1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah it occurred to me that would be the case for people as I have that issue on one of my work devices.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Harden thrives in adversity. Just not too much adversity. I think this is just the right amount. I just think these guys all need the health for the opportunity to gel. Contracts will work out fine, we'll get or have who we need to win it all. The rest is performance.

3. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

If we somehow get over the tax this year we're shooting ourselves in the foot. It would mean we would have to get back under the tax either next year or the year after, which will hurt a lot more than the nonmoves we made this year. If we don't spend big next year I'm completely on board with boycotting Landry's though lol... Even though I already basically do. Not a fan of most of his places.

snowconeman22 and JVL713 like this.
  4. justtxyank

To illustrate my point..

This year if Knight was an expiring we could have easily gotten Mirotic, Green/Temple, aggregated together to get Otto Porter, Markieff Morris, etc. without giving up hardly anything in terms of draft assets. We could have used our picks to nab Tobias Harris.

Next year who knows who those players might be., but there are ALWAYS players that some team wants to dump for expirings at the deadline.

Deuce likes this.
  5. Newlin

Newlin Member

It would have really simplified things if we could have dumped Nene. Oh well.

6. Louka

That and restructuring his contactc at this point hardly moves the needle. Next year we're going over the LT and, as fans, we don't care how far over we have to go to win a second consecutive championship.

7. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Listened to Locked on Rockets podcast and I agree with Ben. This was about situational deals that were in place when they couldn't get a big name. Putting four first round picks for Butler does not seem like a cheap owner but when no one became available with our limited assets it makes sense to think bigger picture with keeping the Rockets window open for longer. The fact that we lost nobody important and seemed to get better in terms of bench depth is pretty great. We need to focus on defense but if we are healthy we are a really good team. Add either depth in the wing or extra big man and sign House at the end of the season for extra insurance and try for 3rd seed. Sounds good to me. Next year will be the telling year if Tilman is indeed cheap which by that time Harden might be looking at other options which I would not blame him. Have been the most angry this year at Morey since he was hired but him undoing his ****ery from this offseason has left me content. All the talk about the East. Who cares? We would only be playing one of them if we get there and you beat GS, then I don't care who comes out the East.

8. Louka

It really does set us up to retain our core for the next 3-4 years.

Glad to have your input!

IvanLCPM likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I can't believe we have to root against Capela making his free throws for luxury tax savings.

JVL713 and Slam Dunk like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's what I thought, heypartner, but wanted confirmation (and details). Thanks! It's a bummer, but not surprising. I'm thinking there's not a player or team option included at any point of the deal, so we just have to work with it. Daryl certainly has a difficult job and the team has its hands full improving if we have to deal with a somewhat similar situation every year. He'll work with it, wheeling and dealing, because he has to.

Who knows? We still have buyouts to look at for this season. Morey is dealing with the constraints placed on him by the owner and the CBA, and will do what they allow him to do to improve our chances. I don't doubt that. With Harden having the incredible season he has uncorked, you would think that we'd go "all in" this season. The league adjusted to our system (and some have copied it) from last season to this one better than we might have expected.

Who's to say that next season they won't find a chink in Harden's armor, or that the league won't conjure it's own reaction to it? That's what bugs me. This may be our best chance after last season. Who's to say our odds will improve for next season and beyond? All the league has to do is tinker with what has allowed Harden's step backs and we have another big wall placed in front of us and the Finals. Things like that concern me. Maybe I worry too much.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

My guess is we’re hoping Kieff takes time to heal his injury and sign with us.

And then also sign House? Though I don’t see us bringing House back on the last day of the season. That would just be weird and a distraction.

Vivi, JuNx and justtxyank like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Nobody has to root against Capela for anything.

I'm sure Morey will operate assuming he will make that incentive and plan accordingly. There's no realistic chance he makes the rebounding incentive.

YOLO likes this.
  13. justtxyank

MY guess:
    -They want to sign Ellington but will wait a few games if he says yes to buy a few dollars
    -Use a 10 day on someone
    -Sign Kieff when that expires

That would be my guess as to what they would try to pull off. I don't think it's likely though because I think Ellington will have better options.

chievous minniefield and topfive like this.
  14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Are you allowed to convert incentives into guaranteed salary? If so, we could technically coordinate with Capela:

Ensure Capela doesn’t hit his minutes target this year, but convert his $2 MM in incentives to guaranteed money in 2020

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

lol. And Clint's probably already got a Swiss bank account. Tilman can just dump the money in it.

cbs1507 and don grahamleone like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

The way to not hit the repeater tax is not get Lux tax 3 years straight, it's almost impossible to get out of lux tax next year and the year after with Harden and Cp3's increasing salary so the only way not to pay the repeater tax is not pay lux tax this year.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

I don't know about that. Shumpert is one of those defenders whose effort can rub off on the rest of the guys on the court with him. Nobody wants to look like a slacker out there. When Clint returns, our starting lineup will be:

CP3
    Harden
    Shumpert
    PJ
    Clint

That's not a horrible defensive starting five. The bench is where our defense will suffer: EG, Faried, Rivers, Gerald, NeNe, Hartenstein, Clark... ugh.

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Wait...this is probably a dumb question but isn't Clint's biggest incentive $1 million dollars if the Rockets make the Western Conference Finals?

So if we get to the WCF then we're over the tax this season????

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not enough time in the world for what I don't know! lol

xiki likes this.
  20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The Rockets' current cap calculation includes the $1M Capela incentive already. The way incentives are estimated for cap purpose during the season is by whether the incentive is 'likely'. 'Likely' is defined as whether the player had achieved the goal in the previous season. Since the Rockets made it to the WCF last season, the $1M incentive is considered to be 'likely' and already included in the calculations.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rahath...s-center-clint-capelas-contract/#783c12644534