1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons] Breaking down the NBA trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Feb 25, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

[rquoter]TRADING WITH CHRIS WALLACE: A-plus-plus-plus

Has anyone ever said the words, "I wish I hadn't made that trade with Chris Wallace?"

The latest beneficiary: Houston's Daryl Morey, who flipped 25 games of Shane Battier (a free agent to be) into Hasheem Thabeet and a protected first-round pick. Naysayers would argue that Thabeet is a stiff -- partly because he's been a total stiff, and partly because he's been a total stiff. But Raymond Felton, Michael Beasley, Channing Frye, Tyson Chandler, Mike Miller, Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson, Lamar Odom, Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups and Antonio Daniels were all top-10 picks who struggled with their first teams and blossomed somewhere else. You should always bet on pedigree if the price is low. Sure, I'd probably bet on Thabeet being on the receiving end of Blake Griffin's greatest dunk over having a worthwhile career with the Rockets. But you never know. And if you're not giving up anything, then why not?

(Important note: The previous paragraph represents my best possible attempt to defend the fact that my friend Daryl traded a quality player for a package headlined by Hasheem Thabeet. Put it this way: Until yesterday, he's called me within 12 hours of any trade he's ever done. Not this time. Which bummed me out because I was excited to congratulate him for beefing up his D-League team. And if Thabeet ends up turning his career around? Daryl will just e-mail me this paragraph 700 times per day. Either way, I'm excited that Thabeet just became a much more prominent part of my life. I can't lose. Back to the column.)

As for Wallace, he deserves credit for protecting Memphis' playoff spot with Rudy Gay injured. The Grizzlies have been a sneaky-good League Pass team for over a month now (13-4 in their past 17 games), and if they faced the Lakers in Round 1 as a 7-seed, that's a fascinating series: Gasol versus Gasol, Battier and Tony Allen versus Kobe, Chris Wallace versus Mitch Kupchak (three years after the Gasol hijacking), Z-Bo taking it to everybody, the emotional return of O.J. Mayo to USC territory after he destroyed sports there, maybe even Chuck Noland coming back for the game and getting an ovation between quarters. Remember we had this moment, Lakers fans: There might be a time in Round 1 when you're swearing at the TV and saying, "Really, Chris Wallace???? REALLY? You trade the No. 2 pick in the 2009 draft and a future No. 1 to rent Battier for four months AND THIS #$@%@&@& WORKED?!?!?!?!?!?!?" [/rquoter]

Part1: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110225/part1&sportCat=nba
    Part2: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110225/part2&sportCat=nba

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Bill Simmons speaks the truth.

3. dschwab

dschwab Contributing Member

[Bill Simmons] On the Rockets-Grizzlies trade

TRADING WITH CHRIS WALLACE: A-plus-plus-plus

Simmons, 1/25/10, http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110225/part1&sportCat=nba

4. jvu

jvu Member

Good post. My moral has shifted north. :)

5. dschwab

dschwab Contributing Member

Sorry for the re-post.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's putting the best possible spin on it, which Simmons pretty much admits he's doing.

The way I look at it: its not a trade that hurts us, but its not a trade that makes us significantly better either. We are treading water. My disappointment isn't specifically the trade, but that we did not put ourselves in a better position to make a bigger move.

7. gah

gah Member

And here is the most fitting motivation:

8. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I do agree that I would have wanted a much bigger "splash" but we just did not have the pieces to make the "big deal"

Draft picks are nice but the young players that went in the Melo deal and the Deron Williams deal were more highly ranked and talked about then any on our roster. We have good players but not players that other teams just absolutely value.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Team chemistry is one hell of an X-factor. Now that these guys have only themselves to depend on I expect us to end the season comfortably over the .500 mark whether they make the playoffs of not. My enthusiam exists within watching these players be in control their own destiny, there are no more deadlines or trade rumors to cloud their perspective.

They don't have the talent, let's see if they have the heart.

1 person likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed. What we got is completely unknown at this point, so you cant say we got over. the only thing that is known is that it is impossible for the trade to hurt us because battier is a FA. We are not going to be worse off, not matter what.

Agreed that the upsetting thing was the anti-climactic/ impact-playerless deadline for Houston.