1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Walton

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, Mar 2, 2007.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Hate him or love him, he was just commenting on Shaq's comeback from injury during the Miami-Detroit game on ESPN. He compared Shaq's performance to those of the immortals, "Hakeem Olujawon, Wilt, and Russell".

He mentioned Dream before Wilt and Russell. Coming from another all-time great center in Walton, it should mean something.

Then, they showed Walton's "5 greatest centers" list, and he had the following:

1) Russell
    2) Wilt
    3) Kareem
    4) Dream
    5) Shaq

Anyways, just thought I would throw that out there...

2. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Hard to argue where Shaq belongs. With the exception of Dream, those guys are all time greats. :)

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Walton, I met the guy a couple years back. he's not one of those dudes who shows up for the paycheck. he loves talking about basketball. he's not a big JVG fan, but he likes Yao.

His podcast on ESPN this week is a tribute to Dennis Johnson. Its good.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

If you missed it during pregame i was amazed at Tim Legler's analysis of the 5 greatest Centers of all time.

1. Bill Russell
    2. Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    3. Wilt Chamberlain
    4. Shaquille O'Neal
    5. Moses Malone

No Dream.

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

He lost all credibility when he said the Suns defens was better then ours.

I love his enthusiasm for the game, but the dude might be dumber then Barkley. Or at the least should think twice in his head before speaking.

6. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

50% of the time, he says stuff just to draw reactions. Unfortunately, that's encouraged in sports journalism.

Not to beat a dead horse, but saying that we should fire JVG is as bad... :p

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Who goes around saying stupid crap like that? :eek:

8. lalala902102001

If I tell you that Bill Walton spends hours thinking about all the crazy things he's going to say on TV, would you believe me?

9. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

bill walton is the john madden of nba :D

10. Dei

Dei Member

You have to realize that he can't be Bill Walton unless he says something moronic on a regular basis.

11. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I still place Hakeem over Wilt, Kareem, and Russell. The level of competition in the NBA was might higher when Hakeem was there. A lot of wilt's skill came because no one knew how to guars someone that tall at that time. Kareem didn't play D. But Bill Russell was SO GOOD that he's the ONLY center that I could justifiably see put above Hakeem. Still think Hakeem's better though.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You realize that Kareem probably blocked more shots in his career than Hakeem, right?

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Walton's list was chronological. He said on the broadcast that this wasn't in any rank order.

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

For many years Hakeem Olajuwon had less talent around him than any others on that list.

15. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Walton commentating on the Rockets/Clippers game in late 2002 was legendary.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Walton also said last night there were 5 teams in the running for the ring:

Dallas
    Phoenix
    San Antonio
    Detroit
    Miami

LOL. With a healthy Yao, we can blow out either Eartern team and we've got a decent shot at the top 3 in the West.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I understand why he would list those 5 ahead of the Rockets. Would be interesting to see who #6 would have been. If he put the Jazz or any other EC team ahead of us, then he would have no credibility at all IMO. If the Rockets start piledriving teams after Yao comes back, we will make everyone's top 5 list; but not before.

19. Chronz

Chronz Member

Russel is overrated, his teams were stacked and he was a horrid offensive player. So if you put Hakeem on that level your definately underrating him

20. pacertom

pacertom Member

You have to be kidding.

Maybe you are confusing him with Rodman or Ben Wallace. On a team laden with scorer,s he was comfortable doing all the dirty work, but he still averaged 15.1 ppg for his career.

Oh yeah, and 22.5 boards per game, with 9 rings.

Russell, Jordan, and Wilt are the three greatest players ever. Hakeem is in the next rung, with Magic, Bird, Oscar, Jerry West, and Kareem.