1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bitdefender sucks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Mar 18, 2016.

1. what

what Member

Nothing more that I can say about this software, but it absolutely takes over your compete once it is installed, causes multiple problems with windows including Windows Defender (if you are able to uninstall bitdefender without actually reinstalling your operating system) which is unlikely. Secondly, it takes over windows 10 notifications.

And probably a lot more. The junkiest piece of crap software since Norton. Are there any antivirus programs that doesn't cause more harm than good?

I tried kaspersky which is a resource hog. Man, freakin another reinstall.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It only defends you a little bit?

1 person likes this.
  3. what

what Member

I am through with all antivirus programs. I have Macrium Reflect but of course my first backup was when Bitdefender was installed.

While I haven't tried all of these problems, I just think the less you put on windows the better, and I already use a high number of 3rd party programs.

Nuance Power PDF Pro
    Macrium Reflect
    Quicken Home and Business

In addition to bitdefender, Office 365 and Syncbackfree, Spotify. Just too many conflicts.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:grin:

5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

My last laptop was breaking down and barely worked. I let Norton Antivirus trial expire many months before. I booted into safe mode and I uninstalled everything Norton related and the computer worked fine. I had a similar situation with Kaspersky which made me think to do it. My newer laptop, I chose to not use any of the antivirus programs since they seemed to make things worse and it has lasted longer and works better than any before and it is only a $400 laptop.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . I run Malwarebytes once a week
    CCLeaner once a month

and don't go to sketchy websites

Rocket River

7. what

what Member

Yeah, I was anti-antivirus for many years, but I decided to get "protected" from the off-chance that I got infected with ransomware.

But, in trying to totally protect myself, it just causes more problems. The big draw with bitdefender is that it is light on the system, but after it screwed up my outlook notifications, and the entire apps that I have running notifications, I am done with it.

Bitdefender is totally incapable of working properly with windows 10. If you install YOU will have to reinstall your system, it is a fact.

Though I am not sure, I would say norton probably would be the most compatible with windows 10 but it is a terrible program.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

There's ways to remove bitdefender and other av... But you'd need to get a few Microsoft tools (can't recall names atm) and if unfamiliar or new to using... It's probably easier to just go reinstall. But I've personally done it, and I agree that they can be a pita to remove if just trying normal route, in some cases it's like having a virus. It was on a friend's machine I was fixing but man did that av **** the system up, it almost seemed like having a virus would have been better, haha.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My only antivirus is Windows Defender and I haven't gotten a virus, malware, adware, etc. in years.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Window defender is all you need bro.

12. what

what Member

I think maybe what I am going to try to do is to encrypt my external drive with bitlocker and a usb key, and when I am not using the file, remove the usb (but then, what happens if the usb gets damaged!) I don't know.

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

[​IMG]

I'm not serious, but... we all get it, get a mac, If you only browse sites and want limited software, because as soon as you install Windows for software not on a Mac you're in the same boat (when running Windows on the Mac). Obviously if you have a use for some of Apple's software and that's it... then it's a great product :) but when getting more use out of your Mac you can't rely on Tim Cook to help you with the non-fisher price OS.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Also not serious on Linux, it's a lot easier for even avg users now (depending on flavor).

15. what

what Member

On the upside, with windows media creation tool, if you do a fresh install, which I did, it only takes about 30 minutes to get a fresh new windows up and running, and as long as you have everything backed up, which I do, the process doesn't really take all that long to get back up and running.

I also like the fact that windows has inclusive updates which cuts down on a lot of time. If you do the fresh install, which most people wont because they don't know how, getting windows back up is a stone breeze.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm, I think on bitlocker you should still have the option of using usb along with a backup pin (like printed key from usb). I'd be worried as well if I lost/broke usb key. I haven't used bitlocker on win10 etc (so that might have changed), but I want to say you could still manually enter it (so ideally you'd want to store paper in safe spot and usb key with you etc), I mean if super secure data etc.

17. what

what Member

I'm going to try it, because it seems like a great solution.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True, the new windows installs are sooooo much easier/faster. And I agree going reinstall is typically best, I only removed on friend's because she really didn't listen to me on backups... It was a mess, on my personal systems always prefer clean install if something really is ****ed up.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Most browsers catch a lot of vulnerabilities. The system resource required for more intuitive protection is often not worth the sacrifice. Generally staying away from shady sites and not clicking on every thing that comes your way is plenty enough.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I use adblock plus, malwarebytes, and free edition of Avast. No issues in years.