1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien earned his keep tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 14, 2017.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

@pgabriel is O'Brien's nephew confirmation.

roxallways, juanm34 and justtxyank like this.
  2. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

lol if watson plays like this for the next 7 or 8 games, and they keep because of the defense that will be horrible. Its obvious that O'Brien is overrated as an offensive coach

juanm34 likes this.
  3. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Brady and Rodgers are the 2 best qbs in the league

but Watson has a skillset thats favorable to Prescott and Mariota. they run spread offenses. Bill Obrien cant and wont get the best out of watson.

wont matter cause unless this offense shows improvement, o'brien will be FIRED

4. Major

Major Member

He's the one that keeps choosing the career backups as his primary guys. Fitz, Hoyer, Mallet, Savage, and possibly Osweiller were all players *he* handpicked and said he could win with. He had the option to go after a different QB any of the last 5 years if he didn't think any of these guys were good.

Mr. Clutch and justtxyank like this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have completely dismissed the QB whisper nonsense. I can coach Tom Brady.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

On Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett:

"I know what both those guys do in the building; I take a lot of pride in both those guys," O'Brien said, the intensity in his voice rising. "I know both those guys very well. I read, I understand what’s written out there. Sometimes it pisses me off to be honest with you.

"These are two guys that are good quarterbacks that have played in this league, they work very hard. They’re out here busting their ass every day to get better and I think the city of Houston should be proud of both of them. And I think the media should understand these guys can play. They gotta go out there and do it. Look, if they don’t go out there and do it they don’t do it but I have a lot of faith in those guys. One guy will start, one guy will be the backup, and I’m looking forward to continuing to coach them. I think they’re two good quarterbacks and I like both of them."

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Feels like Kubes all over again in so many ways.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean the year they had the 21st ranked offense that was worse than the year before with Fitzmagic? Yeah O'Brien picking Hoyer over Fitzy which resulted in worse results definitely showed his ability to coach offense.

That really annoyed me when the announcers mentioned he said that in their interview. He is the dumbass who picked Savage as his starter and has been saying nothing but Savage is my guy for 4 months only to have 13 pass attempts apparently completely reverse everything he had said and thought for all of that time. The same thing he did, by the way, when he chose Hoyer over Fitz and then Mallet...which lasted a half before he decided to go with the unproven younger guy (until he changed his mind when unproven younger guy sucked).

The Texans won in spite of OB. They won because of defense, the legs of Watson (and even though he clearly isn't ready in everything else, his poise is elite for his age/experience), and Cincy being incomprehensibly worse on offense despite more talent.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So now the organization has a potential franchise quarterback so they should be scoring fifty a game behind that line with a guy who just turned 22. I get it

Franchise qbs grow on trees. Just ask Cincinnati

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. baubo

baubo Member

You seem to act like the Texans even trotted out competent QBs. Matt Schuab was significantly better than any QB BOB touched. Maybe BOB should develop at least one average starter before we sing praises of him

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is soooo stupid. Dude got a lead and ran the ball cause his defence is elite

Football 1 0 freakin 1

Blocking and tackling. Even with that line

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Who was BOB supposed to get at quarterback in his first three years?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is yalls argument

It doesn't matter he maximizes what he has. He came advertised as the qb whisperer

I want just made 22 Watson to drop back 50 times cause im not having fun watching

Seriously i guess youd rather have Pardee still throwing up 30 in Buffalo because that was his rep instead of a coach that can adjust

#93 pgabriel, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Except OBie didn't wait 5 years to hire a DC.

#94 No Worries, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    TheFreak likes this.
  15. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

No kubiak is a brilliant offensive mind. He just isn't a head coach. O'brien is an overrated offensive mind. And an awful head coach

juanm34 likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Despite not having more than one healthy tight end, the Texans worked out five guys today and couldn't find one that deserved a big league deal.

We like the guys we have John. Those guys in the room are the guys we'll go to war with.

J.R. likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping they call one of those guys back before the weekend is over with.

justtxyank and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So then why did he have Watson throwing so much on their possessions mid to late 4th quarter?

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Pgabs must be rich with the salaries he's getting from the Russians in the D&D and from Obrien in this section.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Based on some comments in this thread, I find myself questioning what game I watched.