1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Bill Walton

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sonalikumar, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Lionel

Lionel Member

Walton Rocks!! He got my vote for the best commentator!!

My favorite comments from Walton in tonight's game (Pacers vs. Rockets):

"JVG is obviously not happy with the defense... if he pull his hair like that, he won't have any left before the end of this season..."

After Croshere did not catch an easy pass from his team mate, "he did not expect the pass... please tell them where you want the ball NEXT TIME.."

And all other hilarious comments!

2. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Did Walton call tonight's game against the Pacers also??? Damm...he's all over the places.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He was right about Cato though...Cato can't catch a cold.

DD

4. haven

haven Member

You're kind of... umm... overly upset about something fairly minor.

And it is true that the guy doesn't have the sort of cash necessary to buy a team outright.

5. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

You know why I like BWalton.. he loves the Rox and Yao especially.. its nice when you hear a commentator give the Rox some credit.

J

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Walton used to play like Yao. Walton was a great team player, great shot blocker and great passing center. He also had great fundamentals. His career was shortened due to injury.

Yao reminds me a little bit of Bill Walton's early years and Tim Duncan today.

I now realize why Walton became such a big Yao fan: Because Yao reminds Walton of his younger days.

#106 DavidS, Jan 24, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  7. theguent

theguent Member

That so funny- my friends and I do the exact same thing. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about how if you compiled all the best Walton-isms, it would be funnier than any standup comic out there. Who wouldn't laugh at hearing Michael Olawakandi being described as "one of the finest athletes in the hiiiistory of western civilization."

BTW- does anyone remember that show Bill had on ESPN last season, Walton's Strange Trip??? I remember seeing his son Luke's reaction to some of his commentary, or how when he interviewed Cat and Steve, they started cracking up when he used the word "teeeeerrrible". I loved watching that show.

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

LOL!!! Yep. That's Walton!

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

[​IMG]=[​IMG]

"Cool as the other side of the pillow"

:p

10. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

OK I know Walton can be obnoxious, but he's one of the few commentators who have EVER understood the center position. I happen to be old enough to remember Walton's playing days and that '77 championship season of the Blazers was a thing of beauty. When someone can rebound and pass the way he did then, then they can take his microphone. These other clowns that they trot out (color men and commentators) think the best pivot man is the one that beats the hell out of people (Shaq, et al.) The Eddie Curry's of the world will never get a clue.

11. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

"You're kind of... umm... overly upset about something fairly minor.

And it is true that the guy doesn't have the sort of cash necessary to buy a team outright."

what the hell are you talking about? Jay Z tried to by the Knicks, you think he only offered them a roll in his next video? Jay Z like P diddy is much more than rappers, there other intrest bring in more money than you think.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am salivating.

13. Wale

Wale Member

Sorry to burst your bubble Haven, but its pretty well known that Jay-Z (CEO of Rocca-fella records,Rocawear, Armandale Vodka, 40/40 club/restaurant) has a net worth well over 300 million.

He even lays claim to Reeboks fastest selling Footware EVER!..the S. Carter's from which he netted over 25 million dollars.

He could by the team outright if he was allowed to. We all know that all you need to do is put an investment group together in which you hold a majority stake and you're good to go. Thats what most buyers do.

Even P.diddy tried to by the Knicks, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how much he is worth (upwards of 400 miilion at last count by Fortune Magazine)

14. Wale

Wale Member

Also Rocawear did 150 miilion dollars in sales last year alone, but you get my point, I'm sure. Let me know if you want me to paste links with proof for you.

15. haven

haven Member

But the problem isn't how much he's "worth." It's what % of equity he'd want to tie into an NBA franchise, how much he'd want to disperse/mortgage his other property, etc.

The average NBA franchise, IIRC, goes for around 250m. Even if you're correct, that's a very large % of the guy's net worth. And if he wished to buy one of the league's "glamor" teams, he'd have to accept less than 100% ownership or arrange financing.

Although, tbh... it's not a real topic of interest to me, so I'm unaware of how many teams are bought outright ;). Not really in my range, even if Jay-Z may be somewhat close...

16. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

walton is HOOOOOOOOORIBLE
    need to go.
    I would luv for Calvin to go nation.
    Walton is as anoyying as nails on the chalkboard

17. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

walton sucks,even his coleagues get annoyed with him,remember his commentating with snapper,the third guy was like "here we go again iwth you too," he says dumb crap and is just annoying,even thought he praised dream, other than that he called on of the prtland rosters with sabonis "one of the greatest rosters in nba history" ,he said that last night. he's a dork,
    bill,calvin and marv albert rock.........

18. jayw3

jayw3 Member

I'd rather listen to B. Walton than D. Vitale who talkes about Duke like he's on the payroll. Then when they lose in the NCAA's, he has nothing to say but,"Wait until next year baby, coach K has a top 10 recruiting class." Blah, Blah, Blah.