1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bin Laden ‘Shooter’ Story Is FUBAR, Special Ops Sources Say

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Nov 9, 2014.

?

Should the guy be able to profit off his story?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. TheresTheDagger

This is what I mean by making snap judgements without knowing all the facts.

What we DO know is he is a decorated SEAL who has been on countless dangerous missions and served with Honor.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He served with honor and then instantly dishonored himself as soon as he got out of the military by advertising the nature of his work, and seeking recognition for his actions.

I don't care if he was the guy who killed OBL or not, it's really irrelevant because he was just one small part of one cog in a much larger machine and he's easily replaceable. If it wasn't him, it would have just been someone else in his spot, perhaps someone that would honor the tradition of the SEALs by not completely abandoning their ethos upon leaving the service.

3. TheresTheDagger

You must be really angry with Chris Kyle then too. I mean he wrote a book AND has an upcoming movie.

Completely abandoned their ethos. LOL. The outrage is REAL. :rolleyes:

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

First, it isn't internet warriors that are angry, it is former operators.

Second, comparing Marcus Luttrell and Chris Kyle with operators from 1st SFOD-D and DEVGRU is foolish. It is an entirely different league of skills, experience and secrecy.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

yea, i thought this was America.

all of a sudden it's wrong to make some money?

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'd like to know the real truth, at least a little bit. I don't like the idea of someone lying.

That being said we don't know what happened, and I don't see how it's really possible for us to know the truth. So I guess, I'll just take everything I hear about it with a grain of salt.

Either way it isn't really that big of a deal to me. It might be if I was a SEAL.

7. Buck Turgidson

Glad you weren't around in WWII. 30 or whatever years from now we will know the truth, but there are things that we do not need to know at this point. Same thing during the Cold War, same same now.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Exactly. That's my point. We don't really know the truth right now. It doesn't stop me from being a bit curious about the details though. I'm not demanding that I have a right to know. If it's classified for the genuine security reasons, then it's fine if I don't have my curiosity satisfied.

It doesn't stop me from being curious, but I understand I may not be entitled to all of the answers. I'm not really complaining about it, either

9. Buck Turgidson

Ah, I gotcha, I'm pretty much the same.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I pretty much agree with this. While he's gone against the honor code of the SEALs as I said in the other recent Bin Laden thread I think we have right to know what happened. If this guy isn't telling the truth then I think others should step forward to tell a more complete story.

11. Buck Turgidson

What story? We pretty much know exactly how the raid went down. There was a whole team (2 teams actually) of guys inside the compound. What does it matter who fired what shot? Any one of them could have, it was a team effort all around. What more do you want to know?

12. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

This whole story is lame and that particular SEAL is selfish and should have kept his mouth shut. The Bin Laden operation was a team effort.

I thought the Navy SEALs were above this petty crap.

13. val_modus

val_modus Member

My question is... Why would the guy come out and publicize this? Does he not fear for his life? Take Salman Rushdie for example, I know it's not the exact sake thing, but this guy killed the center symbol of an entire generations radical movement

14. magnetik

magnetik Member

Bin Laden was already dead is why the story is fubar. Gotta be pretty naive to believe the official narrative. (which changed multiple times) The reason Zero Dark Thirty was released so soon after his "death" was to nail the narrative down. What better way to spread the "truth" than a movie. Then kill off the others on the team by sending 22 of them on a suicide mission in a chinook. Revisionist history is what it is.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I don't think Navy SEALs worry too much about their personal safety. If they did, they probably wouldn't be raiding compounds of Islamic terrorist leaders.

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

Not the same thing at all, he has a target on him now that he did not have before. The world knows him as the man who killed the head of the greatest radical Islam movement of the 21st century... Big difference my friend.

17. Buck Turgidson

I'd worry about my family more than myself, softer targets.

18. TheresTheDagger

Maybe its his way of saying to them "I don't fear you."

Something tells me he had conversations with them before going public. In any case, its his (their) decision and I won't second guess them. From watching the interview on Fox last night, he doesn't seem like someone who makes decisions like this without careful deliberation.

19. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Some interesting points being made.

I'm not an American but seems to me it's just a result of our society today. Countless exposure through media and movies like Act of Valor (which I loved), dudes like Andy McNab and Bear Grylls have glorified elite special forces to new levels. Can't blame them really for buying into it and trting to get famous/rich etc.

Sad to see, but inevitable.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

It seems to me like the Military should strike deals with the participants on publication upon declassification of the mission. So that it's a win win. We live in a new era where the military are having a difficult time making the transition to ordinary life, as noted by the concert for valor, and one way for a vet to make it is to get there cut by revelation of the operation, code or not.

Everyone has their stake in the post operaton media blitz. Obama took credit the minute it happened. So he's the face of the operation, and rightly so, but everyone recalls the images of the obama team all looking at the tv monitors, but nothing of what the teams members actually did. That's publicity. But the operation itself and team members involved, just a blur. Are they paid to keep in a blur. Absolutely. But once you stop getting paid, everyone wants the same thing, recognition, severance, something to say hey, you owe me a little bit for what I did. Human nature. And of all the organizations to turn there backs on former employees, seems like the military is one of the biggest. So think somehow they need to assist in the compensation, transition, or declassification/publication in order to hold onto a period of secrecy. And I do think organizations are beginning to recognize that. The NFL is getting there. The military is feeling more public pressure to do that. It's coming around. But so easy for a company or organization to care little for it's pioneers and heroes by simply stating, hey we paid you, we don't owe you anything.

1 person likes this.