1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons NBA playoffs mailbag: Very Interesting Trade scenario for the Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abigwreck, May 22, 2009.

1. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Was just reading this article and saw this. I doubt this trade would ever go down but what are your thoughts on the possibility if it did go down?

Obviously it would completely change the face of our team, and we would be stuck with 2 older players with crappy contracts. (Peja, Posey) But with Tyson Chandler and Yao in the front court with Chris Paul at the point? :eek:
    Would be interesting

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090522/part1&sportCat=nba

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In other words, we are making Yao a Hornet and then, and then move Hornets to Houston and move Rockets to New Orleans?

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

lol. i think that's exactly the type of deal it would take, if it were even possible, and i can't think of a single other team that could offer that much in expiring contracts and cheap young talent. how much does portland have expiring?

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Was just reading this myself. Would certainly be a no-brainer from a talent perspective, but I wonder how the loss of both of our jump-shooting 4s would impact Yao's effectiveness.

5. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I would cry

6. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

We'd be gutting the whole team for paul. i'd hate to see our guys go but its something worth considering... all this said though, no way the hornets deal CP3, he's dreaming.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

As great as Paul is.. damn.. we'd have to give up our 2 PF's, our upcoming PG, and our best defensive player for Paul, Peja (who is like 32+), Posey (also in his 30's) and an injury prone Chandler. It would be hard to decide though which side to choose...

8. kanariya

kanariya Member

I would like Paul in Houston but giving up Landry, Scola and Shane is hard for me.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

LOL, No way. We give up all of our key pieces.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

BTW, this whole chris paul wet dream that has come up in a few threads over the past week reminds me a bit of how in 2004, a few random posts suggested hypothetically for grins that we offer a package for mcgrady knowing full well the chances of acquiring a talent like that were close to zero...

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You read my mind.

This would be hard to come to grips with, especially after this stellar playoff run w/out Yao.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Between trading all our team for Chris Paul or trading McGrady for Iggy+Dalembert, there is a no-brainer.

We aren't so far from contending, lets not trade all our jewels that Morey has acquired (Scola, Landry, Brooks), high result players with cheap contracts!

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I didn't say anything......................

15. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

I would prefer TMac, ABrooks and BBarry for CPaul and TChandler.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

C Yao
    PF Chandler
    SF Peja
    SG Artest
    PG Paul

Bench:
    Posey
    Lowry
    Wafer
    Chuck
    White

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. Certainly intriguing though. I'd be more for it if we didn't have to give up both Landry and Scola.

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I wouldn't do this trade. It's so one-sided. You basically give up almost the entire Rockets' roster just for Paul + some?? Not worth it. You give up Brooks and our power forward Landry and Scola and not only that Battier and Tmac?? You're kidding me right?? Battier and Scola and our biggest pitbulls...we don't need soft players like Peja.

The lineup of Paul Artest Peja Chandler Yao is not appealing to me. You have 2 players in Artest and Peja that can't or hardly effective when it comes to penetration...not a good idea if you want to play with Yao. Yao needs someone to constantly attacking the basket fearlessly.

Chandler is not any better than Scola. And Battier is a hell of a player compare to Peja. So does Paul = Tmac, Brooks and Landry?? Nope!

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Wow, that's MASSIVELY intriguing. The biggest problem I see with that trade is that we are completely mortgaging our future for a shot to win a title for 2 years. Also, from what I saw out of Peja this year, he's an absolute ZERO on both ends of the floor, and he contributes nothing when he plays. We would have no bench really, but still.....you have to be a little curious to see how it works.

PG: Paul/Lowry
    SG: Posey/Wafer (hopefully you can re-sign him)/White
    SF: Artest/Peja/Posey?
    PF: Chandler/Hayes/Dorsey?
    C: Yao/Chandler?/Hayes?

19. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I only want Chris Paul if the fans realize that CP3 takes longer to say than Chris Paul.

Love his game, hate his nickname.

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No way we trade that many pieces, even if it is Chris Paul. I just don't see us trading four rotation players.

How about get a third team involved and package Tracy, Barry, Brooks, and Landry for Paul and filler? That I could see us pursuing.