1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Bill Simmons: "Houston has a top 3 worst crowd"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Is Simmons right?

1. Yes

387 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Media conspiracy

24 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

That doesn't account for people that are streaming off sites on reddit and other sites. I lived in Cleveland for 4 years and streamed at least 60-65% of the games. I had no interest in paying for NBA LeaguePass and i'm sure i'm not the only one. In addition to those, there are others that are also cable cutting cuz there other ways to watch.

Crashlanded19, Htown Stros and sammy like this.
  2. mario_v

mario_v Member

I remember game 6. Biggest game of the season and the arena was half empty. It was quiet from the start and it felt like I was watching a preseason game.

I blame the fans for that loss. Players feed off the fans energy and that crowd was just dead.

Drogba, RyanB and Reeko like this.
  3. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I think there's a lot of truth to this. A lot of people really don't believe Harden can get it done and there's a few who don't like the team for other scattered reasons, some relating to Harden, some not.

I think if the Rockets were to win a title it would change to an extent, but that clip above showed a quiet crowd in a Finals-clinching game after we had already won a title the year before.

I dunno, its weird - most of the people I know are Rockets fans, but it still seems most people in Houston get more hyped to go to Texans games. Its really hard to explain.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dumb crowd as well.

You are supposed to stay quiet when your team is shooting free throws especially in crunch time.

MVP MVP MVP...

lol....

5. mario_v

mario_v Member

They used to do same thing in football. They’d get loud when the Texans offense was on the field, when you’re supposed to be quiet.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

TC was like 30-40% full at tip to start that game...it was so embarrassing that Mike Breen pointed out how empty it was

macho GRANDE, RyanB and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

it would help if DISH started carrying Rockets games

I’ve had to rely on streaming in order to watch any Rockets game that’s not on national TV for the entire Harden era

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

They will never be on time. No matter the day / time. Unless it’s a playoff game.... ppl will arrive for the t shirts.

Reeko likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

the Rockets just don’t get the type of love that they should in this city

I go to HEB on a Sunday, and I see multiple people rocking Texans gear...Texans bumper stickers everywhere...people even show up to the gym to workout with a Texans jersey on

The Rockets? I don’t see a damn thing

waytookrzy079 and RasaqBoi like this.
  10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I think part of it comes from the fact that Houston suffers from some of the same problems that Atlanta does, and even Phoenix and central and northern Florida, albeit not as drastic.

Many of the people living around here came from up north/west coast because jerbs and cost of living, and they took their fan affiliations with them. There are quite a few Boston fans around here because either they or their parents moved here, some story with many yankee fans or laker fans. Transplant fanbases tend to lessen the impact a local team can make relative to its population.

Even then, success breeds a strong bandwagon following, many people only started watching the Astros when they made the postseason (don't blame them, Playoff Baseball >>>>>>> Any other Playoffs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MLB regular season). Many of them will grow to become full time fans of the team. Off topic, but I don't think you should be angry if farewether/bandwagon fans assemble now that your team is good. I think you should take the opportunity to go crowd surfing.

11. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Houston is a bit strange, whereas many cities ride on one historically successful organization and don't pay attention to their doormats (see: Dallas-Fort Worth and Los Angeles.) The city in general seems to gravitate to the historically inept football team, instead of the consistently competent basketball team. I know that as of late, i've been seeing far more Astros gear in public now, but how long is that going to last?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it echo other posters, it's really sad that we have the best record in the league (even beating the all-time warriors) and we still have loads of empty seats in the lower bowl.

RyanB likes this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

dont agree. neilisen numbers are really poor metric for engagement for live sports on a regional sports network. Accessibility is considered. I would think crowd size is a better indicator.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

It’s so backwards here. The Texans can be garbage, but get supported like they’re contenders. The Rockets can be contenders or very good, but get supported like they’re garbage.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nba viewership is up. No way less people are watching the rockets this season compared to last.

Little Bit, heypartner and Classic like this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i stream most of the games.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have no clue what you are talking about

18. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

NBA Viewership is up because the Lakers and Kincks were only mediocre instead of complete garbage.

19. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

As long as the Astros keep winning/making the playoffs at a bare minimum it’ll continue. Let’s face it, as good as the Rockets have been no one has truly believed they could win a championship in the past 15+ years. If they knock off GS this year the city will start gravitating towards the Rockets and the Astros and away from the Texans should they continue to be mediocre.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Where did you see that? I am kind of surprised.

In general Houston is a bad sports city except for football.

21. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ugly Logo.Ugly font.
    Too much marketing toward fans and corporate sponsors in China.

Before the uniform changes , people proudly wore the red and yellow

Entropy likes this.