1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Blackbox Thread] What We Can Learn From Disasters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Landlord Landry

don't worry, nobody takes him seriously.

2. Landlord Landry

did you happen to watch any of the games when Mac was out? the defense has been an issue for awhile, w or w/o Mac.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Bigthree,

Make him earn his time, right now Wafer is better, if TMac wants to play, he has to go hard, on both ends.....when he does that, he gets his job back, but right now, the Rockets are better with Von Wafer starting at SG over Tmac.

DD

4. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Yep ... watched every minute. The defense was horrible in most, I agree. But having a player who doesn't hustle at all on D kills you night in and night out. That's the biggest problem with McGrady right now (although many of you may point out the offensive stagnation that occurs when he's in the game).

5. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

TMac has shown that he doesn't deserve to start. Period. He doesn't play both ways and he doesn't pressure the defense like Wafer does.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Of course, but I doubt many people would go the "T-Slack/Rat/Lady" route to his face. It's one thing to voice criticism and another to be a jerk to people. I am really over that crap around here and not just with McGrady.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I hear ya, and can appreciate that sentiment. It is like raging against a torrent though, just mute the multiple offenders.

DD

8. Landlord Landry

Von Wafer is just as bad on defense as McGrady, even when he's trying his ass off.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No doubt but Wafer is so much better on offense, that the team is better, and the ball moves with him on the floor......

Wafer is better right now......and it is not really that close.

DD

10. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Wafer at least tries. And not only can he shoot but he can also slash to the basket if his jumper is contested.

11. BMoney

I didn't see a lack of effort from McGrady tonight. He is just slow.

12. ibm

ibm Member

i will go that route with you for a moment. so do you think he can ever recover physically while he's a rocket?

13. BMoney

I don't know how you can predict something like that, really. He's still only 29, though he has a lot of tread off the tire and has a brittle constitution. He has never really played with a lot of fire in the belly because he's always been the guy with the most talent and physical gifts. He can't say that anymore. It will be interesting to see if he can recapture his explosiveness. The Rockets need him to.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think he gave good effort tonight, he was just slow.I also stated what the rox should do when ron and tracy comes back. I think they should play Tracy, and Ron should play 25 mins and Wafer and Shane should play 23. That keeps everyone fresh and into it until shane,tracy, and ron get healthy. Wafer should play more, but also deke should play.

15. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

The Rockets have been playing crappy defense for several games now, eventually it was gonna bite them in the ass and it finally did. That's the crux of the problem.

There will be nights that shots just don't go in, but they were still up 8 with 5:30 left in the 4th.

DEFENSE is the key. TMac is too slow, and Von Wafer gives up as many points as he scores.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

You attack, you get to the FT line.......you settle for jumpers, sometimes they are not going to go in...

Which does Tmac and Ron do?

DD

17. MayoRocket

Ok, no argument about that, they should've attacked more. TMac and Artest were godawful last night. Still, no matter how much they attack, if they don't play defense, they ain't gonna win. They've managed to win most of their recent games because of good shooting, and have gotten away with subpar defense.

And it's not all Mac and Artest. Against Detroit the exact opposite happened. The starters gave the bench a big lead, and they blew it--twice.

18. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

They even do worse ... they take long jumpers (the WORST SHOTS in basketball). It wouldn't be so bad to pull up for 12 feet but because of pure stupidity, they like to take 18 to 20 foot jumpers.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

So you are saying that the Tmac and Ron team didn't play offense or defense well.

I agree with that...

:D

How many losses to CRAPPY teams is it going to take before Adelman wakes up and realizes that you can NEVER have Ron and TMac on the floor at the same time....they don't fit.

DD

20. MayoRocket

It's easy to say pieces don't fit when shots aren't falling. But I think everyone, including Adelman, knows that Artest is best suited coming off the bench. Let's see how things look vs. Philly with Yao back. This team needs time to gel as one healthy (relatively) unit with a set rotation before we can really pass judgement IMO.