1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[BimaThug] how the rockets can avoid the tax while signing buyout guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Feb 8, 2019.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

House will get like a 3 year 9-10m offer, and the Rox will match.

DD

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

In that scenario what are you think we could get in return for EGO. TPE to a team with cap space to absorb? Probably won’t get as high of a pick out of that scenario. Just Curious what you think he’d fetch. I’m actually okay trading EGO since he’s expiring and we probably can’t afford to keep him with what he might get in FA.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We won't have cap room even if sent away EGo for nothing, so trading him away does not allow us to spend more than the MLE and Vet Minimum to sign those players. I just don't see Faried taking the minimum next year unless he just LOVES playing here. He would be walking away from millions if he stays.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I think you get like a stashed foreign player and cap room, or maybe a future early 2nd....or late first.

It would be great to keep everyone, but with Ego getting older and House doing everything he does but better and is a taller, better athlete, I don't think you have room for both.

DD

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Wait, if we remove Shump and Ego's cap room and let all the other players go....Nene for instance, we still have ZERO cap room?

DD

6. basketballholic

Spurs were interested in EGo before. They've got two picks in upcoming draft...and they've got cap space to almost absorb EGo in 2019 and only send out small salary if they renounced Gay.

I think the more likely scenario is not cap space...but sending EGo out for Butler...or some other versatile wing that can move to the 4/5...like Winslow...

BigShasta likes this.
  7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To improve this team it would require resigning IS (1 year) @$10m and pkg him w/EGo for someone's reluctant 'superstar' (sic). Would Butler/Philly be interested if all 3 were interested. Would Wiz if Beal screamed out and to Rox? Just examples.

D-rock likes this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

We're on the same page but I believe Shump will need to be included to make $ work (a resigned, 1-yr $10mish IS).

D-rock likes this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

Thank you!

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A negligible amount.

Harden,CP3, Capela and Tucker will combine to make 102 million, cap is 109. When you add in minimum roster holds we would only have 4 or 5 million or so, which is less than the MLE which we would forfeit operating under the cap.

jchu14 and amaru like this.
  11. basketballholic

If we trade for Butler...it will be because he opted in to his $19.8 million salary for 2019-20. Gordon, picks, and a minimum salary gets that done. We won't want the hard cap limitations that come with a Sign-and-Trade. Butler would probably rather sign an extension or go through free agency in 2020 than to sign for 4 years this summer. Extension would get him to 10 years and then he'd get the higher max with at the higher salary cap and make up most of what he gave up to go to Minny.

Butler could be a decoy too. To get 3-way talks going again with Miami and get Winslow here.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Signing Llull for playoffs would be one helluva of a curveball.

13. basketballholic

Seriously doubt that happens. He's in the Final Four in Euroleague. But I can see it possibly happening after he's done with their season. And the sooner the better because the MLE will continue to waste away after today.

D-rock likes this.
  14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is Winslow an 'identified' DM the GM target? I don't ever recall a linkage there???

D-rock likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Harden, CP3, Capela, and Tucker make over 100 million next year by themselves, and the salary cap is 109 million. Now add all the minimum cap holds, and you will be right at the cap. If you dump everyone but those four, you wouldn't even have enough space for an MLE contract.

amaru, D-rock and YOLO like this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Just my supposition - - I believe SL is a trade piece for him to go to a team of his choice (which would present lotsa court time for him).

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you have people wondering why the repeater is a topic for years to come, when its quite obvious

amaru likes this.
  18. basketballholic

Nobody wants to admit it. He's my avatar.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets will be over LT next season that is why it was so important to be under this season to avoid consecutive year penalty.

And that is why Shump will be re-signed because he will be another salary for Rockets to acquire their true targets. EGo will be another important trade asset. Would love to keep House, Faried and Rivers but it will take some fancy negotiations and cap wizardry by Morey to even get 2 of 3, and most likely scenario is just keeping one of the 3.

But in Morey I trust.

joshuaao, amaru and xaos like this.
  20. basketballholic

Don't agree on Shump. Only way we sign Shump is if he's super cheap. He's shown NOTHING here. Doesn't fit. He's being forced to shoot more 3's than those step-in two's he has gone to throughout his career when he isn't comfortable with the 3-ball presented to him. And his 3-point percentage is reflecting it. And he's still letting off those long-2's to boot anyways. And we really don't need his salary for salary-matching purposes. Sign-and-trades are getting more and more rare. And besides if we sign him to trade later......it's too much risk. Somebody else will give him a 3-year deal. And we cannot afford to be stuck on that type of deal....until we move on from Capela (or Paul).

It's more important now than ever that our role players are on value contracts.

(I actually think Shump could be released in the next day or two for a better fitting piece. We'll know soon enough.)