1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons] 4th Quarter Diary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drowsy11, May 5, 2009.

1. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

2. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

Some real gems in there. For example:

"10:28: Yao pulls a Parish-like drop step on Gasol, then gets fouled on the attempted dunk and hits both freebies. Meanwhile, Doug Collins reports that the constant chatter between Wafer and Vujacic is escalating. Don't get my hopes up that someone might punch Sasha in the face, Doug. That's just not fair."

"2:53: Houston leaves Ariza AND Fisher open to defend a two-man game with Odom and Kobe. Kobe throws it out to Fisher in the corner ... brick. Houston gets the rebound. Dating back to Game 74 of the regular season, Fisher has missed 33 of his last 40 3-pointers. For the Lakers to win this series, Houston has made it clear that either Ariza, Fisher, Walton or Vujacic must nail 3s or Kobe is going to have to go old-school Kobe and beat everyone one-on-three. Smart. I like it." -- Like I've said before, since when did the Fakers' role players become super stars? King Kong doesn't have nothing on our guys.

3. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

I think alot of people were like Simmons last night - watching the game and gaining alot of respect for Yao with his Tru Warier moment

4. Lugz504

Lugz504 Member

Some of my favorites from the article:

6:00: Bad 20-footer by Kobe over Artest. That's followed by Brooks torching Fisher and slicing through the middle undeterred for a pretty layup. I love that Brooks went so late in the 2007 draft. So wait, when you score a ton of points in college, shoot a high percentage and get your shot any time you want, that might translate to success in the NBA? Are we sure? Rockets by eight.

4:59: Kobe smacks knees with Yao on a drive. Yao goes down in a heap. Gasol gets a dunk. Yao stays down in a heap, wincing and holding his knee. Crap. Crap. Crap.

4:59: Coming back from commercial, we see Yao limping off in the tunnel surrounded by trainers and concerned Houston GM Daryl "Stop Calling Me Dork Elvis" Morey. Lots of face time for Daryl. He's wearing a snazzy brown sportscoat, a blue sweater and looks like he just paid between $100 and $150 for his haircut. Maybe even $175. And they definitely shampooed him before and after the cut. This is exciting. Now Yao is limping back to the floor! How do you say "Time for a Willis Reed comeback!" in Chinese? How many Chinese characters would that take?

4:33: Turnover by Houston. Ugh. Bad possession. Meanwhile, Sager is reporting that a previously "tearful" Yao has now demanded back into the game. Cut to Yao standing at the scorer's table with an "I'm gonna kick everyone's butt" face. Yao Ming! Who knew? I think I'm officially a fan. Make room for me on the 2 billion-plus Yao Ming bandwagon please. Just give me a spot near the way way way way way way way way back.

5. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

I loved how he points out that Sasha flopped his a$$ off on that play against Wafer.

One of the first times I have ever read a national columnist call out a flopper.

Its like the fat girl girl you were with one time, you know it happened, but rarely does anyone ever bring it up.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he adds the bolded part, its from the end of al pacino's awesome speech at the end of "any given sunday". I don't understand why people don't like the movie but its awesome that he dropped that at the end of adleman's speech

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks .. I had no idea what he was talking about there. Fun read as usual from Simmons. It looks like he's rooting for the Rockets.

8. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

lol this article is excellent, nice post

9. guangzu

guangzu Member

just finished the reading on the article, pretty funny, pretty good writing!

10. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

2:35: Yao misses a fallaway, Kobe tips the rebound out of bounds, then Artest takes advantage by nailing a leaner over Ariza. Rockets by eight. That's followed by another 3-point brick from Ariza (wide open) and Yao grabbing the rebound. It looks like the Rockets will improve to 1-0 in playoff games played at a neutral site.

(Wait, this game is being played in front of Lakers fans who are supposed to be cheering their team and affecting the game? Are we sure?)

Liked that bit.

11. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

Yeah, I was shocked how terrible the Staples crowd was yesterday. in fairness to them i have never heard them that bad before, but it was bad, even when they were making shots at the end (last minute or so)

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ROFL. This is great

13. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

haha simmons takes every opportunity to kiss morey's ass, but i love it!

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Thanks for mentioning. I actually like that movie a lot.

I'll also share what I liked:
    I think he's spot on.

Kobe fans, are, indeed, precious.

Simmons is great for a funny read, and he delivered.

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

while simmons usually has any good basketball insight of any sorts he is good for a nice laugh and read thats for sure.

staples crowds are always like that plus i dont link the darkening of the lights there for games its supposed to put more attention on the court but i think it takes a lot of of the fans in terms of being seen and wanting to be heard. i mean in a dark place are you going to be screaming and cheering for your team instead of a well lit place? all sports are played under lights and all.

whatever anything to mitigate any "home court" advantage the lakers may have is fine by me

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Some of you younguns probably don't understand Simmons hatred for the Lakers. Let me just say this, he is one of those old school Celtic fans. To him, an embarrassment or upset of the Lakers is comparable to a disappointment and choking of the New York Yankees. Boston fans are usually in utter glee when those things happen.

17. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

This part really made me laugh :D

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm glad you explained this. I never saw that film and so, to me, it just looked like some sort of homosexual reference. I was like "Why is he saying our dudes like to have penis in their face?". hahaha.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

gosh i hope someone punches sasha in the face when the series is over or something. dude is freakin' annoying.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

like how he mentioned the Willis Reed comparison, the Marv albert call of it, and I think he alluded to it again when he mentioned that Yao's first shot was a 20 footer (Willis's first one was an elbow-jumper I think)