1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Man shot after calling cops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Aug 30, 2016.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If only everyone had guns we would be more safe!

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

More white people get killed by cops because there are more white people. The data does not support your assertions.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/07/data-police-racial-bias

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the pool of all white people sure, but in the pool of violent criminals, the numbers are similar. Point is, you are doing your best to push a false narrative when the facts don't support the BS you wish was true.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This guy was armed. Why are you quoting unarmed statistics? Why does your thread title not stipulated he was armed?

You are so biased its pathetic.

1 person likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The stats show more whites get killed by police, but when normalized by population blacks are killed by police 2.5 times more frequently than whites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.628bdc1721eb

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

police buffoonery. The armed homeowner was protecting his domicile.

Also, lol at the angry responses here.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

8. NewRoxFan

Same article:

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then your article was BS. Not really a shocker that you'd seek out a propaganda piece to justify a ridiculous narrative. Anyway, I know there's no point in talking to someone like you, so it's gonna seem like I'm ignoring you.....

10. NewRoxFan

'Course, you could have done your own research, and pulled an article supporting the "facts" you tend to bloviate about. But that's not what you do... you spin out the latest right-wing talking points and then lather, rinse, and repeat.

But please go ahead and put me on ignore, it will be much appreciated.

11. NewRoxFan

It will be interesting to see how the final police report comes out. Already a bit suspicious... no official statement yet as to whether the police called out to the victim. He says he didn't hear them shout anything. There is a 911 call but no voices are heard. The victim's gun was recovered from his home, but there was no indication the victim brandished a weapon, fired a weapon, or held it threateningly. And there were conflicting reports about the 911 call mentioning a long rifle.

It isn't clear what the officer said in the investigation. The other officer apparently did not shoot his weapon.

Certainly the police should investigate the event. So allowing the investigation to proceed to a final report is justified.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2016/08/26/homeowner-shot-impd-out-hospital/89402030/
    http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2016/08/23/impd-officers-shoot-robbery-suspect/89193724/

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll pull a "wait for all the facts" on this one. If the guy thought a cop was the carjacker and brandished his gun, it's probably defensible he was shot. There needs to be an investigation of what happened before people take a meta-meaning from the incident.

If I'm jumping to conclusions, I would go to this one, not race. We have this great gun paradox in our country. We have this right to carry and we tell ourselves it makes us safer when really it makes us less safe. But, we idolize the second amendment like it was the bible in general -- until someone carrying a gun interacts with a police officer and we throw his right to carry in the toilet and say 'no wonder he got shot, he had a gun; how was the cop supposed to know in the circumstances whether he was licensed or not?' We have a right to carry; we have a right to the presumption of innocence. Shouldn't that mean that cops disregard the fact you have a gun unless and until they have reasonable cause to think your gun is illegal? Shouldn't it mean that when a citizen is killed by a cop, it'd be wholly insufficient to say the citizen was armed, since that's his right anyway? Well, no we can't actually operate like that. We couldn't enforce the law. So maybe our right to carry a firearm isn't really so inalienable as all that. Maybe it's more a right in theory than in fact, given how easy it is to oppress you when you actually exercise your right (especially if you're black, btw). So, why is it again we want to support this right to have a firearm that (1) makes us less safe, and (2) makes it easier for the government to oppress us?

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

I would agree with this. It was a chaotic scene. We had a lot of people with guns making split second decisions. I'm sure the police feel terrible. They rushed to the scene trying to help the home owner and it ended in disaster. Police work is really hard, it's not something that I would want to do.

14. Dei

Dei Member

Good guy. Funny how having a home makes you a more rational individual. I feel bad that he's still in considerable pain.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

I give you credit when it's deserved (again), you did not say this time :it's a scam made by this guy and his friend .you actually tried to interrupt data and stuff, it did't not work but still ...a...good effort

16. Dei

Dei Member

Disconcerting if true but your article is quoting the conclusions of another study. Obv. we have to scrutinize the methodology of that study too and, either way, it's premature to take the conclusions of just one study, we normally need several independent studies to show strong evidence that there really is something happening.

It's an objective fact that blacks commit more crime though.

17. NewRoxFan

Not to be lost in all this... the victim hadn't committed any crime. That said, whatever the stats show, there is a growing need for dialog within the black community and within the law enforcement (including out justice system).

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You obviously did not read the story you posted. Why?

19. Dei

Dei Member

I agree.

20. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Interesting comment given the fact that unarmed white people are more likely to be shot by police than unarmed black people. On what basis then would you make this comment (other than being unaware of the above fact)?