1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons Podcast : Jalen Green Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, May 24, 2022.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not really a "catastrophe", but yea Mobley defintiely was the correct pick and it's a decision that will be judged heavily on Stone. Jalen will be better once he has competent coaching and some vet support like Mobley does, though.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If Jalen Green will be better how is Mobley the correct pick?

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

And just curious can you estimate what Mobley's efficiency and impact would be on the Rockets?

Like on a team with elite guard play he scores 75% of his plays off of assists and still has a ts% less than 60%. I would expect someone who is as long as explosive as Mobley to have a much higher scoring efficiency when 75% of his makes are set up.

I dare not imagine what his efficiency would be on this team.

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I meant better in relation to where he is now, not vs. Mobley long term. I don't see Jalen surpassing Mobley as who you'd prefer to build a team around.

CircaSurvive likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

If Jalen Green scored 75% of his makes on set ups and still had a ts% under 60% I would be severely disappointed. No way someone like that can be a focal point on an offense. Alpi scores most of his buckets unassisted and still scores more efficiently than Mobley. That's sad.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm not estimating what his efficiency would be on the Rockets. I'm just going off the fact that Mobley's already one of the best young defensive players in the game with plus-level offense & passing ability at the center position. That's difficult to find & I'd rather have that than Jalen who has not effected the game outside of scoring much.

And I say that as a Jalen fan. I like him and think he'll be very good long term.

NewAge likes this.
  7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Never said you want to make Mobley the focal point of an offense.

8. fchowd0311

Why wouldn't you guess? Just imagine someone who scores 25% of their makes unassisted with a scoring efficiency of 58% ts with prime Mitchel and an up and coming elite pg feeding him and now replace that with the Rockets playmakers and pg play.

9. fchowd0311

My bad. I assume "build around" implies being a focal point on offense. Through my pattern recognition of following the sport that is usually the case I've noticed.

Don't know many non focal points on offense who teams build around.

10. a time to chill

I wanted Mobley, but still way too early to say the Rockets made a mistake.

I think Stone hedged on passing up on Mobley by trading to get Sengun, so if both Green and Sengun turn into franchise cornerstones, Stone may end up looking like a genius.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where you say it is important.

And ‘today’ important not to say it.

12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Why not?

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I love Mobley. I wanted the Rockets to draft him. But guys like Simmons are overrating him. He looks good because he plays on a good team next to another great big man. Put him on the Rockets and I don’t think we win any more games.

I also don’t really get the “build around” argument. You build around a #1 scoring threat, not a defensive big who can’t shoot 3s.

14. i3artow i3aller

15. King713

King713 Member

Evan Mobley is already banging his head on his ceiling and this dude talking about Jalen.

heypartner likes this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Year 3 is the appropriate timing to pass judgement on Jalen. But yeah, if we could go back in time I’m pretty sure most rockets fans would want Mobley over Jalen. Still can’t call it a catastrophe just yet, and Bill Simmons knows better.

but I guess I fall into the catagory of Stone better not have missed on that pick or he should be fired. I’m pretty sure Jalen will turn out to be a good scorer. Not sure if he’ll turn out to be a top 50 player. Mobley for sure will be one if he isn’t already. So will Giddy, etc.

txtodd likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

I don't think a majority of rocket fans would prefer Mobley over Green even in hindsight.

I know you are one of the posters here who always hated Green.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I got off Twitter awhile ago, but does it really use European date stamping ? (8/3/23)? C'mn elon.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Mobley is a dork.

20. MystikArkitect

Green was still the right choice. Evan would just be taller Jabari here.