1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biotech/Pharmaceutical jobs in Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Q, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Q

Q Contributing Member

My wife and I are re-locating from Indianapolis and one of the cities
    we are seriously considering is Austin.

I have a PhD in biochemistry and also 3 years of post-doc experience in immunology, so if any of you know some good biotech or pharmaceutical companies in Austin would you please help me out and tell me about them.

It's the only city my wife agreed on living in as far as Texas, otherwise we are heading to California.

I am really hoping to end up close to the Rockets and I know nothing about Austin, except reading occasionally people's comments on this site that it's a cool, fast-expanding, non-typical Texas city.

Thanks for helping guys.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Good luck, but I think it will be tough finding a biotech/pharmaceutical job in Austin. There's just not a lot of jobs there in that industry. Houston would be a better bet

California would definitely have a lot of those types of jobs

3. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I have a PhD in Biochemistry as well and work for one of the companies in Austin. The ones that I know of are Applied Biosystems, Asuragen, and Stratagene (nearby in Bastrop). Applied Biosystems recently was acquired by Invitrogen, so it might be more difficult to get a job there right now.

Of course there is always UT-Austin, but I imagine you don't want to do another postdoc.