1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Maher and Sam Harris arguing with Ben Affleck about Islam

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 4, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

glynch, just so that you know:

I am the liberal in this debate.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I haven't seen you address any of his arguments.

Rocket River's general argument:

I am

black and

therefore I am

entitled.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think it's very simply that he's German. There's some strong guilt association that he has with that. It's laughable when he starts calling people anti-Semitic when criticism is strictly of Israel and not Jews in general. He has to conflate the two to make his reactionary nonsense work for him. The anti-Muslim stuff is the cherry on top. Rather than going after the Saudis and Iranians who are the cause of most ME conflict he attacksMuslims generally. It's preposterous the double standard he keeps.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What is preposterous is that you think you can get away with the deafening silence from you in response to this post:

Address this question, please. You are trying to dismiss criticism of this as "anti-Muslim".

Do you think that it is not a cause for concern that the majority of Muslims in three countries with a combined population of 300 million people thinks that stoning of adulterers and killing people for leaving Islam is mandated?

How is pointing this out "anti-Muslim"? Do you think it would be okay if the majority of Americans thought that people should be killed for no longer being Christian? Would criticizing that make you "anti-Christian", or would you be speaking the truth?

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey I am a liberal,too and not particularly religious or conservative on social issues.

Let's say it, too. We don't like what appears to be the position of some followers of Islam on lots of issues such as gays, feminism, cliterodecotmies, joking about Allah or cartoons or some of the side issues.

But we strongly object to these differences on these types of issues being used as they are by our country and others as some half assed justification to bomb and kill hundreds of thousands of Muslims who are resisting us primarily for political reasons. Similarly we are against those who attempt to use these illiberal notions of some of these Muslims as a justification for Israel's ethnic cleansing and killing of civilians.

I am not talking about Mahrer who is not pushing a military solution to supposedly make these types of Muslims be more liberal by killing, torturing and bombing them till they get more moderate.

There is nothing inherently better or worse about killing folks through be-headings vs a hundred times more through bombing, sanctions etc. In fact the sheer size of these crimes against humanity committed by our side dwarf those committed by even the most frenzied Jihadi. That is important and to the extent that some of these critics think Christians and Jews who justify these crimes based on their interpretation of Judaeo-Christian morality it is horrible, whether they are more liberal with respect to social issues or not.

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

"We are used to seeing that anger". Really? That's your response? This superiority complex is an issue in itself. All societies have issues, lets not claim a whole group of people are superior in some way than another. It's a scary road to go down.....

If you demonize a group they are going to react accordingly...again its a bigoted and scary road to go down....

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I would argue that this is a post-Dubya characterization of liberals.

Before, Liberals were supporting the bombing of Kosovo in the name of liberal interventionism. The rise of the neo-con agenda gave birth to an alliance with Jewish interest groups with Christian fundamentalists who agree and fervently support a Jewish controlled state pre-Rapture (that falls in line with their literalist Scripture).

That alliance coupled with the amount of treasure lost by a Republican president sparked a reaction of where Liberals have evolved today.

Keep in mind that sanctions in the first Iraq war was considered the more non-violent alternative to keep dictators at bay. Without sanctions, military intervention comes into play. Without neither, one accepts the status quo of tyrants and dictators.

So my point here is that "a policy non-action by virtue of the actor being evil" equates to doing nothing. Doing nothing is pretty much a policy of non-interventionalism. Non-internventionalism equates to letting the status quo of allowing non-liberal ideals such as tyranny and despotism to exist.

So I can see ATW's stance, though my nuance isn't with the Islam itself but rather the Middle Eastern despots we prop up that peddle backwards ideals such as Wahabbism that never existed without government support pre-60s. My thoughts here is that post-WW2, the ME state was progressing towards modernization. When those nations faced the Middle Income Trap plus the Dutch Disease, that stagnation opened public acceptance of despotism. That coupled with the US's willingness for client states in oil rich or Israel friendly nations propped up the same despots that are peddling hate, who in turn are causing the backwards conditions that spark violent terrorist groups.

The fact that there are backwards cultures is because modernization halted and people were presented with an alternative ideal. A scapegoat into the rejection against the Western paradigm and back into cultural harkenings of previous Greatness of their Homeland.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Could you please address the opinion polls and the fact that more than half of the Muslim population of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Egypt demands the death penalty for leaving Islam? And 40 % of UK Muslims basically want the same, as they want Sharia law? And 1/3 of UK Muslims say "killing for Islam is justified"?

Is saying that this fanatism and absolutism is a major cause for concern "demonizing a group"?

It is not bigoted to criticize bad ideas, and the people who follow and act upon bad ideas.

Let me repeat it for you: I am the liberal in this debate. I am defending liberal ideas here, as opposed to the totalitarian idea of political Islam.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If someone is willing to kill someone for no longer agreeing with their ideology (as the vast majority of Muslims in many countries in the world are) - many of them will also be willing to kill someone (or tacitly approve of others doing the job for them) for not being followers of their ideology in the first place.

That, ChrisBosh, is bigoted and totalitarian.

To say "all societies have issues" is moral relativism at its best. I'd say that if the majority of people in a society is willing to see someone killed just because he doesn't share their ideology any longer, that is on a whole different level than "all societies have issues". A society where the majority is that intolerant is inferior.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

12. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

WOW! This is very eye opening. I was a little ignorant on the topic so I refrained from posting on it. This is scary stuff and should be reposted frequently. Thank you for actually backing up your arguments with facts.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I enjoy Maher's liberal/progressive takes on most things. But when it comes to religion, Maher is dead to me.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Why is that so?

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Bill Maher is ANTI-religion in every sense of the word. Not just Islam, but Christianity as well. And he often takes it beyond the point of disagreement and becomes blatantly disrespectful. I DVR and watch every single one of his Real Time w/ Bill Maher episodes on HBO, though I haven't watched this past week's episode yet. I enjoy the show, but whole heartedly disagree with nearly all of his takes on religion. And often times I find his takes offensive.

For that reason I couldn't care less about what he thinks in that arena. Other than that, I like the guy.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Maher's take: You're doing liberal wrong

Conservative Religious Right's: You're doing Christianity wrong.

Others': If you claim to be moderate peaceful Muslim, you're doing Islam wrong.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"Others" = ISIS and any Muslim who supports them or (explicitly or tacitly) approves of what they are doing.

They are trying to establish Sharia by force.

40 % of UK Muslims want Sharia in the UK.

The majority of Muslims in several of the most populous mainly Muslim countries wants a strict version of Sharia including stoning of adulterers and death for leaving Islam.

Would you call these people "moderate peaceful Muslims"? Just because they are many?

Personally, I don't think moderate, peaceful Muslims are doing Islam wrong. They are the only ones doing it right. But in my opinion, anyone who approves of killing someone just because they want to believe in something different is not "moderate and peaceful". And that is the majority of people in some of the most populous Muslim countries. We are talking about hundreds of millions of people who are not "moderate and peaceful".

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Apostasy seems illogical. If this religion is so great and will save your life why the extra motivation? Wait, I think saying Islam is illogical is punishable by death right? Never mind Exiled. Just joshing.

19. da1

da1 Member

Atw on his jihad against Islam as usual

20. downbytheriver

none of the muslim posters here ever address blatant issues such as this, it is becoming rather comical.