1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: Trade Value, Part 3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jman7373, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Even his post game interview is on par. Reggie Jackson knows the current game better than even McHale. He'd be a better coach right now as he is :grin:

2. delishman

delishman Member

K-Mart in his prime with the Kings was underrated but...

come on now. Let's stop while we are behind.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm just surprised he put Harden over Westbrook and Durant. Grantland has been hating hard lately even as Bill maintains Harden's slight MVP lead.

I'm not bothered by the ranking.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He had Harden ahead of Curry when he did it on tv and has since changed it, lol

He also had Durant at #3 then

5. rocketseagles07

Lmao. The greatest shooter off the dribble in nba history that impacts his team in the w column and he's kevin martin 2.0.... WOW

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You just trumped the stupidity of your previous post. The only similarities between the 2 players are that they are both light skinned, have similar haircuts, and suck at D. The differences however, make a list a mile long, starting with:

- They play different positions
    - Curry has ball handling skills, Martin barely has any
    - Curry has court vision and passing skills, Martin doesn't
    - Curry is a superior shooter, especially on the move
    - Curry is a better defender across the board
    - They have completely 2 different playing styles

You don't like Curry, that's fine, but calling him Kevin Martin 2.0.whatever is just the height of stupidity.

7. blackistan

blackistan Member

Super long read but its worth it..much praise and mention for past and current Rockets

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Does it really matter who is better?

Harden? Curry? Westbrook?

They are vastly differently players in their own right with their strengths and flaws. If I was a GM starting a team I would rank them in Harden, Westbrook, Curry just based on health and age.

But even with all that above I think the best thing to say is that for once the Rockets are beyond lucky and fortunate to have ONE of the three players mentioned. Not only that we have the youngest player of the three as well. Does it really matter which one is better or which is not as good. A few years ago most people would sell their soul to get players not even to their caliber on this team - now it just seems rather than sit back and appreciate the greatness Harden displays night in and night out we must try to validate that greatness by comparison? There is no need for validation whatsoever - the results speak for themselves. The last time we've seen a Rockets player put on a show like James has done this season was McGrady back in 04-05 - his first year here and sadly that was the peak of his time with the Rockets. James has steadily gotten better each season and took a huge leap this year.

edit: and the person who thinks Curry is a rich man Kevin's Martin - no way they are too completely different players only way they are similar is the lack of defense they play but offensively Curry is light years ahead in a total package of offense

9. a711

a711 Member

Worse than sirbaihu's asinine post was a mod trying to defend him

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This. It's insane he is only paid 11 mill/yr. I know it's because of his injury history before the signing, but getting a superstar for ~1/2 of a max contract is a damn steal.

I would not mind at all putting him above Lebron on trade value. But that lingering injury history still worries me.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

No, what is worse is the people around here who want to read stuff into a post that isnt there. It isnt my fault some of you want to argue what wasnt said.

This is why the better posters do not bother engaging in discussion here.

Not enough rolleyes to express my disdain....seriously.

12. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right.. well, it is easy to hear Curry and Bird in the same vein and think wtf... not even close yet. BUT.. to the specific point he was comparing, I kind of agree.

Look, every player when they are on fire is amazing to watch. And for the special players even more so. And for the truly special amazing players, man what a feeling.

And to be fair, that doesn't happen a lot. Even with Kobe, I just personally never got that feeling a lot. He was rarely "ON" the way Curry can be. Even on his huge scoring nights, often it was as much volume as efficiency. Not always, but often. I've gotten that feeling occasionally with Lebron, definitely occasionally with Durant... and certainly you can argue with other players since Bird's days... um, hello... MJ anyone?

But on the whole, that feeling you start to get when Curry is on really and truly is right up there with the best of the best. The feeling that the second that ball leaves his finger tips its truly not hitting a thing until it goes through that net and hits the ground. That he doesn't even have to watch to see it go in. That it doesn't matter who's guarding him, how tightly.

And it's not a feeling Westbrook or Harden elicit. Westbrook is more that Kobe style. Harden is more that he'll find a way to score, efficiently, but it may not always be pretty style. That's just my two cents. It doesn't mean I'm comparing him to Bird overall as a player, or MJ, or anyone. And heck, he wasn't even the best player on his team to do that this year - that Klay 3rd quarter is the hottest stretch of 12 minutes of ball I've ever seen.

Here's what Simmons said, which he noted was comparable to a Bird quality

I haven't been to a lot of basketball games lately. Used to go to a ton.
    And I am of course a crazy Rockets fan. Other teams... meh.

But all that said, if I had to pick one player I'd want to see live right now, it's Curry.

As a fan of an opposing team, you know it annoys me. The mouth-guard swag. The Draymond Green attitude. Bogut being Bogut. But man, dude can ball.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

win share is a cumulative stat. Martin has a higher win share because he has played 6000 more minutes than Curry. Curry's ws/48 minutes is significantly higher than Martin's.

You're not impressed by a player who has the 8th best assist average among active players?

15. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Even if your argument is that Curry is as bad a defender as Martin, which isn't true, to compare them offensively is a joke. Curry does so much more than just score.

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

HAHAHAH

17. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Lol wut?????

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yall are crazy. I understand the comparison to kevin martin. Of course it isnt a perfect comparison but there is no such thing as a perfect comparison. All players are different. Just like harden compared to manu makes no sense but yet does. You guys are looking way to into it.

Yes actually you can compare the two players, by the numbers. They are quite similiar even if one took an insane different amount of fts while the other an insane amount more of assists. Doesnt mean they arent relatable because they are.

The comparison is just in the fact both dont play defense, put up certain similiar stats, have quik releases, and are effecient.

I use to love this board and couldnt stop typing, but R2K is right when he said the better posters would rather not get involved in discussions anymore.

Heres a tip, instead of attacking the poster, how about you just rebuttal and add substance to the topic and discussion. Instead of "hahaha" "your an idiot" these are not intelligent posts but rather a waste of bandwidth.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

the fact is that there is no comparison bw curry and martin.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There is ZERO comparison between the 2. That's like saying that an Accord is similar to a Corvette because they both have 4 wheels. Not only is it an invalid comparison, but a dumb one at that. For something to be compared similarly to something or in this case NBA players, there has to be a fundamental similarity between the two players. The only commonality between Martin and Curry is that both are poor defenders, that is all. Their shooting forms are different. Their playing styles are different. Their stats outside of maybe scoring are different. If the poster had suggested that "Curry is like Martin 2.0 on D" then the discussion would be radically different.