1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons Podcast : Jalen Green Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, May 24, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun is better than Mobley.

clos4life and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i still take green. this team, this rebuild, needs an alpha/#1 option. Jalen may or may not become a good enough #1 to compete but he damn sure gives you a shot.

a great defender does nothing on his own.
    draymond was so immaculate because the team around him but could you imagine him being the guy?
    gobert was amazing also but so what he got forced off the court.
    OG anunoby is cool but not someone to spearhead a rebuild
    etc...
    etc...
    etc...

doesnt matter. you cant build around a defense only guy. we needed someone to build around.

it was and always will be the correct draft choice. whether it works out when we read back on history who knows.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

On offense I agree and there isn't even a debate. But the same can be said about the other side in reverse.

tycoonchip, REEKO_HTOWN and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Most likely Green will shoot better and take better shots. The real question is how much more he improves.

My main concern with Green isn't his shot or shot selection. He is on a terrible team, with a bad coach and there are no expectations internally placed on him because there is zero accountability with the Rockets - BUT I am pretty confident in his character when in a good situation. I think he will be a solid shooter.

My concern is that he isn't a very good playmaker and he is a liability defensively. Which means that the Rockets need a point guard that is long and big, and can create for others but also can defend well. That really limits the pool to choose from.

For example, Scoot Henderson is the second best player in this draft and is the best player in most drafts. He is an excellent fit offensively next to Green. He can score, he can pass and he would set up Green well and get out in transition well with Green. Two very good athletes. The issue is defensively. Scoot is only 6'2" and even though he is a solid defender, he will have a hard time defending shooting guards next to Green.

So teams are going to hunt down and exploit Green in the backcourt and Henderson too in switches.

So Green has a lot of upside, and I expect him to score 25 points a game or more in his prime - but he also has some flaws that he cannot easily fix like his physical limitations defensively.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

there needs to be a discussion.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

it would be a whole different discussion if Mobley was here averaging 14 and 9 creating nothing on his own while his defense has no impact, and Jalen Green was the one who was actually in a good environment

Mobley has 75% of his buckets assisted

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The one thing is for sure: Silas would have turned Mobley into an even worse player.

#127 DreamShook, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Put Mobley on this Rockets team and see how good he looks...

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Probably a lot like Jabari Smith

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Subjective opinion on who is “better” is kind of a pointless debate. Way different type of players. Way different roles. Way different environments. Etc etc.

About the only thing you could argue is who would net more assets in a standalone trade? A big part of value is ability to adapt and fit into multiple roles. Hard to see any trade paying more for Sengun than Mobley at this point.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I honestly don't think it's a debate on offense for Sengun and it's not a debate for Mobley on defense. Now the gap on defense is probably bigger than the gap on offense so who you think you value more depends on which side of the court you put more worth in and that's where it's subjective.

In that sense most GMs probably would chose Mobley over Sengun because Mobley is a lot more plug and play while you have to build a system around Sengun and find defensive bigs to pair with him who can stretch the floor.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I guess this is what Jalen gets for being classy and going on Simmons’ show after he bashed him. Simmons gets douchier by the year.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree with this ..... Getting a superstar #1 was and still is job 1.

Mobley was never going to be that guy. Only Green or maybe Barnes (my #1 choice) gave you the chance to draft that type of player of those on the board at the time they picked.

Honestly, I think that entire draft has been disappointing and right now Giddy might be the best player from that group.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

double post .... Just padding my stats!.

#134 Corrosion, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I would 100 percent pick Mobley over everyone if I was already a contender.

But on a mess of a team like the Rockets, I would probably still go with Cade because he can orchestrate an entire offense or has the potential to.

The rest of the draft are full of half baked products maybe except for Wagner who is just as solid as it gets.

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

Opponents pretty much park in the paint against us daring us to shoot because we're the worst shooting team in the league. How well would Mobley do offensively when pretty much all of his points come in the paint

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, I agree on Mobley, I don’t see him as a superstar. I also have been b****in for awhile how disappointing the overhyped 2021 draft class is. I agree that Giddy is very interesting, may turn out to be the best in the class. I disagree about Barnes, however: very solid, but I’d be shocked if he grows into a superstar. Same with Wagner.

The guy with the most superstar potential, however, is Sengun, IMO. True baller and has shown a bit of that “WOW" factor that you need in a superstar.

Cade, Green, Suggs, Moody, Bouknight: all hyped-up before the draft, all trash now. I’d still think of that group Jalen Green has the best chance to become something. The burst and the bounce are exceptional, and he does have decent hand dexterity, shooting mechanics, and footwork. We’re not talking here just an athletic freak, is not a Stacey Augmon type of player. Problem is upstairs: he needs to throw away the prima ballerina act and start playing ball and do the things needed to help the team.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is not better than Mobley.

Evan will likely become the best defensive player in the League, while being able to have his way insiide or out on the offensive end.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cleveland is doing so good right now after having Lebron and Kyrie.

Future is well set for the next decade.

It's pretty insane, they should have more titles and fewer Finals appearances to be honest.

Plowman likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Mobley will thrive because he gets to play with legit All Stars and a very good team instead of being at the bottom.

If Mitchell is there for a long time, he'll pass the torch to Garland and Mobley eventually.

Plowman likes this.