1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billy Wagner leaves game with apparent elbow injury!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Jun 3, 2001.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Did anyone watch the Redsox-Yankee game tonight? Pedro pitched 7 good innings, left with a 4-3 lead only to see the bullpen blow the game.

You can have the best starters in the game, but very few pitchers throw complete games anymore. If you don't have a good bullpen you are a mediocre to bad baseball team.

DREAMer-The only closer Lima is getting is closer to leaving H-Town [​IMG]

------------------
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited June 04, 2001).]

2. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I agree with bobrek (he's always right on [​IMG])

Mike Jackson should step in as the closer because of experience if wagner goes down...Oswalt is way too unproven to close out games, even though he has great stuff...

[This message has been edited by ChenZhen (edited June 04, 2001).]

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So why don't they put Martinez in the bullpen?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Because they would have no lead to save if Pedro didn't start.

------------------
    One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

5. haven

haven Member

Dreamer:

Generally, you want a pitcher who does one thing *very* well to be your closer. He's only going to have to face each batter once, so they're not going to get used to his "sweet pitch." That's why you get so many guys with 100 mile fastballs and nothing but a changeup as closers. Add a slider, and my, they're unbeatable [​IMG].

Lima, in his prime, won by having a few good pitchers, but I wouldn't call any of them deadly.

Does Oswalt have that one lethal pitch?

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Well, Lima did have a particularly wicked change-up. But his fastball has fallen off so much that his change-up has nothing to change from.

Oswalt has a pretty good fastball, but he doesn't have a pitch that makes hitters beat their chests and cry out in lamentation.

------------------
    This space currently being renovated. We apologize for the inconvenience.

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

How did Rod Beck save so many games then?

I think the closer role is one that is very stressful and must be filled by a guy who can live up to that challenge of saving a game. Lima is a very emotional guy, and I think he might just respond well if the organization puts that sort of trust in him.

Look, he's not coming back into the rotation (barring an injury... or two), and he's not the type of guy to pitch middle relief, so what do the L'Astros do with him?

I say, if Wagner is hurt, put the ball in Lima's hands and let him make it or break it. If he sucks how much worse off will the Stros be?

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page