1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

A couple of questions that I hope you can help me understand HP:

Wouldn't the Rockets have Shumpert's full Bird right? a
    Why would the Rockets only have the mini-MLE? If the Rockets stay underneath the luxury tax line, shouldn't they have the full MLE instead?

cbs1507 and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No I'm understanding it. I think you're not understanding that Markieff Morris - a guy who at his peak is the epitome of a mediocre player - after months off the court signed just before the season ends is not a material addition. No one of real value is going to be available as the 10 Day or as the post-10 day guys.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly, we got rid of assets to get rid of anderson, then got rid of more assets to get rid of what we took to get rid of anderson.

That's a ****ing lot to save yourself 1-2 years of Ryan Anderson.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, we traded a $15 million dollar Trevor Ariza for

Kenneth Faried
    Austin Rivers
    Iman Shumpert
    Danuel House
    (Markief Morris?)

You people have the gall to say Morey did a bad job. Shame on you.

RUN IT BACK.

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Scary! Scary! Scary!
    Capela's FT is 63% at this moment. I will be "heart attack" to watch Capela's free throw attempts.
    Luxury tax income is to cover the GM and 4 assistant coaches payroll for a normal team, but not cover Capela's free throw bonus.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, we have Shumpert's full Bird Rights. I was talking about assets retained in the event we didn't go on a tax-saving spree -- that is, we'd have all the picks back, but not Shump.

As for mini vs full MLE, we can't use the Full MLE if it takes us over the Apron. With Harden's huge raise kicking in, and Paul's large 5%-ers, is that even possible? And even if it is, then we are Hard-Capped the rest of the year, preventing trades that increase salary above Hard Cap.

I'm just assuming we can't use the full MLE, next year...or Morey would choose not to use it all in the SUmmer, to prevent Hardcapping to maintain flexibility on trades during the year.

#166 heypartner, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    jchu14 and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What I understand is HEALTH. There ain't no bodies fitting rotationally comin' along the way; perhaps one in-House?

8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

lmao yea those guys couldnt be picked up if we had ariza. Right.

With our capspace a 15 mil ariza is the same as a 1 dollar ariza

9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

"Okay, so it looks like the following may be the blueprint for the #Rockets to remain below the tax this season (with some wiggle room, if Capela doesn't hit his incentives)..."

and this is from Albert Nahmad

"Rockets are $634K below the luxury tax. The minimum they must spend is $590K (using ROS + 10-days). They’ll surely spend at least $624K to get to 15 players for playoffs. And if they’re confident Clint Capela won’t get his bonus for 30% DREB%, they'd have another $500K of room."

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The safe option. I'm dreaming a better buyout candidate comes along, but House would at least take Green out of the rotation.

In all honesty, I'm extremely interested in a super energetic bench unit of:

Faried
    House
    Gordon
    Rivers
    Paul

That's 4 defensive pests, adequate firepower and energetic rebounding. I like it.

xiki likes this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

This is going to be trend.
    It will look bad at the starting of the season (first 20 games) because of luxury tax. It will look good after signing buyout players.
    The concern is that the championship chance will not exceed 10% next 3 years (Las Vegas).
    It's hard to believe that Paul and Gordon 3p field goal is declining 6% and is very slow on transition defense.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Literally we traded Trevor Ariza for all those players. Only difference between last year’s team and this year’s team.

And we ain’t done!

13. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

If Morey can shed Nene's salary and assume the apron is 6m over tax line, he will get about 20m to spend next year.
    That is a decent amount of money.

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Gotcha about Shump.

The Rockets currently has $121.7M (including Clark and Hartenstein's non-guaranteed $1.416M each) committed for next season season. Charania reported that the luxury tax line will be $132M. So the apron should be at $138M. Depending on how negotiation with House, Faried, and River goes. It may be worth it for the Rockets to use the full MLE and be hard capped under the apron.

heypartner likes this.
  15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

oh boy oh boy im excited

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

Its likely that Morey is going to use $14 million to reach luxury tax in July.
    1-year deal
    Roster charge $5 million (required)
    Gerald Green 3 million
    House 3 million
    Shumpert 3 million

Let Rivers and Faried walk for nothing. If Shumpert wants money, he can walk.
    Give Gordon extension
    Wait for buyout.

17. cdxiong

What is roster change? My take is:

Starting SF - 9m
    Green - 2m (minimum)
    River - 3m
    Faried - 3m
    backup 4 - 2m(minimum)

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

You have a good point: Shed Nene salary.
    There is an incomplete roster charge if the team is less than 14 players. Faried and Rivers are non-bird.
    Rivers and Faried are unlikely to accept less than 3 million 1-year deal. I am not sure you know about Doc Rivers.
    Maybe Tilman is willing to give Green a little more for the prior year adjustment.

#178 BigBum, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  19. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

IMO, one of Morey's competitive advantages is that he (i.e. his staff) is an expert capologist and able to navigate the complexities of the CBA.

topfive, ramotadab and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. cdxiong

Sure, they definitely need to avoid the roster charge. Also I think the top priority is to sign a starting caliber SF and then let the rest fall where it may be.
    I really like Faried though. Rivers to a lesser extent.