1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Bill Simmons NBA playoffs mailbag: Very Interesting Trade scenario for the Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abigwreck, May 22, 2009.

1. 1individual

1individual Member

Those trade scenerios are dumb. I wouldn't take Chandler, Peja, Posey, none of them except for Chris Paul.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on what is quite likely the stupidest post in this whole thread.

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I knew that a few of my interpretations would be off. I wasn't sure which ones would fail.

Miami
    I nodded to Jermaine having a contract that would work in this scenario. Would Wade and Paul be able to share the ball without their individual games being diminished?

Detroit
    In the general overview, I mentioned them going for a redo this summer and perhaps hesitant to take on significant vet salary after striving to dump salary. But I didn't list them in the summary of teams in the conclusion.

I have never thought of Detroit as leaking much information and Dumars played with Zeke a few decades ago, so he knows the impact that a really dynamic PG can have. Since he is a solid GM, he might make a bold move.
    I view the Darko draft mistake as an outlier on Dumar's <i>resume</i>.

Oklahoma City
    Yes, they are definitely a possible participant if they choose to make an extremely bold move with a young squad.

Overall, it still leaves only a handful of teams that would be considered viable contenders to do a major trade with New Orleans.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Thanks for reminding me to rep thecabbage.

5. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

awful trade.

6. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Hey if you 99ers don't remember, who will?

At Rockets2k: ;)

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

that's the whole friggin team??

8. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I wonder how Chris Paul would change the team. You can't just throw stars on a team and expect it to work out. On the one hand, he dominates the ball... but this season has been a season where everyone moved the ball. With Chris Paul on the team we would turn into more of a pick and roll oriented offense (not that this is a bad thing when we're middle of the pack on offense as it is). The other thing I fear is that we don't really have a Tyson Chandler for Paul to utilize the pick and roll with. We have Scola... but he isn't athletic at all. Yao could probably do it because if they double Paul off the pick that leaves Yao open in the post. And Yao is tall enough that he can roll to the basket and if the pass is good he'll get a dunk.

Not saying this would be a bad trade, but don't expect the Rockets to turn into the Hornets on offense if this deal goes through.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill Simmons needs to stop pulling trades out of his ass.

(That said, You trade everything you can to get a player like CP3. If we can keep Ron and Yao, and get him, you HAVE to do it...)

10. battousai

battousai Member

I doubt they will let go of their franchase in Chris, unless that is lebron or kobe.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Again, this is all a fantasy, something that those who have been critical of members having fun with the Simmons speculation might try to keep in mind, but I think Paul would be PERFECT in Adelman's system. The other weapons left on the roster depend, of course, on who leaves and who comes to Houston in this hypothetical trade, but simply imagine Paul during the Portland and LA series, running the offense, joining Artest in creating havoc among the opposing teams just stealing the ball (putting aside the incredible pressure Paul puts on any team attempting to guard him... exhausted defenders in the 4th, baby!), adding his 23 ppg, his 11 assists, 50% shooting, 86% at the charity stripe, decent long ball percentage, amazing A/T ratio.

Man, I salivate just thinking about him on the Rocks. Hanging onto one of our two 4's comes close to a deal breaker to me, but it wouldn't stop the trade if I held the gavel, either. Quick decisions, ball movement, pick and roll, drive and dish, shooting at a high percentage from just about everywhere... man, oh man! Gimme this dude in our uniform! :cool:

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Actually, i dont think paul fits the system, but he's good enough that you adjust your system. Its no different than when kidd was running it in nj and in no, scott is from the adelman tree, so it could work. Paul is a dream probably, like you said.

13. ringin08

ringin08 Member

I see that there are two clear sides for and against this trade above.

I wouldn't do that trade as it is. I can't imagine DM giving up both Scola and Landry and getting back only Chandler who is really a center. We would have to rebuild at the four all over again. So I don't think this trade would work as it is, or be done by DM.

I haven't read every page in this thread, it's 25 pages, but of the 10 or so I did read, I didn't see this possibility:

On the other hand, this trade worked out on ESPN trade machine:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qfdvfx

CP3, Chandler and Peja for Brooks, Tmac, Battier, Barry and Hayes

The Rockets end up with:

CP3/Lowry
    Wafer/White
    Artest/Peja
    Scola/Landry
    Yao/Chandler

I wouldn't mind Peja off the bench, who knows maybe he can regain some shooting touch since he already knows Adelman's system. Landry/Chandler off the bench would be amazing.

We might only be weak at the 2 with Wafer/White, assuming we resign Wafer. Haven't checked to see if we still have room after that, but I think we would definitely be contender favorites with that lineup.

I don't really care if NO likes the deal, if they need help, that's the best I would give them.

14. showtang043

showtang043 Member

I don't know what to say, I am pretty shocked so I had to chime in. Mortaging our future? Do you see the scrubs Paul plays with and leads every night, he is 24 and the best point guard in the game for easily the next 8 years...we surround him with mediocre talent our team will still be good. Put Yao Ming on his current team and ron artest, then keep chandelor and peja a shooter who he can maximize, were looking at a 2-3 year championship window, then yao retires, and we still ahve the best pg and leader in the game for another 6 years, better than having this team with its 1-2 year championship window nad no rebuilding blocks but a aaron brooks and carl landry both solid role players, but nothing to build around, aaron shows he can score but he is a defensive and size liability and is best as a scoring 6th man off the bench a la earl boykins or bobby jackson in his prime, landry is also a role player.. i am shocked, its totally homering that trade is a no brainer...and theres no way NO does it without Yao in the package bc without paul and tthey won't sell anyseats and will lose more money

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That's cool because we need to keep a spot open for Wade when he decides to sign here for the league minimum.

16. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Before I say anything, I wanna reiterate that I would do this trade any day of the week... but I don't see him helping us in the same way he helps New Orleans. The Rockets without Tmac shared the ball, moved it around. It'd go into Yao. He'd get doubled so they'd re-post him. Someone fronts him so they move the ball around to the other side and let someone else make a play. Point is... everyone was passing it. Now you bring Paul in... he gets those assists, but he also dominates the ball. And as I mentioned before, you don't have that Chandler pick and roll game. You'll have a good pick and pop game with Scola probably. Yao can pick and roll sometimes. But the point is the offense won't work exactly like it did in New Orleans.

On the bright side, no one is going to front Yao anymore. Because then Chris Paul will get a free layup. But we'd probably turn back into the pick and roll Rockets similar to when McGrady was the #1 option.

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Trading T-Mac and filler for Paul and filler would be acceptable... but this trade is too much.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I should clarify. By "acceptable", I mean freaking amazing, assuming McGrady can never get close to healthy again... but then I'd still feel kinda bad for Brooks. If that happened, I guess we'd try to trade Brooks for a more athletic swingman or a backup center.

... Of course, I'm probably getting way ahead of myself here, as neither trade is likely to ever go down.

19. thekad

thekad Member

I still don't understand why the Hornets would want Shane. I doubt he'd be a part of any deal.

CP3 + Chandler + Peja + Posey for T-Mac, Brooks, Landry, Cook, picks, cash would probably work, but I can't see Les paying that kind of luxury tax for the next two years.

20. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

That trade would be a no-brainer.

We are still lack that extra star power to be a legit title contender. Chandler is the perfect complement to Yao as a PF, Paul would be able to control the tempo and allow us to play fast and slow. Don't forget we'd still be able to keep Artest.