1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons Absolutely Hates Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Aug 10, 2020.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's definitely a misrepresentation and, yeah, I think you could fairly call that "hating". Though, in sports talk, I think it's not uncommon for people to make hyperbolic statements when expressing disgust. There are levels to being a hater, right?

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would love to just believe you for your word. But as I stated earlier as someone who pretty much listens to every BS or RR podcast that has basketball discussion I don’t think what you are saying is exactly accurate.

If you can direct me to a few podcasts where he says that every 3 point attempt Harden takes he kicks his legs and falls down it might sway me. As a regular listener I can say with extreme confidence it isn’t a take he has said “multiple” times.

Again I’m not denying things I know I have heard him say. He hates watching him. He hates watching Houston. He doesn’t want us to succeed.

But nearly every time the topic is brought up he makes the disclaimer that regardless of his feeling there is no denying Harden’s greatness or how effective our 3 point barrage offense is.

Hell if I’m not mistaken one of the somewhat recent times he got to talking about Houston on his podcast he said something along the lines of Houston and Harden probably don’t get the credit they deserve in being the 1 true challenger to the Warriors dynasty.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I also don't think Harden gets enough credit for 2016-2017 season. We were projected to finish 6-7 by everyone after Dwight left and picked up zero high key FA.

I remember the media graded our offseason a "C" or something. And then we ended up with 55 wins with Eric Gordon as our second best player. The offense was all Harden and he got his MVP stolen by some stupid narrative.

We are to hung up on the last Spurs game, but I think we overachieved so much that season and got no credit.

Patience, topfive and D-rock like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo.

I've said so many times before, Harden gets crap because of key moments in playoff times that instead of killing it, he instead had an inexplicable bad game, bad turnover, bad whatever. No one has forgotten Harden's 13 turnover game against the Warriors, nor have they forgotten that he sat on the bench during the epic game 6 come back against the Clippers, or the time a geriatric Manu Ginobili blocked his shot or his terrible game 6 against an injured Spurs team.

Those are moments that Harden is not forgiven for, it's what individuals and casual fans cling on to. It's what remembered.

The majority of us in Clutchfans know of Harden's greatness, we've watched him for so many years and are well aware of the great games he has had and the load he has had to carry. The media nor the casual fan does not really give a crap about this, they are more driven by "the moment". Sure, Lillard has had many lowlights in his playoff career, but people remember the game winning shots against the Rockets or against the Thunder. It's unfair, it's stupid, but that's what people remember and somehow they judge an individual based on this.

And yes, I understand that role players in the past have hit key shots and that doesn't mean they are judged on a different level, my point is that this only applies to superstars. Look at Dirk, he was viewed as a choker until he finally won a championship.

Lillard, he's having a good moment, had a good scoring stretch to get his team in the playoffs and he is currently the flavor of the month.

5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Sure, but I don't think the point was that he's the BIGGEST Harden hater, but he's still a hater nonetheless....
    I've been a Russ "hater" in the past and even now from time to time, but I have no problem giving him credit and mentioning the things he does well.... Other Russ haters do this to... Was I the BIGGEST Russ hater? Nope not even close... That's probably Colin Cowherd... who has also given Russ credit and "praise" for certain things... Yet makes many misrepresentations mixed in with some true criticisms.

D-rock and durvasa like this.
  6. durvasa

Fair enough.

Air Canada and D-rock like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't fall for TV shows. They need topics to talk about and nobody is going to be Clyde Drexler and everybody is great blah blah
    nobody will watch that show

except for some people here who just want to think the Rockets are better than Halle Berry and Kate Upton at once all the time

The singular most important thing is that people are TALKING ABOUT THE ROCKETS.

Remember the Kevin Martin era EVER BEING DISCUSSED?
    @Os Trigonum @YOLO
    @Reeko

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t watch these talk shows, but I have no issue with people calling out their ignorance

people in the media don’t have to be praising the Rockets or Harden at all times...all I ask is that if you’re going to be critical, at least come with facts, logic, sound reasoning, etc...don’t come with fake news, lies, and casual fan talking points

like, if you’re still saying Harden doesn’t play defense for example, just stfu and update your brain to 2020

if your analysis for why the Rockets didn’t win game 5 against GS last year is that Harden didn’t shoot enough in the 4th even tho we were scoring almost every time down, but couldn’t get stops or key defensive boards, just stfu

don’t talk about Harden traveling when u still don’t know what a gather step is

that’s where I’m at with the media...facts and logic whether it’s praise or criticism and I’m good

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Stephen A Smith's job is not being right or wrong
    His job is to get viewers, same as the news or disney movie or p*rn websites
    @Jontro

because he gets viewers and people keep discussing what he says, he gets more viewers
    the more viewers = more advertising

right now, Steven A Smith makes $10 million dollars a year

Clutchfans is a great measurement to see if he's earning his money.
    He is. He's very good at what he does.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

RR on his podcast today: All paraphrasing but pretty much what he said.

Talking about guys who bring it every night as opposed to guys like Paul George or Butler, who are guys you aren’t surprised when they go off but also aren’t surprised when they are a zero.

There are 5-6 players that truly change who you are as a franchise and can be counted on to bring it every night...

Lebron
    Kawhi
    Giannis
    Not ready to go there with Luka but I’m getting close
    Harden
    Curry and I think I would probably get some pushback on Curry now.
    Durant

I would argue a true hater would make it a point to leave Harden off that exclusive list.

durvasa likes this.
  11. durvasa

Yeah. It's stuff like this that I was referring to when I said I think its "overblown" to refer to him as a Harden hater. He's not a fan, by any means, and maybe he makes some petty remarks about him from time to time, but he doesn't (from what I've heard) allow that to totally skew his assessment of Harden's game.

tinman and jordnnnn like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not all haters are morons.

It would be moronic to leave Harden off that list.

Just like it was moronic to leave Harden off MVP list and All Star 1st Team.

Haters hate all the time, they are morons only some of the time. You just have to be conscious of the dog whistle terminology.

Reeko likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

It's overblown to say anyone who gets paid to talk is a Harden hater.
    They love Harden, because he's a great topic.

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Bruh I'm a big Bill Simmons fan and have read his book and listened to his podcasts going back to the BS Report for over a decade lol.... Ryen has said both of those things multiple times... I'd have to back go and find it, but in just the last 2 pods he's mentioned how Harden just kicks his foot out and the whole thing... @35:20.

Ryen and SVP have shitted on Harden in the past saying he's basically running the option on the stepback and it's a travel and we're not saying he's not a great player.... We think Harden is a great offensive player, but being so good he also shouldn't be allowed to just travel.

Remember how Klay undercut and clearly went under Harden and stepped right under his feet on multiple 3s in Game 1 of the semis last year and not a single was called? "For Harden to sit there after Game 1 and say 'I just want a fair chance,' that's like (Derek) Jeter saying 'I hope I meet someone' when he was with the Yankees," Russillo said.

He's a hater bruh... Does he give him credit for some true things? Yes, but he's still a hater.

harold bingo, Reeko, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The game just started so I will have to come back to it.

But your very first piece of evidence at the 35:20 mark was RR admitting that there should be a hashtag for NBA players called #wehavenochoice.

He is literally complimenting how Harden is unguardable and the league has no other choice but to foul him.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Correct.

I believe 99% of people that talk about the NBA online, don’t watch until the playoffs, and probably don’t start watching until the 2nd round...and only during the 4th quarters.

17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

That wasn't a compliment... And how about you say what he said... He said they have no choice because Harden kicks his legs out.

D-rock likes this.
  18. durvasa

I don't necessarily see that as a dig either, though. I mean, Harden does kind of "kick his leg out". One could argue whether this is tactical on his part, or simply his normal shooting motion. I feel like Harden just shoots contested shots so much that it's become almost reflexive for him to do this as a hedge against missing the shot. Maybe Harden does it more than other players, because he just shoots more contested shots than other players, but he's definitely not the only one who does it. Reggie Miller famously did the leg kick out thing decades ago, but no one ever seems to bring that up while they are trashing Harden.

Harden just has this style of play where defenders really are left scratching their head on how to guard him. I'm sure it must be frustrating as hell for opposing players and their fans. But you know what? **** em!

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Another cheap assist.

All 9 do not count tonight. Too cheap.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dog whistle terminology.