1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Black Cop Kills Unarmed White Youth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anas acuta, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's important to note the victim complex that some groups have and how they hold on to perceived slights that may or may not have actually happened to their ancestors and more importantly how they look to hold accountable those who may or may not be related to those who potentially committed those offenses, based solely on the color of their skin.

I do agree that context is important.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is laughable. It's not paranoia that minorities get different treatment. It's evident in all the data. Willful ignorance of reality is no excuse.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Your assuming it lumped Hispanics with whites - nowhere is that ever implied or stated. Another poster assumed that. Maybe hispanics aren't killed by the police nearly as often - It's very likely that hispanics are listed under the "other races" part of the graph.

4. CometsWin

There are six times as many white people Einstein. They should be getting shot, arrested, and pulled over more. It's math.

5. CometsWin

Next Anas Acuta thread...

Why is there a BET and no white entertainment television? Derp.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I think saying people get shot by the police for the sole reason that their skin is darker is willfully ignorant of reality and laughable.

yeah, beating and assaulting an officer or charging at him with a knife isn't what got these people shot. :rolleyes:

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Duh, because that would be racist.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think paranoia is a good way to describe it. If you are looking for a reason to feel mistreated, you'll find one a lot more often than those not looking for reasons to feel mistreated. Also, it goes both ways, people expecting to be mistreated by cops probably treat cops differently than those not expecting to be mistreated wouldn't you agree?

9. CometsWin

It's a strong reason why there is disparate treatment of minorities over whites. If you took any time whatsoever to educate yourself you wouldn't post such ignorant things. It's the difference between a white kid being asked to get out of the street and a black kid being told to get the **** out of the street and everything that ensues as a result.

I don't even know why I bother. It's like some of you live on a different freaking planet. Read the data, educate yourself.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

You totally missed the point of my response to RR. Of course there should be more white people getting shot - I NEVER disputed that...and guess what.. there are! which destroys the argument that this only happens when, as RR put it, "Skin tones is a consideration . . and when it is darker
    They draw the weapon faster"

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

I'm not denying there may be societal problems.

But to simply cling to the "white cops are racist" does not solve anything.

The high black on black homicide rate is alarming and the tendency by some to blame it on white cops does not seem to help anyone.

12. langal

langal Contributing Member

Black homicide offenders account for more than 40 percent of the US total. And the vast majority of the is black on black crime. I htink that sheds the previous stats in a new light.

If we continue to hold on to "white cops are racist" - then we don't solve anything.

I would hazard a guess and say the high black homicide rate probably correlates with income/poverty level, etc. and they largely occur in inner city black communities.

I think we should be looking at economic, investment proposals to enrich and empower those communities rather than cling to "cops are racist".

13. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I've often wondered that.

Would that be racist to have WET?

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I understand that there is differential treatment based skin color sometimes. I don't dispute that. There is also differential treatment based on Class. HOWEVER to say that skin color is the SOLE REASON people get shot is just downright "ignorant" as you say.

so your saying that when the cop using the "f-bomb" then the kid in the street should have the right to beat a cop to near unconsciousness and the cop has no right to defend himself. Okay. It may be a jerk-move by the cop, but still shouldn't result in the officer being attacked. Heck no matter how much of a jerk a cop is to me, I don't think I'd ever assault him. That would be asking to get killed.

cool...personal insults.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much 90% of television is WET. There is no need for a specific channel when it's almost every single channel.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

This is so overly simplified it's laughable.

By the same logic, black people are only 13% of the population. They should not be committing 50% of murders.

17. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I like to blow people's minds; some times I walk up to their window (for a minor traffic offense) and they're rude as hell before I even get a word out. I only assume that they see a short haired white cop and think "great here we go again." I get it. HPD treats them like **** and they expect it from us too. When I treat them pleasant and with respect it throws them off.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd say its more an educated guess than an assumption.
    Anas acuta is right that Hispanic is treated as a different dimension in data than race. They likely put black Hispanics with blacks and white Hispanics with whites. But black Hispanics are only 2.5% of the population, so they don't skew my math much.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

some posters here have some serious issues and opinions on race

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I take it you believe that institutional racism is a myth right?