1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell and his forced nicknames

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Oct 31, 2013.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I'm already really tired of his lame attempts to make "Rocketman" happen for Dwight Howard. Only slightly less bad is his "H&H Brothers" thing.

"Chandler Bang" is actually funny and kind of matches him, but didn't Bull come up with that?

But seriously, I don't understand why he thinks it's a good idea to repeatedly call a player by a nickname, particularly one that is not mainstream. (like when he would always refer to Yao Ming as "the Great Wall")

I know this has been beat to death, but I just wish our crew wasn't so awful. The only one I can really tolerate is Matt Bullard, and he's really just the least bad. I mean seriously, watch a Knicks broadcast. There's no comparison.

Does this bother anyone else or am I just nit picking?

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I kinda like Rocketman...

3. DarkHorse

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pubd-spHN-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I like Rocketman. But it's also my favorite Elton John song so there's that. Also like the Great Wall for Yao.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When he started calling him 'Rocketman' I was taken off guard. I didn't know where it came from. Here is this guy who is like an 8 year vet and nobody has ever called him that. And if there ever was a 'Rocketman', wouldn't it have been Hakeem Olajuwon? Or hell, even Rudy Tomjanovich for his thirty or so years in the Rockets organization?

That one definitely seemed forced.

6. antdrewjosh

antdrewjosh Member

I live in NJ and I love when I get to hear our announcers. I wish they would let Calvin back down there.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bill is a Houston sports legend and bridges many different Rockets era's. He's probably on his last few years of being able to provide us his voice & presence for Rockets games.

Bill, Bull, & Clyde might not be the greatest color analysts in the world, and might be cheesy with their one-liners and nicknames. However, if you take the good with the bad, and realize that there is only a few years left to be able to enjoy the good & re-live the memories, it makes the few cheesy moments very bearable.

I'm happy to have Bill as long as he can still keep going.

2 people like this.
  8. rullrich

rullrich Member

I get douche chills every time he says Rocketman - it's embarrassing.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

"Rocketman" is so cringeworthy.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Didn't Dwight pick the nickname?

Just know that this is not Worrell just making something up and running for it. It's a coordinated effort for marketing purposes.

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Dwight Picked Rocketman?

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Bill worrell nicknames > clutchfans nicknames ("Bad Man" for example LOL)

13. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

H&H boys is so terrible...

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Sounds like a terrible boy band.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Better than Dwight-dalgy or Howardalgy like that old man Milo would call every Astro.

16. AFS

AFS Member

Seems like Worrell is the one who picked it and Dwight just went along with it:

17. AFS

AFS Member

18. DarkHorse

I mean, that makes me just think that our marketing team is really bad.

But whoever puts together the videos and billboards and that kind of marketing is doing a bang up job, so I really don't think that the Rocket's marketing staff is incompetent.

Our broadcasting team is pretty weak by comparison. The only thing I've ever really liked about the broadcasting was Calvin Murphy, with all his eccentricities he was very knowledgeable and made a great color guy.

I'd rather have a few shades less homerism and a lot less embarrassing comments and buffoonery. Just keep cool and let the color guy inject some interesting insight into the locker room situation or what details about the plays they're running, etc. It's okay to react to a good play from the other team now and then if its a good one. Whining about every call and forcing fake nicknames and catchphrases is jarring over a long season.

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

As I have said before

Dream announcers for national TV games

- marv
    - webber
    - van gundy

Does Rosas need a job aswell now, how about we get some stat geek knowledge to explain to bill that Caanan was not the first overall draft pick..

No I can't get my way? O well atleast they make me laugh who the game gets sloppy

20. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

Someone should tell them to immediately kill the H&H Boys nickname. That is so horrible, it really kills the moment.