1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blame D'Antonio for letting Harden be a Hog

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by deb4rockets, May 10, 2017.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

There's only one poster on this forum who could make this about Dwight. X______X

deb4rockets likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So there are only 3 or 4 players in the NBA who shoot better than .283 from behind the arc in the playoffs? So there are 3 or 4 players in the NBA who take twice as many 3 pt shots as everyone else even when they have the lowest shooting percentage? So there are only 3 or 4 players in the NBA who turn the ball over less than 9 times in a clutch playoff game? Sure, he gets a lot of triple doubles, but at what cost? If he takes the majority of shots to score those points then it isn't in our best interest. If he plays so many minutes he can't put much effort on defense then it isn't in our best interest. If he gets so tired he makes careless turnovers, can't focus, and just can't do more than stand there dribbling for 20 seconds, then he is killing us. He is not above being coached. He hasn't earned that right, and certainly hasn't played enough years to think he knows more than everyone. Yes, it is that easy. If he can't or won't allow himself to be coached, I say don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Rocketeer4Life likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Smh, how many players in the NBA are better than Harden or would do better than what he's done with this roster? Answer that question. U can't name more than 3 or 4 players and u know it. If you don't have a Lebron, KD, Curry, or Leonard (4 guys that we have no shot of getting), then Harden is the best that you're gonna get. So no, it's not that easy :rolleyes:. I love when fans say ridiculous things like "trade Harden" as if we could do better. Would u rather this team be led by guys like Westbrook, Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, or Paul George instead? Or would u rather that we trade him for lotto picks, miss the playoffs altogether, and hope that the guys taken with those picks end being even 75% as good as Harden is right now? Stop the nonsense.

over here acting as if superstars are just lining up to play in Houston and we can get rid of Harden and just get another superstar as good as he is instead

4. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

If he continues to take twice as many 3's as everyone, continues to not be "coached" into changing the things he does that kill us in games that matter, then yes. The star doesn't have to be a guard. Our guards are good enough that a "lesser" star who can shoot more consistently and bring that defensive power he lacks could maybe make us a better overall team. If Harden can accept his strengths and weaknesses annd not try to do it all, then he can be great for our team in these types of challenges, and I certainly wouldn't even mention a trade.

cheke64 likes this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I didn't read the entire thread because the OP's first salvo was eye-numbing, and I can see where all this is going.

But I do wonder why D'Antoni only played, what?, seven guys? If he values shooting so much, he could have put some faith in a couple dudes who are nailed to the bench. D'Antoni talks about "we'll have more energy in Houston," but if you play your guys so much, especially one guy, then you need to quit reading hagiographic "ESPN the Magazine" articles about your genius and use some common sense in your coaching.

deb4rockets and deb4rockets5 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Sorry, but no, there are only 3-4 players out there that could make this team better, and I already named them. Replacing Harden with Jimmy Butler does not make us better, he can barely drag the Bulls to an 8th seed in the East. Replacing Harden with PG does not make us better. Replacing Harden with AD does not make us better. Replacing Harden with Giannis does not make us better. Replacing Harden with anyone not named Lebron, KD, Curry, or Leonard does not make us better. Thinking that replacing him with a lesser star and giving a bigger role to freaking Bev and Eric Gordon could make us better is ridiculous.

If u want to trade Harden, then u can go and hope that some lottery picks one day become 75% as good as he is right now or go complain about some lesser star who does an even worse job than Harden in carrying this team.

RiceRockets and jordnnnn like this.
  7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I wouldn't mind trading Harden for a star whose game complements other stars. That'd make it easier to attract more talent.

As it currently stands, I don't think other stars view Houston as an attractive destination. They'd have to defer to Harden offensively and cover for him defensively. Who would want to do that?

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

LOL! it isn't about Dwight... it's about personnel dynamics... Coach and players... player to player... guys having the freedom to push one another and knowing the coach or gm is going to have control of the situation...
    Not only regarding the guys on the roster now but how future dynamics work as we try to get over the Golden State hump.... Do we try to get the most talented guy available or do we need to mindful that we can only get someone who's willing to be subservient to James?
    Idk... but there's obviously been dysfunction on this team... sometimes they all seem on the same page... other times - not so much...

9. kjayp

Additionally... what's up with this whole James giving up the ball beyond the top of the key and the other guy tossing it back to him?
    I understand that if you've got pressure or lose your dribble scenario to get it right back...

but there have been quite a few instances where the defense is playing in front of the players, not pressing, James dribbles a few times... tosses it to Anderson who dribbles once or twice and tosses it back to James, who then tosses it back to Anderson who then heaves up a shot from 3-4 feet behind the 3 point line... Or James to Gordon, back to James, James takes a couple steps and takes the long shot...
    It's looks like "you take it." "I dont want it, you take it.." kinda thing...
    are they just trying to burn clock? get a breather? Is this James trying to do the right thing and giving it up and guys are wussing out?

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mchale is the same idiot that passed on Kawhi, Jimmy Butler and Isaiah Thomas in the same draft. Mchale sucks, period.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Who are you going to get in trade? You mentioned trade , then you must have a list.

List the targets.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

Except McHale and JBB didn't want to run those iso plays either. McHale always preached ball movement. He just couldn't get James to stop the iso plays. Just like MDA can't get Harden to stop the iso plays. Harden does what he wants. Harden has the power.

#32 Newlin, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    deb4rockets and LAYGO like this.
  13. Rocketeer4Life

Blame Dantonio for the iso poor offense of the Rockets and just playing 7 players the entire game.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. kjayp

Do you think the coach makes the selection... or the GM and owner?
    We took Marcus Morris, Mirotic for DMo and Parsons that draft... are you thinking that was McHale?

Dont get me wrong... McHale was an idiot... but I dont put the draft on him...

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Check out the "Mchale Rule" in this video.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Dude didn't you know?

Harden makes all decisions. Concession prices, ticket prices, ALL hiring and firing, who to draft, who to play, how we play.

It is ALL Harden.

I heard it on clutchfans. Has to be true.

RiceRockets likes this.
  17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

kjayp likes this.
  18. kjayp

So you're saying when morey gets credit for mining gold in the 2nd rd (parsons) the credit really goes to McHale?

I'm not saying that Mchale didnt have input... but i dont see DM hiring Mchale and immediently giving him control of the draft... i heard a lot of 'we - were happy..." "we - really liked this pick..." not any "I knew this was the guy I wanted..."

I dont think Mchale was ever anything but a figurehead and a mouthpiece for Morey (which then transferred to JBB)...

The first words after "The Mchale rule" were "good joke..."

If you view it otherwise, no disrespect man, agree to disagree...

#38 kjayp, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Newlin and deb4rockets like this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree!!!! This is where the coach needs to coach better. Our guys aren't passing the ball around like they did during the regular season. It's James to Anderson, back to James, etc... I will admit that some of those shots he takes are because of that, but not when he stands there dribbling for 20 seconds before he passes. Our other guys need to grab a pair, and take some of those shots themselves, or do something other than throwing it right back to James so much.

kjayp likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yes, I am! The coach needs to rotate more and coach better. That means coaching everyone who can improve. There was no reason for 7 players the entire game, period. That's just ridiculous. Look how many times our bench has come in with fresh energy in the past, and done well for a few minutes. If he doesn't do that next game we are doomed. Our starters need some time to refresh, go over what isn't working, etc...then come back in and kick some butt.

kjayp likes this.