JVG would allow his team only feed Yao six times a game. Yes, our offence right now is much better than before, but please don't forget during that time we only have Juwan Howard or David Wesley.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

During the JVG era the Rockets could overcome this by playing even harder defence on an opposing team. A team as young as portland would have no chance with JVG as coach. RA is not the mastermind that we all think he is. Not with the players we have. He really has yet to show me he knows how to utilize the big man in the middle. I am not saying JVG is the right coach for the Rockets but I am saying Adleman is not. He has more talent on this team than the previous Rockets teams under JVG. This is where I truly do miss having a healthy TMac on our team. It just shows that right now we truly are lacking that second or first punch. Artest is proving to be a good third option but definitely nowhere close to the vicinity of being a reliable first or second option. I've been done with the Rick A experiment for a while but here's to hoping he proves me wrong.

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So tell me how to distinguish between positive threads and negative threads? When somebody points out Rick Adelman failed to do his homework, you said it's not belong to posive point, it's so crappy way. When somebody is so happy about we steal a win in Rose Garden and give his all props to our great coach Rick Adelman, you said it's definitely positive point and an absolutely nice way to motivate our players. Come on, guys, I start this thread just want everybody discussed and figured out what's wrong with us.

10. ExJordanary

ExJordanary Member

words of wisdom, RA IS CLUELESS, how can you lose a 7'6 guy in your offense???? and hes GOT TO BE tougher with ron when he chucks **** up, and to me it was clear that ron could not keep up with roy, so why not try something else?? and possible solution to them fronting yao is a quick pass to the corner and them a slip pass to yao? or maybe even set yao up further from the basket (15-18ft) and use him like brad miller in sacramento up at the high post

11. redao

redao Member

Dat showed your class.

ban this guy and his China mom.

12. BrooksBall

First, you say this team has more talent than any previous team under JVG.

Then, you point how much we miss Tracy McGrady as a legitimate first or second scoring punch.

Therefore, Adelman lost what you consider to be our first or second scoring punch, nearly led us to the 2nd seed in the Western Conference, led us to 1 out of 2 wins on the road to start the playoffs and you are saying you are done with the "Rick A experiment," as if he is some unproven nobody.

And let's not forget, Yao missed much of the second part of last season and all of the playoffs. Every major sports media outlet picked us as the team likely to miss the playoffs when Yao went down. Adelman stayed cool and had a lot to do with our continued success.

So, in his first two years, he led us to consecutive 50+ win seasons with one of his two top players missing the second halves of the season.

For this, you have long been done with the "Rick A experiment."

Fortunately, your opinion of Rick Adelman means nothing.

1 person likes this.
  13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I can't deny RA has made huge contribution to our young player growth. But he really get yao a little bit like the Brad Miller without fast moving steps. Of course, Yao 's offence ambitious is also a very important factor. I really hope RA could do some ajustments and establish offence around Yao in the third game.

14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Sorry, I have to try hard to low myself to match up with you, in case you can't understand my words. Stop whine here like a sissy!!!

15. BrooksBall

I guarantee there are a ton of people that post here that would be ecstatic if Yao went for 30 and 10 and we lost.

To them, Yao putting up big numbers feeds their egos... it makes them feel like they are big and bad.

Adelman builds team success, not individual success. Look at his track record. His teams have generally been balanced offensively with several players contributing game in and game out. The reason for this is that he doesn't go into games saying "get this guy the ball every time down the court no matter what the defense is doing".....

His ideal offense is designed to read and react to what the defense gives you. It isn't built around force-feeding a guy that is double teamed just because that guy is considered the best player on the team.

16. RockieGuy09

RockieGuy09 Rookie

What you said maybe true. And I also want to guarantee that there are a few idiots that post here that would be ecstatic if Yao went for 10 and 5 and we lose. Who are they? Hint: look for the posters who are nowhere to be found after Yao has a good game and we win (like after game1) but crawl out from their hole to do the bashing after Yao has a subpar game and (even better) we lose (like after game 2).

17. 99bb

99bb Member

Unfortunately, it will be too late. :(

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I disagree with your opinion. Shaq' Oneal has the same fronting problems I think. Provided Shaq is in RA's ideal offence system, and get six shot attempts per game, guess what it would be? I don't think he has the same good temper as Yao.

19. BrooksBall

We can win games without Yao putting up big numbers that feed his fans' egos and Adelman knows that.

This doesn't mean Adelman doesn't want Yao to put up big numbers. It means that if the defense is throwing everything into double-teaming Yao and taking advantage of his lack of athleticism, then other players have a 4-on-3 advantage if they run the offense correctly.

Trying to force feed Yao the ball into double coverage is a disaster waiting to happen. There are likely a couple of plays where Yao can get open despite the double teaming but unless the defense pays for double teaming Yao, we are screwed.

It is an absolute necessity to get the rest of our players to take advantage of the double teams. Forcing the ball to Yao is not the answer. There are players in this league that can beat double teams on their own... about 3 of them (LeBron, Kobe and Wade) and even then, those guys generally look for their teammates when they get double teamed.

You can't give Yao the ball on the 3-point line and have him create his own offense. If an opponent wants to sandwich Yao down low, Yao's teammates must take advantage for us to be a real threat in the postseason. Once the rest of the players prove they can do that, Yao will get better looks. There is no middle ground. That is the next step we need to take. If we don't have the talent to take advantage of the double teams, we will lose and have to start over in 2009/10.

Forcing the ball to Yao is a recipe for failure and we've seen how it fails time and again. There were a number of games this season where we tried it and things fell apart, especially in crunch time. Yao can't handle the ball and he's slow. It's easy to take him out of the game by putting two bodies on him. The best PG and the best wing player in the league wouldn't be able to get Yao the ball in those circumstances. They would instead find other sources of offense by scoring themselves or setting up the other three guys on the court.

We can't be successful in a one-dimensional offense, which some of you like to call "Get Yao Ball No Matter What Cuz He Is Big Yao."

20. BrooksBall

Yao Ming isn't as strong, talented or mobile as Shaquille O'Neal was in his prime.

Other than shooting touch, Shaq is better at every single aspect of the game of basketball... and their are A LOT of other aspects to the game of basketball and, specifically, the center position.

In the twilight of his career, Shaq is still on the same level as Yao. In his prime, Shaq was twice, maybe three times the player Yao is in his prime.

You are right. Shaq would be furious about getting so few touches and he would be able to do something about it. At a minimum, he would still dominate at the other end.

Players like Brandon Roy would never finish so easily around the rim with Shaq in the paint. Bigs would never slide around Shaq so easily to grab offensive boards and get easy putbacks.

On the offensive end, Shaq would seal his man much, much, much better and he has much, much, much better hands to receive passes with. He'd do a far better job collecting missed shots and THROWING IT DOWN.