1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 1, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He does live in Dallas... but I bet he ends up being the Rams #1 or #2 target.

Then again, BOB gets vilified for going 9-7 three years in a row. Payton, with far more talent on offense, ends up going 7-9 three years in a row, with a different division winner each of those three years.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I keep flashing back to Savage's rookie year and how he led the Texans to victory against the Broncos in the preseason. He had such poise and took the air out of the entire stadium (I attended as I live in Colorado Springs). I have been wishing for him to get a chance since that day and when he did, he got hurt twice. He hangs in the pocket to the last second and then delivers the pass and that gets him hurt. It is also the mark of a QB that I appreciate (after seeing Matt and Brock collapse or panic). I just think the kid has "it"... but he hasn't proven that just yet.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Well I believe a list of coaches who have more playoff wins is appropriate if that's all that really matters.

Let's do that.

Pagano 2-1
    Belichick* 3-0, 1-1 (4-1)
    Baltimore Harbaugh 1-1
    Garrett 1-1
    McCarthy 1-1, 1-1
    RIvera 1-1, 2-1 (3-2)
    Carroll 2-1, 1-1 (3-2)
    Arians 1-1
    Reid 1-1
    Tomlin 1-1
    Kubiak* 3-0

Lewis 0-2

Zimmer, Gruden, O'Brien 0-1

2016-17 playoffs TBD

So it's Oakland? I noticed Bobby didn't have many answers to my blasting of his so I'll just direct my question towards the group....IF they beat the Raiders, should it really be considered a victory since they don't have their best player?

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I like to see BOBs offensive rankings the last couple of seasons; I hope it's not just RACs defense being so good and covering our asses. Also Chip Kelly just got fired; what would you guys think about him as a OC? Our offense is all about speed and Oz and Savage play very well in uptempo no huddle type of situations

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Both teams will be without their best players.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

We need a James harden type at QB though; that star that can do that for us. We don't have that yet

Snow Villiers likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't "have many answers" because nothing serious was being said. It was worth a bit of a laugh and that was that. You are the type of "fan" who is looking to complain no matter what happens, so it is what it is. You'll probably complain if the Texans win the Super Bowl because it'll hurt their draft position so much.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Chip Kelly or Doug Marrone.

Both are friends with O'Brien, I believe.

Godsey needs to go. That may be where the tension lies, actually.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Pagano 3-3
    Belichick**** 23-10 4 chips
    Baltimore Harbaugh* 10-5 1 chip
    Garrett 1-1
    McCarthy* 8-7 1 chip
    RIvera 3-3
    Carroll* 9-6 1 chip
    Arians 1-2
    Reid 11-11
    Tomlin* 6-5 1 chip
    Kubiak* 5-2 1 chip

Jack del Rio
    87-83, 1-2 post, 0 chips (.512 win%)

BOB
    27-21 (.574%)
    0-1

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Nah, you don't have answers because answering would make you drop the charade. I get it. It's cool.

And you don't know the first thing about me. More strawman drivel, this time cheapshots at me personally. Sticks and stones, all you've managed to turn up underneath the plaid shirt, straw hat and pipe. Nice try though.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Kelly can go back to college for more money than he would ever get as a coordinator in the NFL.

Godsey is much like Rick Dennison was with Kubiak. He's not the architect, its not "his" offense, and now that he's been stripped of play-calling duties, his in-game role is pretty minimal.

If BOB can be convinced to hire somebody else to take over the offense... and basically be in the same position that Jason Garrett currently is in Dallas... they have to explore that possibility. By all accounts, the players do like him... do play hard for him... very few locker-room disputes and decent chemistry for a team with this many egos.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kiddo, you just asked "IF they (the Texans) beat the Raiders, should it really be considered a victory since they don't have their best player?" seemingly oblivious to the fact that the Texans have been without their best player all season long. You can't ask something like that and still have any credibility. Sorry man, just how it is.

13. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I'm a grown man, drive my own cars and wear my own clothes.

Second, you blithering ninny...I'M ASKING THAT RHETORICALLY BECAUSE YOU MADE THE INJURY EXCUSE.

Talking yourself in circles. Talk about credibility, you can't even keep the same track post to post.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they don't bring in Mike McCoy to see if he can salvage Osweiler, which is so ridiculously obvious, I'll be pissed/disappointed. Too easy.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL what the hell? Why do you think any of that is relevant to your laughably awful Texans takes? I'm glad that you can put your own clothes on and chew gum while walking, but those amazing feats aren't relevant to this conversation. Have you been drinking while wearing your own clothes? If so, don't drive your own car.

16. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

God damn you have to have everything spelled out for you. I'm not a kid.

More potshots. Keep it up, at least my takes are about the Texans and btw, rooted in reality.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Both Payton and Bob are coming from offensive coaching background.

And the Saints are the No. 1 in total offense and No. 1 in passing offense this season (and they are also in the top tier of the league during the Payton era), while the Texans are No.1 in total defense while being No.29 in the offense side this year.

I think its very clear who is the better coach and who had failed his job here.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is it though?

Do offensive minded head coaches get zero credit/blame when their team posts 3 consecutive losing seasons, despite the offense doing well?

All people talk about is how a good QB is all you ever need... and yet Drew Brees just went 7-9 three years in a row.

If BOB had Drew Brees... would his offenses be as bad? Would he completely ignore the defense as Payton has apparently done?

Just saying. Lots of variables. I'm on board with a Jason Garrett like situation here.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Being a head coach of team of course will take the credit and blame on the defense side also. It is always will be part of their responsibilities.

But when the teams hired these coaches, neither the Saints or the Texans were expecting Payton or Bob will be leading the charge to raise the defense to another level, that's not the reason for their hires.

Yes the Saints do have Brees but its not like Bob was totally forced to be given Savage and Osweiler only, no matter what the rumors will be, you got to believe he should get blamed on the QB decisions and can't just said Payton's success is just being lucky.

BTW, how much better the talents on the offense side was this Saints team the last few years than the Texans? Other than Brees, Jimmy Graham was the other well known star but after he was traded to the Seahawks, the Saints did not fell out the cliff at all, and which RB and WR in the Saints for the last couple seasons you would exchange for Hopkins and Miller?

Yes, QB is the most important position, everyone gets it. But Bob did have his chance and choices, and so far nothing worked out yet.

The Texans were 9-7 the last 3 years while the Saints were 7-9 the last 3 seasons, both were mediocre and both are very similar, being on top of the league at one side of the football but also being the laughing stock on the other side in the league.

Yes, even this team will get a new head coach, it doesn't mean that's a guarantee that our offense will raise to the top tier, just like the Saints defense still sucks even after they fired Bob Ryan, yes, it will take times to right the ship.

But it is also necessary to understand our coach is not the right one at this point and a change will be the better option.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

As for the Jason Garrett comparison.

Just to be fair, before this season started, how may people or so called experts actually will have the Cowboys to win the division or even get into the playoff this year?

Nobody was expecting they will hit a jackpot in a 4th round QB.

So if the only hope for Bob to resurrect his reputation on offense will be just like a Jason Garrett situation, or like hitting the jackpot, then this franchise and the fans deserve better than this.