1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Saturday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Grizzled, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Only a half day after the shuttle disaster, at about noon Mountain Time today, 7 grade 10 students from a school just south of Calgary were killed in an avalanche near Revelstoke BC. This happened about 30 km away from the spot where two weeks ago 7 other people including a recent engineering grad from the UofC and snowboarding pioneer Craig Kelly were killed. It seems that every year a few people are killed somewhere in the Canadian Mountains in avalanches, but 14 people in two weeks in the same general area is just numbing.

I didn’t know the engineering student or Kelly, but I know people who knew each of them well. I know a number of people from Okotoks so I’ll probably find out tomorrow at church if I knew of anybody, or anybody’s children, who were killed today.

I know from my faith that some way, some how, everything happens for a reason. Unfortunately knowing this doesn’t mean that we’re spared the feelings of loss. And it just seems to me that there has been an awful lot of loss recently. :(

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have suffered the loss of friends and family in the last few weeks. They also go out to the administrators at the school who made the decision to go skiing in the same area the previous accident had occurred in, inspite of the dangerous snow pack conditions. May God bring them all peace.

+

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

May those students rest in peace as well. :(

I cant see how this happens for a reason. It just looks tragically random and unexplainable to me.

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

today is such a day filled with reasons that make question what we believe, at the same time embrace what is important.

thank God it's Sunday...