1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Simmons: “In the whisper circles, everybody seems to think he’s going back to Houston.”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 6, 2023.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Role players exist to support stars, so who would they be supporting?

mario_v likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If in the small likelyhood we draft Scoot and get Harden, KPJ is going to be traded for another vet piece.

Nook and MadMax like this.
  3. PWR

PWR Member

Smh. Last year, i said we should do whatever it took to try to get Jalen Brunson. We screwed that up.

This year, the answer is obvious once again. Trade for Tyus Jones. Another backup PG that shines whenever he gets to run the show. He's averaging 19 ppg and 8 apg whenever Morant is out. Dropped 25 points and 12 assists just yesterday. Signing an old dude that already quit on you would be dumb and setting a horrible example just like giving KPJ $85 mil after he quit. Get the young stud with no ego. Do whatever it takes.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be a much better idea to trade Green for a vet piece. He's the inferior player and you might still be able to sucker someone into thinking he's worth a damn based on draft position.

Keep the guy who can actually shoot and isn't an abomination defensively.

I know you are his biggest apologist, but even you have to realize that he's the one that wouldn't fit.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

If we miss out on Wemby, i wouldn't really call it "win now mode" because we sign Harden. If he still comes without Wemby, i think he's just looking to settle down on his last contract and just chill at home and help the young guys grow otherwise he would stay in Philly to keep contending.

And i think you're underestimating Scoot. Harden and CP3 worked really well for a multitude of reasons, not just 3 pt shooting pg. Scoot has that mid range game like CP already. Scoot goes #1 the last 2 drafts, possibly 2020 also.

PatBev likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm down with patience myself and a signing like this would be nice, if they get Wemby, and or miss on Wemby and Scoot and get Miller. It's the majority of the board that doesn't understand the process and has been spoiled through winning years. Steady wins the race though impatience runs it faster.

PWR likes this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

On Sixers - The only reason they wouldn't be wanting to resign him is if Embiid said it's me or him.... or Harden has such a dud of a postseason that he takes so much heat from the fanbase, media, etc. that ownership caves and over rules Morey to demand a lower contract to save face. Even if he has a stinker of a postseason, the Sixers will still technically want him back for what he brings in the regular season. That alone has value even if you sign him, and then just bench him in the playoffs.

And I don't see any reason why Embiid would want Harden gone unless they just don't get along behind the scenes. Harden has been very good for Embiid at least in the regular season. Take a ton of usage off his shoulders, and allows him to play less regular season games & heavy minutes.

On BS Reports - I actually feel like Harden's camp in the past has been very tight lipped and relatively close to home. Family and close friends probably are the only ones to know anything. What I think is happening is people have found out through the grapevine that something in his personal life has happened (I guess you've heard this too) and everyone just assumes that he has to be close to home for this personal matter. But based on Harden's past with playing things, I think he's a difficult person to read, and is quite private about this stuff.

So basically, Bill Simmons really doesn't know what Harden is doing, and given you are in Houston, you probably know more than he does about what's happening in his personal life to make the guess that he'd want to come back to be here more often.

My guess right now would be that Harden resigns in Philly, but I don't think any of us know what's going on really in his personal life, and we also don't know how he will play in the postseason. If he plays that bad again, I think all bets are off.

And if he plays that bad, why would Rockets fans then be thrilled about paying the max for him at this point? I sure wouldn't. I would want a James Harden who is here to help be a veteran leader looking to elevate the play of the next generation of Rockets.... sadly I don't think we'll get that if we get a James Harden just embarrassed himself in the playoffs, and I don't think we'll sniff a chance to sign him if he has a great postseason run. I think it'll be next to impossible to get him when everyone in Philly will want to run it back.

Nook likes this.
  8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

cool. recycled news.

fun.

come back harden or don’t. IDGAF

BUT If he does come back, the short term path to not sucking looks good.

BamBam likes this.
  9. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

If Harden is coming back to us playing like lately (being a pas 1st playmaker who can take over for stretches), We are in a great spot.
    Adding a 22/10 vet playmaker to our current team would do wonders, and you can't get a better one than Harden this summer.

For all of his shortcomings and labels, he wouldn't get this far by not being a hard worker and a pro. Our guys need to see first hand what it's like to play on that level. And IMO every single one would benefit greatly by playing with Harden.

But if his intentions are to come back here and then push to get his aging buddies by trading all the youngsters, I would pass. Personally I don't think that's the case. I think he realises that his chance for the title as the guy has passed, and he would like to play out his career in the place he achieved the most and feels most comfortable.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Because he's two old and his contract will be kind of bad towards the bad end. We'd literally be playing for nothing.

Well sign some other vets. This was always going to be a long experiment, expiding the process signing Harden to a deal when better ones could become available isnt the smart move. He cannot carry a team anymore. We do no have good enough players to support him either.

Just because we have money to spend doesnt mean that we should. You guys wanting to use it just because we can is crazy.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Please, God, no.

We're rebuilding? What's the point of getting an aging all-time ball-hog on the team?

Hopefully it's bullshit and just a...

12. HP3

HP3 Member

We have so many holes on this team, Harden at this age does not plug all of them, namely the horrid defense and shooting. Unless he plans on bringing people with him or we make trades, then its a no go. You likely have to trade Sengun as well as he is a terrible fit with Harden. Tari is not going to be sitting on the bench for long, he's too good. Tyty.....I like him but, I'm willing to sacrifice his playing time for the bigger picture.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Is that where we are at? If that's the case this organization is never winning a championship. And maybe we should be resigned to that fact the second Tillman bought this team.

harold bingo likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Is it a requirement to spend this money? I'm not a cap guy.

Edit: Jalen Green I guess lol...hopefully Wemby or Scoot.

#74 HP3, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

Why would Sengun be gone? Wemby has already said he does not want to play center. He is a taller Durant with better defense. He would be the perfect player to play with Sengun. People think just because he is extremely tall he is a center.

As for the Harden deal, it would be great for the first half of his contract it is the second half of the contract I would worry about if he declines very much since that would likely be the time frame we would be ready to potentially compete.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Every team wants to make money. At some point you have to start trying to be better.

17. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

With morants issues cant see Memphis trading him

PWR and Xopher like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Fine, but why do it this way? No one really benefits from this reunion, its just a placeholder because people are afraid we will lose our picks.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In his return, albeit tanking Spurs, Rox squad looks a lot closer to a professional outfit than before his departure. With the caveat that he is not, in fact, tainting the ‘locker room’ I want him as a Rocket going forward. Perhaps a point forward?

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. The Rockets would benefit massively from Harden's return, particularly this current-Harden who is towards the top of the NBA in assists. I mean, turnarounds can happen quickly once you get the right pieces. Look at the Knicks this season -- they already have more wins than last season. There are a ton of examples throughout history. The 2003 Nuggets added Melo and went from 17 wins to 43. The 1997 Spurs added Duncan and went from 20 wins to 56. It happens.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.