1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blake Bortles

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by newAge_Rockets, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Member

Assuming, of course, any of those franchise QB's are available whereever the Texans draft. And that this draft defies most previous drafts and the class is considered just as good after a year of scrutiny as its looked at today. Teddy Bridgewater was a clearcut top-3 pick at this time last year.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yep, Winston may rape a lobster by then.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

And yet...

"With the #1 pick of 2014 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans select...Jadeveon Clowney, DE South Carolina..."

Funny how that works...

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps "I've seen all I need to see" meant something other than "I like what I saw"

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The Texans will have a top 5 pick. You're right though. Who knows how the season will unfold and what QBs emerge.

6. Major

Major Member

Could very well be - but it would mean that the Texans likely won 4 or fewer games, meaning that the new coach and the #1 pick and getting Cushing back had basically no impact on the team given that they were a slightly flukey 2-14 last year (lots of close losses).

7. Brando2101

There are a lot of drawbacks that come with an entirely new coaching staff so I don't know if that ends up being a plus for the first year. We lost Tate and Foster is still a big question mark when it comes to his health. Lost Owen Daniels who was a big part of the offense when we were winning. He was worthless last year so we might not have lost much from last year but that means we went from Bad to Bad. Both QBs are bad IMO (not just based on the pre-season game) and who knows about Savage. We got worse at DE with losing Smith and we have two guys playing new positions (Clowney from DE to OLB and Reed from OLB to ILB). Secondary is still going to be awful and JoJo is another year old. I don't know. I look at this team on paper and I can't see a good team. I hope I'm wrong.

Hmm. I keep swinging this to "The Texans are Awful" in the Bortles thread. My bad.

8. Major

Major Member

I don't necessarily disagree with you - I think the Texans got worse at the most important position on the field that they already sucked at last year, so their ceiling is fairly low. My best guess would be something like 5-6 wins, but I agree that I don't see a good team. But I think most people on here arguing for "we can just get a franchise QB next year!" don't necessarily share our view of how the Texans are going to do. In the poll from the other thread, less than 15% of people have them at 4-12 or worse.

9. Brando2101

I guess I look back at all the optimism between around 06-12 and consider that most of those teams are better than the one we have this year. I think 5 wins is best case scenario. There are people on this board that think we are definitely beating Washington which is really crazy considering they have 3 QBs that are better than all of ours. RG3 coming back is going to help them way more than Cush will help us. Again, hope I'm wrong.

10. what

what Member

I wonder how many clowney apologists would their be if next year the texans wait till the fourth round again to get a qb because the qbs available aren't better than the offense line stud available.

I'm actually not sure why this WOULDN'T be a possiblity since the texans have made it clear that they don't plan to REACH for a qb.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Or you take a QB next year because they actually are worth a first round pick

12. what

what Member

Or you draft an O'Lineman because he's a better player than the 3rd best qb in the first round. And then somebody(the patriots reach on a second round pick in the early first round) and all that is left is 4th round talent.

Again, if this is the texans strategy, they need to stick with it. If they reach on a first round qb next year than it proves that they had no vision for the future (or they don't believe in it anymore), either way they'll still look pretty clueless.

13. Mr. Clutch

What if they take a QB without reaching...

14. what

what Member

not sure that's possible with their HIGH standards.

15. Major

Major Member

Assuming there are some available where they draft.

16. Mr. Clutch

I think the idea that the only way the Texans can get a QB is by reaching is a little silly.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

he went 11-17 against the bears' second team and forced some pretty terrible throws that he only got away with because he was playing the back ups... He looked okay but nothing to write home about imo.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I actually think it's funny how things work out...

Blake was ballin in college like Brady... Come back wins with the game on the line ---> 6 of em (Brady 6 :eek:)... Showing he had a heart that pumps ice water threw his veins... Going up against more talented teams in hostile environments (Louisville had 2 defensive players drafted in the 1st round before Teddy)... Luck wasn't even doing it like that...
    And John Gruden said the other night he's never really had a quarterback coach in college.

But maybe Blake was a reach and Jacksonville should have did like we did and drafted Mack.

Well that definitely takes Winston off the board with his background.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed...

And he almost beat Clowney as well... And Clowney couldn't catch him.

20. what

what Member

The actual idea is that the texans, in order to avoid reaching on a qb, were willing to wait till the fourth round to draft (at best a project), decline a trade that might have gotten them a serviceable qb, and they were willing to punt the season by signing Ryan Fitzpatrick who has been washed up for years.

Let that sink in.

You are trying to convince me that the texans resolve about not "reaching" on a qb is SO STRONG that they are willing to punt the season with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

With so much resolve, drafting a qb next year is FAR from a given, wouldn't you say so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.