1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons Absolutely Hates Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Aug 10, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Leading a team too 2 WCF's over a 8 year span?

Patience likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That wasn’t my argument. The argument was that Lillard is given a pass for his disappointing showings because of the handful of spectacular moments, including two series winners. Harden has not done this. You can disagree with how much people weight those moments in assessing a player’s career, but that’s how it is and there’s no double standards with it when it comes to Lillard and Harden.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Simmons does not hate Harden but he definitely put his foot in mouth because of his love on Doncic.

I Can't believe he brought it up on another broadcast and that shows that he knows he effed up but it also shows he has twitter ears, There are a lot of people jealous of Simmons and what he has become as a media mogul so they were ready to come for him.

He should have just owned up and said my bad which he has done plenty, I still have not heard the exact thing so I don't even know if he was serious.

5. durvasa

I’m not disputing that they were successful seasons, on the whole. But this started with discussing great and memorable playoff moments, and that’s what I was expecting for you to provide for Harden.

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I understand "people" remember those spectacular moments more, but educated basketball fans should understand that Harden has had a much more successful playoff career than Lillard so far.

Was Harden's 4-1 defeat of the Thunder in the 2017 first round less legitimate than Lillard's 4-1 defeat of the Thunder in 2019, simply because Lillard hit a circus shot to win the last game? Maybe it was more memorable in the popular psyche, but in actual basketball terms, it was the same thing.

7. Patience

So, by "memorable playoff moments" you are talking exclusively about buzzer beating shots? Just not clear on the criteria here. Harden has had plenty of big games in his playoff career.

8. durvasa

Yes, if you don’t attach any significance to a player being able to deliver in a high pressure moment versus folding. If “being clutch” isn’t really a thing, then your way of looking at it makes total sense.

But it is an ironic position to hold, for a poster on a site called “Clutchfans”.

9. durvasa

It could be a great game at a critical juncture in the playoffs. Anything that would standout in a sports fan’s memory. Perhaps you have a better memory than me, but I can’t recall too many of those for Harden.

10. Patience

My point was that the "high-pressure moments" that Lillard delivered in were in the first round. Harden has not "folded" in the first round, he has dominated in the first round. Lillard's greatest playoff achievement was a game winning shot to defeat the Thunder in the first round? Harden beat the Thunder in the first round in 2017, and it doesn't even warrant a mention. It is expected, because he is a great player.

Has Harden come up short at the end of series against top competition in later rounds? Obviously, otherwise he would have won a championship already. But Lillard hasn't really tasted that kind of pressure, except last year when he got swept.

11. durvasa

Good points.

12. Patience

By the way @durvasa , in case it isn't obvious, I am enjoying debating with you. I may disagree with your take on Harden, but I respect anyone who is willing to have an intelligent, reasoned discussion without devolving into personal insults. It is rare these days.

durvasa and Air Canada like this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I said nothing about being handsome, articulate, troll, fair minded, Utah dweller, or an illegal immigrant.

I was just talking about....

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

No... I'd more describe it as a personal dislike for the player that leads to misrepresentations of aspects in their game and as I said hyperbolic haterade... Is Skip Bayless a Lebron hater? Is Max Kellerman a Harden hater? Yes... Do you agree?... So is Russillo.

Probably game 7 vs Clippers and OKC vs Houston in 2017.... Although he has numerous great playoff performances.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What about game 5 of that series, an elimination game?

Air Canada and Patience like this.
  17. durvasa

Your definition works for me. I just don’t agree that Russillo misrepresents Harden’s game due to a personal dislike, at least from what I’ve heard from him.

18. riko

riko Member

Or the game 7 when harden shredded the clippers in blue on against the clippers. It doesn’t fit the narrative so it’s ignored

Richie_Rich, BMoney and jiggyfly like this.
  19. durvasa

Yeah, you’re right. I forgot the game 5 win. That was a strong performance.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Or how about the close out game 7.

Its amazing how nobody talks about games 5&7 only game 6.

Richie_Rich likes this.