1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Walton is an idiot, and Jon Barry knows what he's talking about

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pearlon, Nov 24, 2006.

1. pearlon

pearlon Member

Watching the Suns-Nets game, and the commentators were talking about the MVP race 1 month into the season. Jon mentioned Carmelo, for pretty much carrying his team night in night out and actually winning. Walton goes on to say Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer, and Lebron James because the Jazz and Cavs have the best records. Jon says that doesn't mean they should win the MVP, it just means they have great teams.

Then, on another exchange, Nash hit a 3, which prompted Walton to say Nash should and will win the MVP 3peat. ESPN then showed graphic of 3-peat winners like Bird and Russell. Walton then says Nash should win it because, "just look at the suns, they are CLEARLY the most fun team to watch." Jon deadpans: "Then Nash should win the MFP, for Most Fun Player." That drew some chuckles from me, but it didn't seem to go over well with Walton. He responded, "You can name it whatever you want Jon, wow look at that pass by Steve Nash."

I respect Walton because he was once great, but he annoys me to no end more often than not.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, I think LeBron James and Boozer are both better MVP candidates than Carmelo Anthony, at least early on.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

its a good thing walton has a man crush on Dream.

4. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

You can't take Walton literally...he does more backflips than a Cirque de Soleil acrobat.

I remember watching Game 5 of the Spurs v Pistons Finals 2005 and he cracked me up, complimenting how well the Pistons were manhandling the Spurs and how terrible the Spurs were...in the second half he was singing a different tune.

5. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

God just reading about him gets that voice in my head... His voice is so annoying... Carmelo is a good MVP canidate.

6. tsunami

tsunami Member

No way Melo is a MVP candidate, this guy gets good numbers, but never make this teammates better.

7. max14

max14 Member

lol walton is hilarious and jon pwns him.

But to be fair, Walton did NOT say Nash should be the MVP. They showed three-peat MVP winners and asked if Nash could do it, and walton said it's possible. Walton also said because it's the media that votes it, that's why players like Nash can win. Walton again says he has a problem with that. He said "You know what's the problem, Jon, your father was a great player but he didn't win one, and Nash has two".

Get your facts straight and Walton is not an idiot.

8. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

bill walton is a genius... look at my signature and u'll know why :cool:

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Carmelo averages nearly as many turnovers (4.9) as rebounds (5.1), and Jon Barry's Dad is a douche.

10. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

i'm watchin the rerun of the suns nets game.. i love bill walton's commentaries...

he's always exaggerating and dramatic, jon barry and him make a great duo. :cool:

11. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

lol "mike d'antoni should be preisdent"

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

walton is hillarious

I love to listen to his crap...it doesnt get better

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Bill Walton for president...

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i LOVE bill walton!

he is hilarious. and some folks take him way too seriously.

his games are fun to watch.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Agreed, he's just goofy and funny on purpose, you can't take much of what he says seriously, but when he actually tries to be serious for a moment he does make some valid points.

BTW, wasn't Jon Barry the one who called Bill Walton an idiot last season? I am pretty sure it was him.

BTWII, someone should start a thread of all the classic JB quotes.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Walton is pure gold. He's the most entertaining announcer in the NBA.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Boozer = this year's Elton Brand

18. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Bill Walton: "Pau Gasol should be MVP because you can clearly see what his absence means to the Gizzlies" :D
    Jon Barry: "He has not played a single game"
    Bill Walton: "You are illustrating my point, Jon"
    Jon Barry: "That would be...MVBW...Most Valuable Bench Warmer"
    Bill Walton: " You can name it whatever you want, Jon"

here come the, that was not funny comments :(

19. AggieRocketFan96

i used to despise bill walton but over the years i've been able to look past his overexaggerations and actually enjoy his commentary. hopefully jon barry can see past that and get along with bill.

Speaking of the comment bill made about Jon's dad, jon sure did get silent on that one didn't he?

One thing about bill walton, he always seemed to be a huge fan of Hakeem even when all the other announcers were showing man-love to D-Robinson, bill calling the Rockets-Spurs WCF games were classic and he always seemed to highlight the Dream's devestation over Robinson.

20. d.wang

d.wang Member