1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien's NASCAR Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Cool article about BOB's no huddle offense he ran at Penn State. Something else to know is O'Brien was good friends with Chip Kelly. They had many meetings while he was at Brown and Kelly at New Hamshire. I don't know who got the one word play calling started but it is definitely something that has caught. After BO'B left the Patriots Bellicheck ran to Kelly asking him more about his offense.

Bill O'brien's no huddle offense NASCAR

The premise of his NASCAR offense is if an offense can consistently rush back to the line before 20 seconds elapse on the play clock, there is a decent chance that a poorly conditioned defensive lineman will be hunched over gasping for air in the fourth quarter. It can also prevent a defense from disguising its coverages and making substitutions at a high frequency.

The Nittany Lions lead the Big Ten with an average of 90.3 offensive plays in league contests, and 79.0 plays in seven games overall. They posted a high of 99 against Northwestern. In Joe Paterno's last full season, 2010, the team averaged 67.2 offensive plays.

Get ready Texans for liftoff.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I like it. Thanks for posting.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Does it turn right??

Hey-oh!

1 person likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I love it.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm all for it. I just don't want it to be the only way that we can win. I was impressed with the way that the Eagles progressed this season, but there are clearly some weaknesses to it like not being able to grind out a few first downs when you need to and/or give your defense an extended break.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Thanks for the info OMR...

I really like this style of offense. I think a great benefit is that it allows the QB to have more time to make pre snap reads. Which is what a QB like Manning is a master of.

7. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I hate to bring up Manziel again cause his name is in almost every Texans thread, but isnt this exactly what Manziel did at A&M under Sumlin?

8. Old Man Rock

Not much. I guess he would probably run the read option a bit more with Manziel. The thing is Manziel broke away from the offense quite a bit. Not because he read the defense and exploited it but because he was pressured and saw an opening to run. Sumlin understood Manziel was very effective playing that way and did not seem to have a problem with it.

In O'Brien's system, he would be required to read the defense and then either stick with the play or audible out. Even when they are not in no huddle the system requires he make quick adjustments on the line. The QB might shout out, "gun-brown right 74 hoss ducks". Where gun brown is a specific shotgun formation, 74 blocking scheme, POP is recievers instructions post and out and Ducks is the count on two because Ducks go 2 by 2. If he wanted it on three he might say CROWN because of triple crown.

It's the QB's responsibility to read the defense and he sees a safety crowding the line looking like blitz and a corner creeping in to cover his man. He then might change POP to HOSS so that the recievers switch to a Slant and a Hitch to take advantage of the space created between the corner and the reciever. One word adjustments that can change every route on the field.

That's quite a bit different than what Manziel does now. If you watch a lot of video of Manziel and you’ll see that he always throws to his first read unless he scrambles. He just hasn't shown any real ability to read defenses. Not saying he can't learn but it's still undetermined at this stage. So much of Obrien's offense is predicated on him doing just that.

In college Manziel could get away with that quite effectively because he was so elusive and could throw on the run which made it difficult to coach against him because you never exactly what he would do. Manziel didn't know what he was going to do. With Obrien's system the quarterback knows exactly what he is going to do. If he reads the defense properly he has an exact attck on it. And he can just change words on the line to quickly audble out. Not saying Manziel can't learn it. He seems smart enough but there is also the issue of being tall enough and staying in the pocket. Wouldn't bet on Manziel being O'Briens first choice to run his system.

9. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I wasnt speaking specifically regarding the offensive gameplan, but was more thinking about the object of the offense to hurry to the line of scrimmage to keep the defense off balance. I recall A&M and Manziel doing this consistently and especially on first down. I agree with all of your points on Manziel as most of that has been discussed ad nauseum on the Manziel thread.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not that I disagree, more of a random interjection... Kolb had some of those habits in college.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

please don't turn this into qb discussion thread...

Finally a thread where we can speak of other things than A&M vs Rest of The World.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I'm with you

13. Old Man Rock

Yes but the point of his hurry up offense is to hurry up and do it right. Not just hurry up. To do that you have to have a very good grasp of reading defenses quickly and a complete understanding of his one word calling system. Not to bring up any other team but the QB better be smart.

14. Remii

Remii Member

I think you're partially right. The point of a hurry up offense (when it's not in the last 2 minutes of the quarter and or a team isn't trying to put points on the board fast) COULD BE to hurry up and get the offense to the line of scrimmage so the defense can't substitute (and if they do they can be caught offside) and so the QB has more time to read the defense before the snap.

Manning usually gets his team up to the line of scrimmage fast but he doesn't usually snap the ball fast. He'll still let the clock run down before he calls for it.

Philly was moving real fast at the beginning of the season but slowed it down to protect their defense. Also, Chip calls the plays from the sideline. They have signs that all the players can see so it's not specifically on the QB to call plays.

15. Old Man Rock

That makes sense. Watched the Eagles out of curiosity early on but not so much later.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I never saw that first Eagles game with Kelly. I remember the plays ran being something absurd.

17. Remii

Remii Member

I pay attention to several different teams and what they do. Fantasy purposes for the most part. But it's also interesting to see what other teams do compared to the Texans.

But what you are saying is still right though. The QB still has to know what everyone else has to do and all the plays. Rather the coach is calling them or not.

18. Remii

Remii Member

They destroyed Washington in the first half. It was child's play. Chip's first game was a success.

19. SevenMinuteAbs

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Thanks for posting that - especially for those of us that don't follow the college game much. I just watched this video that shows the Penn State players talking about his offense as it was being implemented. Apparently BO'B will yank your butt if you're not catching onto the plays.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/82bYXGuGEiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>