1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Nye to Debate Evolution at Creation Museum

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 1, 2014.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd venture to say he's an education denier.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon — it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory. - unknown source

Beware Nye.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd barf if nye ran a lecture circuit at colleges. The mans an entertainer.

Give that honor to someone who has spent and toiled study and research behind the scenes...

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a Christian, I'm insulted by literalists desire to confine the Bible, and especially the Old Testament, into the confines of the way we define our world. Yes, the Bible says God created the universe in six days. But, who is to say that the definition of "days" thousands of years ago was not man's futile attempt to distill God's work into terms we could understand?

To see the creation story in the Old Testament as literal truth flies in the face of what mankind has been able to learn through science. Evolution does not contradict the Bible, nor does our knowledge of the Big Bang and universal expansion. If those were some of the mechanisms by which God created the universe, who are we to deny it based upon what men wrote thousands of years ago?

To believe that all of humanity sprang forth from Adam and Eve (while ignoring that generations of humanity was, thus, born from incestuous relationships) and that a man named Noah traveled across oceans to retrieve two of every animal - including South American jaguars, Australian wallabies, polar bears and every micro organism we know exist in the depths of the ocean - somehow kept these carnivorous animals from eating one another on his big ship and released them back into their respective habitats where they proceeded to repopulate based on genetic inbreeding is absolutely insane and insulting.

2 people like this.
  5. DwightHoward13

Even though you might disagree with much of Christianity, I genuinely appreciate this comment you have made here. Many people generalize Christians, and it is completely unfair.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I'm a Christian, and to be honest, I do believe God created the earth in some way. He might have used evolution; He might not have. I don't know. So, what is my opinion on evolution? Well, natural selection makes sense. Other than that, I'm not really sure either way.

7. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

8. Buck Turgidson

...and why did the aquatic dinosaurs die? How did the freshwater fish live? How damnit?!? The story of Noah is literally ludicrous.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what is there to debate?

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's fine to say God created the universe,"let their be light" is a pretty good description of the Big Bang. But the fact that life and everything else in the Universe evolves over geologic and celestial time is indisputable. It's the laws of thermodynamics that energy states change. Getting stuck with a literal timeline is the problem. One could easily say that the incomprehensible complexities of natural selection is obviously a divine plan if you wanted to. There is certainly a big system that acts in specific ways.

I wanted to promote religion, I would say that God created the laws of physics so the Universe would evolved in a divine pattern.

11. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

FWIW I've seen these Creation guys in person. They came to my church last year and we'll be visiting the Creation museum sometime in the next couple of months. These guys are legit in terms of not being afraid. Someone mentioned above that the audience will be for the Creation guys, but they do visit very liberal college campuses and debate with alot of the students and answer alot of tough questions.

I just hope you evolution guys show respect accross the board to the men sitting on the opposite side of the table from you.

12. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

The key is, in order for evolutionist to win the argument and to persuade Creation-believers otherwise, they have to target the basis upon which the Bible sits, the very foundation of Genesis. It's this very issue however that lies deep within our beliefs and cannot be shaken. The Creation guys aren't trying to win over Bill Nye, however, they are trying to win over the people teeter-tottering with the idea Creation exist really as the Bible says it does.

God works outside of rules of life. Outside our comprehension. There will never be "evidence", only factoids about the growing number of people leaving the church strictly because of lost faith in the story of Genesis. If Genesis didn't happen the way the Bible said, then EVERYTHING else is suspect.

13. Nook

Nook Member

#1 You still go to a Church that let these guys speak?

#2 You are going to the Creation museum?

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You're right. Nobody can 100% refute Creationism because the foundation is based outside of empirical evidence.

However, everyone can absolutely agree that based on those principles, Creationism doesn't belong in science books.

15. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

That's true, no doubt. However, how about there is alot of proof that the founding fathers and even Columbus himself had strong faith in God that has been eliminated from textbooks? In a sense, its how America started. As we have drifted away from it, this country has really changed for the worse.

What Christians want is for the same rights to be given to people who practice other religions to be able to practice saying prayer in school, having public prayer groups, maybe even a class or two on it. Seems the only place to learn about the Bible is in church.

16. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Man, it's a real disappointment that our country has drifted away from Columbus' beliefs. Truly great individual there.

1 person likes this.
  17. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

What's wrong with that?

18. dback816

dback816 Member

And how exactly do they answer these tough questions besides quoting the Bible?

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Are you trying to imply that public schools currently cater to religions other than Christianity, and you are just looking for equal time?

20. Nook

Nook Member

The Founding Fathers were a mixed lot, like everyone else. Some were very religious (John Adams), others were not (Franklin/Jefferson) and some really didn't care (Washington). So ultimately, what relevance is there to have it in the text books? They are in text books not for their faith, but what they accomplished.

It is still taught in school books that the Puritans were religious and how the country was founded. So what is the gripe?

Christians already have the same rights as other religions in this country. Further, there is nothing that says a person cannot pray in school in private and on their own time.

Why should school teach the bible? Further, you are familiar with the seperation of church and state, correct?

Well yeah, that is how it should be. If you want to learn about the Bible, go to Church, go to a library or use the internet. There is lots of information.