1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Simmons: Trade Value, Part 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jman7373, Mar 17, 2015.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

sirbaihu would have been much better off comparing Harden to Martin, but yeah, there is 0 valid comparisons between Martin and Curry outside of D and even then, tons of players don't play D. Tons of players have quick releases. Tons of players are all about O. Again, for a blanket comparison between players to be valid, there has to be fundamental similarities between the 2 players. There is very little similarities between Curry and Martin.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Comparing Curry to Martin has no substance. It's about as superficial as its gets. People naturally dismiss it.

If you want to go by the numbers, it would actually be more reasonable(and I use that term loosely) to compare Martin to Harden.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

of course there is. they are both effecient shooters. Its a comparison. Its not comparing there playing style but comparing none the less.

Of course you can compare an accord to a corvetter just like you did. They have 4 wheels. they are both cars. both come with two doors. There is better comparisons like a camaro and vette for instance, doesnt mean they are comparable.

The guy was putting out his own sense of comparability. Yes indeed there are much better comparisons to be made, and for the record i think its a horrible comparison and do not agree with the poster. That doesnt mean he is wrong because he isnt. He just could have been better.

i completely understand why he made the comparison. They both suck on D. Both are effecient. Yes they play different positions and have different strengths and weaknesses. COMPLETELY different playing styles and forms.

BUT why attack him without adding substance? Why not say thats a bad comparison he is more like a glen rice or ray allen type of player. but even thats not accurate and you cant compare them perfectly. BECAUSE no two players are exactly alike. Its ridiculous. How about trying to inform posters instead of laughing and attacking them?

I learned alottttt from ClutchFans. Before this sight i can honestly admit i was a flipping idiot about the game compared to my current knowledge. Thats thanks to quality posters who inform and have intellectual conversation and help you figure things out. I never learned a single flipping thing from someone saying "your an idiot" "hahaha" etc...

I thought the Lofs was the reason this board struggle so badly but its not true. Its better but man just three-4 years ago this site weas significantly better.

:RantOver:

4. a711

a711 Member

James Harden is Steve Francis 2.0!

Iso player who is strongest on offense.

Martin is Harden 2.0

Curry is Steve Francis 2.0

Steve Francis IS Kevin Martin?

*mind blown*

I literally can't believe some people have the intellectual dishonesty to try to continue to claim that calling Curry the second coming of Kevin Martin is anything more than a superficial moment of idiocy.

5. WinkFan

When someone says Curry is Kevin Martin 2.0, what can you possibly offer that will inform them? It's not like they are new to this site.

6. BigMaloe

who knows? but what does attacking him accomplish? Disagree and move on.

who would you say is comparable to Curry?

7. WinkFan

I don't really think there is a reasonable one.

Here are a few career numbers for Curry.
    20.8 ppg, 6.4 3PAT, 43.6% 3P%, and 6.9ast

I did a search on Basketball reference with the following career numbers:
    20 ppg, 4 3Pat, 38% 3p%, and 5.5ast.

That got me one other name: Kyrie Irving.

That's the closest one I could come up with by the numbers, but I don't think it's particularly good. Another possibility is Damian Lillard, but he's less at almost everything compared to Curry.

#67 WinkFan, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I am not sure why you insist on arguing this as the comparison was indisputably dumb. I trust that you understand the distinction between a piss poor "comparison" and a legitimate/logical/intelligent one. To begin with, he made a blanket comparison by calling Curry a Martin 2.0. This is an incorrect comparison as the number of differences grossly outnumbers the number of valid similarities. Like I said, he should have said "Curry is just Martin 2.0 on D and efficiency" which would be a valid, if not still stupid/asinine comparison considering that literally applies to a lot of players in the league. Face it, he made a piss poor and extremely r****ded comparison that does not apply for anyone with half a wits understanding of basketball. It is not a matter of whether or not it was perfect or if there could have been better. It is just a BAD comparison due to it being wholly untrue.

9. BigMaloe

it was a horrible comparison. but ranting continuely is just as horrible. i agree with you, i really do.

I honestly cant think of a player i could compare him to? literally no one? i didnt watch Dell play. was he like? idk who the hell to compare him to.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I strongly believe that when someone says something dumb, they should be told that they said something dumb. That way they know and learn from it. If they are smart, they will ask why so many people feel their idea was dumb, though so many people had already explained it to him.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Oh hi guys. You've been talking about me!

12. ribbit

ribbit Member

Can we just start a "Stephen Curry, defensive juggernaut" video, please?!

13. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

The analogy here is that the world loves soccer and many Americans don't... The whole world probably isn't wrong.

14. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

Did anyone notice K.J. McDaniels made the first part of the list under honorable mention? Link

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Curry is like soccer and I just don't get it, huh? I admit I watch soccer even less than I watch Steph Curry.

Well at least I helped you guys get your Steph Curry fan club started.

16. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

If Curry really gets that hot and can't miss for semi-extended stretches, then that means that he's usually terrible. Say what you will, but Westbrook and Harden's consistency makes it so that they are a cut above Curry.

17. WinkFan

Curry has scored 19 points or more in 52 of 65 games. Harden has scored 19+ in 51 of 66 games.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yep.

The big difference is free throws. Curry attempts at less than half of Westbrook/Harden.

Which is why it can seem like Curry has more hot streaks yet they are all very consistent high scorers. Curry does have more hot streaks, because to be that consistent high scorer, he has to hit shots, not get to the line.

If/when Westbrook and Harden have hot streaks, they are equally unguardable, if not more so.