1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Reilly Surprised That Blacks Are Not Crazy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Sep 26, 2007.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The opening sentences of the article are:
    "NEW YORK — After eating dinner at a famed Harlem restaurant recently, Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly told a radio audience he "couldn't get over the fact" that there was no difference between the black-run Sylvia's and other restaurants.

"It was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun," he said. "And there wasn't any kind of craziness at all.""

Doesn't that imply he was expecting "craziness"?

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That isn't even PC. It is just recognizing the history of bigotry.

People went after Bill because he had the stereotype.

The fact is that whites are called uptight aren't really affected by that. Various minority groups have been damaged by that, and the fact that the people might still have a stereotype that would negatively affect their judgement of that person based on race shows that there is damage done by stereotyping.

There is no truly beneficial to have with someone with a stereotype unless it is to dispel that stereotype. The fact that a great injustice has been done to a race of people in this country based on a stereotype is certainly reason enough to criticize those that continue to use ignorant stereotypes.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's what makes it a racist statement. Doh.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There is nothing about "hip-hop" culture that would indicate black restaurants would be crazy with people yelling MFer at wait staff.

Furthermore neither Jackson nor Sharpton preach being crazy and yelling cuss words at waitstaff of restaurants. Bill got that stereotype from somewhere else.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who said anything about yelling MFer at the wait staff? only you so far.

referencing jackson and sharpton is never a good idea since they make their living on creating more racial tension than need be. Which, by the way, neither have been that concerned with bill's statements...unless i've missed their on going protest against this. Or are they too busy defending some punks that felt the need to gang up on 1 kid that did nothing wrong...other than being born white?

amazing how the race card tends to only go one way

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Bill O'Reilly mentioned being shocked nobody was yelling "MFer get me some iced tea"

So yes it was mentioned.

I wasn't the one that brought up Jackson or Sharpton

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that a lot of people think that way doesn't necessarily make it right or factually correct. It betrays a misunderstanding of a people that is either based on racism or ignorance. Take your pick.

As for believing something is a white scene or a black scene and that whites are European misses the point that blacks have been living with Europeans for centuries in this country. Anyway why is it somehow having a meal without resorting to craziness and vulgarity European? :confused:

As for this being a sign that blacks think for themselves as opposed to what Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are trying to preach when have either of them preached that you shouldn't eat a meal in a restaurant quietly and respectfully? How is dining in a civilized fashion a sign of either white or black culture?

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

To further add I've been to restaurants in the suburbs where most of the patrons were white and have seen whites behaving badly towards waitstaff and all sorts of craziness like having kids running around and throwing food. Its a ridiculous presumption that somehow we would expect blacks at a fine dining establishment to be behaving badly while whites wouldn't. Frankly its a disservice to make that presumption to both blacks and whites.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I watched O'Reilly explain and I will give him a break in that he was address his Grandmother's irrational fear rather than his own. In that sense his statement makes more sense.

That said though I think O'Reilly doth protest too much in regard to his victimhood. He himself takes quotes out of context to bash people and has been proven wrong several times.

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

I've heard that Hill Country and R.U.B. are good too. I like Blue Smoke. It's a little trendy, but the Texas Salt and Pepper ribs are pretty good and reasonably priced.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Virgil's was my favorite when I lived there, but it still wasn't Texas bbq. Blue Smoke was good, but it was too sweet, and too expensive.

They didn't have Hill country, and RUB when I lived there so I don't know about that.

There was one place in Queens that was actually the best of all the ones I tried. I had it catered to Manhattan once on my birthday.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

His remarks display the ignorance about his own country which he writes OpEd peices about daily. Being that he has an audience of probably millions, your OPINION that his remarks are not a big deal, in MY opinion, are shortsighted.

But to each his own, right.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hey NewYorker! Can you tell us all what "ideas Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are trying to preach"?

TIA