1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: Jason (Jay) Williams Would be Better than Yao if He Did Not Crash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Pun, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080310&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

2. SilentAssassin

If "if" was a fifth, we'd all get drunk.

3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

you know he's a guy with an opinion. certainly no expert. Not sure he deserves a thread for this.

4. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Obvious cry for attention, stop reading his bull****.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I was hoping no one would post this here. But alas I am disappointed.

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Simmons is my favorite sportswriter; with the rules change, he is also probably right.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If Yao puts together a healthy season next year, Simmons will flip flop back to his side.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I can't say he is right, but I can't say he is wrong either. It just as hard to make an argument for a guy that ruined a very promising career because he wanted to ride a crotch rocket as it is to make the argument for a guy that has only played in more than 57 games 3 out of his 6 years in the league.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

simmons is a great writer but he got tired a long time of ago. he's still writing about the yao draft for christsakes, dude, its 2008.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This is so silly!

In 2002, the rockets had Francis and Mobley. Even they didn't pick up Yao, they wouldn't select Williams either. The rockets needed a big man, and Yao was the one.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

looks like somebody has a case of Duke Affinity Disorder Affliction (DaDa) - a common occurrence.

Unfortunately, many of the people that cause this disorder get to the NBA and suffer from DUD - Duke Underachiever Disease..

Should also state that his argument is incredibly flat. He had one good game against the "Nets - so?? Eddie Griffin tore the lakers a new one in one game as a rookie - that didn't exactly translate. William posted a very-unimpressive 12.2 PER as a rookie. That doesn't prevent him from having ever been good, but that doesn't portend greatness either. FInally the "after the hand check rules" thing is totally silly. Shouldn't the same thing have happened to Rafer Alston, Earl Boykins, and every other quick point guard on the planet, many of whom were much faster than Williams?

#11 SamFisher, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

But you weren't, Bill. That's the point.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Jay Williams never showed that he could be a superstar IMO. He was an Andre Miller tier PG at best. Some people give these super high ceilings of potential to anyone and everyone. And Duke PGs don't become superstars, its a rule.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

not only that, I just don't see how anyone who really watched jay williams in college can make an argument that this guy was going to be great. he's a 6'0" shooting guard who although quick was no where near iverson's level of athletcism. if you're going to be a great player at six feet playing shooting guard, that's how good you have to be. and quite frankly i don't even think he was as good a passer as iverson. he wasn't going to be chris paul.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

"No doubt!"

Sincerely,

[​IMG]

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

IF IF IF Kwame's moms hadn't dropped him on his head when he was a kid and lowered his IQ by 75 points then maybe he could've been the best #1 draft pick of all time, too......WTF is your point Bill?

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

him alone getting on that bike shows his life IQ, his basketball IQ maybe sky high, but if your contract says not to ride a bike and its the freaking first contract your signing to get you millions for the rest of your life, give up the bike, plain and simple...

Simmons is a moron, just like the rest of the national media..... :rolleyes:

18. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

What if I was rich, smart, attractive and funny....

:D

19. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

Actually i liked Jason until he came out and was like "I dont want to be confused with the other Jason/Jayson Williams's i want to be called Jay Williams"... once that happened i knew something was going to happen if your mammy didnt name you Jay as a young suckling then why in the hell change your name??? not to mention he wasnt that consistent a shooter he was lighting fast and had above average handles but i dont think he would have made that big a difference imho.

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. Anyone who watched Jay Williams knows that his achilles heel was his lack of athleticism. He wasn't quick enough to be an elite perimeter player, and not big enough to fit the Deron Williams mold. His upside was Andre Miller and that's being generous. Bill's use one of statistical explosion against the Nets is pretty weak defense of his argument - I could pull up a huge game from any bust in NBA history.

Except that your argument against Yao was never in regards to injury concerns, it was that you said he flat out sucked as a basketball player, Bill. Pretty easy to go revisionist on us now that the only thing hampering Yao's career up to this point has been his injury problems.