1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Simmons Podcast : Jalen Green Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, May 24, 2022.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

BS is just another bad hot take artist.

He says he was joking about saying "**** JG" then he votes Herb Jones over him for all-rookie team.

Then he grovels to him by inviting him onto his podcast to make it seem like they're friends when the whole interview had an awkward vibe.

Let me get this straight, you think Herb Jones is a better player than JG, then on the same podcast you say that JG will average 25/5/5 next year.

Lol what a ****ing clown!

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’d take 5 rings over…

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If Kobe played smarter he might've had 10. Talent and work ethic wise he's up there and might be the greatest. But he used to do some of the dumbest **** I've seen on a court till Russ. Just because you can occasionally make a turnaround fade over 3 defenders doesn't mean should keep trying.

4. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Which part of the off-the-court stuff with Kobe do we want Jalen to emulate; dating and getting engaged to a 17-year old high school student after 6 months as a 21-year old, recording and releasing a rap album after a season where he was swept in the second round, admitting to raping a hotel worker 6 months after his first daughter was born, only skating by because his accuser was under such intense pressure to not testify, or forcing the Lakers to trade Shaq by threatening to leave in free agency, only to demand a trade himself a few years later? And all of this before he turned 30!

This is not to slander Kobe's name at all, but rather to celebrate that the guy everyone holds up as having the ultimate killer mentality was still human, and prone to making some huge mistakes in his life that he overcame and grew from. A tremendous human being, complete with both highs and lows.

It's a good thing to consider if you're ever considering criticizing the newest generation for streaming on Twitch, posting on Instagram, painting their nails, or hanging out with rappers in strip clubs. By and by, the league and the players have never been more substance-abuse free and clean of criminal-extracurriculars in its history. The Rockets are one of the youngest squads in the history of the league, let the kids have fun, they're gonna be alright.

BonziWellsGOAT, cmlmel77 and bumbum09 like this.
  5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

You're preaching to the choir bro, I'm the last guy anybody would call a Kobe fan. Maybe I should have worded that as "in the gym" instead of off court. I was just referring to his drive to get better and work ethic. For all the BS about Mamba mentality from the media and Kobe fans, I believe that at least his overall attitude towards the game was geniunue.

HI Mana likes this.
  6. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Problem with Simmons “winning is what matters” argument is that Cade and Wagner are on teams just as bad as the Rockets yet they deserve to be there? Pure hater.

7. i3artow i3aller

8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I think Bill Simmons is going to end up eating his words here, just like he did with his premature takes on Yao, and just like he has countless times before. I will give him credit in that he usually admits when he's wrong, though.

AroundTheWorld, Dredd and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I seriously wonder how Mobley would look on this team. We would be losing one of our most talented self creators which this team is in real short supply of for a a glorified lob threat. Is his defensive impact really going to be felt on this team?

Roomba likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

I hope thread doesn't turn into Green gang vs Mobley mob. Part of hope originally was Jabari filling Evan's role on the team; but that may take time or might not manifest itself.

#90 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  11. Nook

Nook Member

First, when did Bill Simmons opinions on the value of players become relevant?

A large percentage of his opinions have proven to be wrong.

Second, yeah there is a really good chance that Evan Mobley will be a more value NBA player than Jalen Green. Right now, if both were to be traded, Mobley would fetch a lot more.

However, the decision to draft Green wasn't made in a vacuum, and there were a lot of things that went into it. First, Evan Mobley's father didn't even want him to work out with the Rockets, so that very well may have killed him going to the Rockets. Second, while it is possible that Mobley would be putting up bigger numbers on the Rockets, it is also possible he would be exposed more if he were on the Rockets.

Would I trade Green for Mobley right now? Yeah I would, but it isn't a catastrophe and there is a chance Green does better and develops into the better player once the toxicity of the Rockets is gone.

I will say that a front-line of Mobley and Wemby would be fun to watch.

Then again......... the success of the Rockets keeps going back to the same thing - what they get in this upcoming draft. If they get Wemby or Mobley or possibly Miller, it will not matter that they drafted mediocre the last couple of years.

Roomba and BelgianRocketsFan like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

It’s still…

BigMaloe, Nook and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

It is hard to say.

First, Mobley is a glorified lob threat on the Cavs because they have Mitchell and Garland. They don't have shots to give him and want him and Allen to worry about other things. So he would likely score more on the Rockets, but with less efficiency.

Second, Mobley wouldn't be as good defensively on the Rockets. He wouldn't have Allen and the Rockets do not defend at all. The guards are undisciplined and the post players are out of position. His defense would help the Rockets, but I don't think it would matter at THIS POINT. Now, if the Rockets add someone like Scoot or Miller, then we could start to see his defense matter once the Rockets get better.

As for Green versus everyone else...... that entire class has warts, not just Green. Mobley has issues shooting, Cunningham lacks quickness and cannot stay healthy.... Green has real defensive limitations and is also not a great facilitator..... Barnes has a lot of upside, but he doesn't carry you offensively and even defensively they are over extending him....... Franz Wagner is a really good player, but not special.....Suggs is a hell of a defender but he cannot shoot and Giddey cannot defend.

14. fchowd0311

Mobley is longer and is a different level of athlete than Jabari so he might fair a bit better on the Rockets than Jabari but I doubt he provides meaningful impact that would generate praise by the national media. In fact I think Sengun would still be put most consistent and effective player still.

15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol literally the only reason Bill is saying this is because the Celtics just lost to Cleveland and Mobley put up 25 and 17. Any time Bill has a take on any player it's going to be solely based on the recent game that player had against Boston.

16. fchowd0311

I think the vast majority of players at this age range will have flaws and limitations. I just think Green's flaws such as inconsistent shooting and poor **** selection are more correctable. His innate talents that can't be taught like his ability to break perimeter defenses are what to me give him the highest ceiling. We are seeing meaningful improvements in his playamking and I think he will just get better. He already collapses defenses a lot generating open teammates around the court. He's starting to find them more often than before.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What are saying about this in the League's WHISPER CIRCLES though...?

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Did Mobley want to be here though? He didn’t even visit Houston if I remember right. I preferred Mobley but Green will be a 25 point scorer on a good team.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Take by force. :D
    [​IMG]

Green's scoring is still on a trajectory; but my hope is he can be neutral on defense.

groovemachine likes this.
  20. RocketsDraftTV

think Mobley didn’t wanna play with kpj