1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O' Brien fired as HC and GM by Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Oct 5, 2020.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinnati, and Jacksonville all say hello.

Isn't football a magical thing? No matter how bad your team can be hundreds of thousands still flock to support. Should Houston be thankful to have a team? I would say so. Personally I'd rather have a home town team than not but different strokes for different folks.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bad owners. Cincy has bad owners. Browns had Bad owners for YEARS. Raiders ownership is still bad. Bears ownership has not been good. I could go on...

You may not like the McNairs, there is a difference in making moves that don't work out and being bad owners. Texans spend money and try to make moves that will lead to wins. You do realize the Texans' record in the Last 10 years have been one of the best in the league? Yes, No Conference Championship appearances...however...6 division championships in 10 years is a good record. No, it is not enough. A winning record in 7 of the last 10 years. There are a number of organizations that would love to have the Texans' record over that span (Lions, anyone?).

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd rather have as team than not, but hero worshipping an owner? lol, thats laughable. And not a normal thing with any other franchise

Sounds a lot like the Bengals. Outside of Houston, the texans are grouped in with the Browns, Jags, Bengals, Raiders, etc. An amateur franchise.

The McNairs have done a good job of pissing off players, pissing off fans, and not winning anything. Sounds like bad owners to me.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans have not been the league 20 years.....made the playoff 7 times. The Bills had a playoff drought of 20 years. Come on, now.

EVERY TEAM pisses off players. Steelers? Brown and Bell. Patriots...there are NUMEROUS including Brady. Cowboys? Yeah...quite a few.

Texans have no problems getting players because they are willing to pay them. Fans will be Fans.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Even during the 2-14 seasons under Bob, I never got the feeling like I've had under these two years with Cal so far. Letting BoB run amuck for 2 seasons was inexcusable and the franchise's biggest failure by far IMO. And just when you think he might have figured out his mistakes, he's electing to keep Easterby around which shows he in fact hasn't. I know we'll have to wait and see whether Easterby is a part of this team moving forward but the fact that it isn't clear is enough to me.

Don't forget this is a grown adult who asked the General Manager of his father's pro football team to be the godfather of his child. Not having the foresight to see what would ultimately happen is a big concern. And the lack of foresight has seemed to continue into his professional decisions so far.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That's a strangely specific stat. Akins isn't the #1 TE, only playing 42% of the snaps from what footballoutsiders says. If they were gonna run, the TE whoever he was, is more likely gonna bunched in with the line rather than out as a WR. Based on his scouting report Akins is a move TE, and Fells is obviously the blocking TE. So they telegraph their play through personnel as much anything else. And for a team that doesn't run well anyways, maybe you'd want to be showing pass more often than not to spread out the defense.

csj and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. gucci888

This was just another blunder by BoB. He was acting as if he was going all in this season bringing in veteran players, yet he handed the keys over to two rookie coordinators. Moreover, neither guy really had a shot since we knew BoB was going to keep his hand on the wheel on offense and that Weaver was inheriting a $hitshow on defense.

TEXNIFICENT, vinsensual and csj like this.
  10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If they bring in Eric B who do you think he brings in for defensive coordinator?

11. gucci888

No idea. But hopefully he learned from Andy Reid when he turned to a Super Bowl caliber defensive coordinator after being one OT away from the Super Bowl. Once again highlights the difference between a real coach and BoB.

12. JVGFAN

JVGFAN Member

Raheem Morris of ATL doesn’t keep him or Marvin Lewis. Both are good DC’s and both have HC experience, which would be a plus for a new HC. He can focus on the offense and have a guy to trust with the D and maybe some other responsibilities

vinsensual and gucci888 like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Rakim

TexasRedd, IBTL, BigShasta and 5 others like this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Paid in full.

15. conquistador#11

"Don't sweat the technique" will become the new "Do your job."

BigShasta and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd venture to say that if the Texans had been in the AFC East during the Tom Brady Patriot years (Iike the Bills were) they'd have a similar playoff drought. We've been fortunate to be in a division that hasn't been good, particularly since Manning left Indy.

This franchise has systemic issues. Coaches and GMs have come and gone. The constant has been the McNairs.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, you could say that about many teams in the AFC. Come on, now. The Patriots were dominant.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Of course I could! That's not my point.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

OBrien thought he could employ a 2 TE attack like they had with Gronk and the other psycho TE I wont mention. How many 3rd rounders had been used on TEs under OBrien?? Too many.

Tendency and game theory were huge issues for the Obrien regime. Stubborn and unable to adapt or have the self awareness that their gameplans were full of tells.

20. Damion Laverne

O'Brien doesn't know offense. He should never get another job in the NFL again. Look at the Texans' rank in scoring offense:

2014 - 14th
    2015 - 21st
    2016 - 28th
    2017 - 17th
    2018 - 11th
    2019 - 14th
    2020 - 23rd (so far)

And you could argue that the offensive skill players have been better as time went on. But it's still shameful. At the end of the day, #CluelessCal has to own it.

dmoneybangbang and charlieaustin like this.